Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

I'm Not Gonna Miss You

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Dee

Re: I'm Not Gonna Miss You - Oscar Nomination!

Post by Dee »

I read a post on another site by a Glen Campbell fan about the two versions of this song. He appreciates the version with the Wrecking Crew members best -- feeling that it has a sweeter sound. He was really excited about hearing the differences between the versions.

The version that was released on September 30, 2014 is described in the liner notes as follows:

MIXED BY HOWARD WILLING | MASTERED BY HANK WILLIAMS AT MASTERMIX (NASHVILLE, TN) | PRODUCTION COORDINATION BY MIKE GRIFFITH, ALICIA MATHEWS, LAUREL KITTLESON | ACOUSTIC GUITAR – DANNY RADER |
ELECTRIC GUITAR – JERRY MCPHERSON | STEEL GUITAR – DAN DUGMORE | BASS – MIKE BRIGNARDELLO | KEYBOARDS – TIM LAUER | ADDITIONAL KEYBOARDS – BENNETT SALVAY | DRUMS – CHAD CROMWELL | BACKGROUND VOCALS – JULIAN RAYMOND

Listen to the official song release here: http://youtu.be/U8TsAh-zYFI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The version that was released by the Hollywood Reporter on December 23, 2014, showed the recording session with Wrecking Crew members: Hal Blaine, Joe Osborne, and Don Randi. This scene is directly taken from the documentary, I'll Be Me.

Listen to the documentary's version here: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/o ... rect=false" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can anyone hear differences between these two versions?

# # #

Randy

Post by Randy »

" Now I'm starting to understand that that's not where the strength of the song lies. It lies in Glen's heartbreaking vocals, the lyrics, the whole range of emotions that lies behind it."

Well said Cowpoke. That's exactly where it lies. It's a heart toucher!

I wasn't referring to musical differences. But the footage with the "Wrecking Crew" friends. That touched me that these guys were thought of , and these guys came. Friendships and love for each other these guys had is unbreakable. To me it's almost sad to say, but I believe those relationships like that , are sometimes stronger than relationships you may have with certain family members. I think ev1 understands my meaning on that. Hope so anyway.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Yes Mike, I agree. The song definitely has grown on me. Maybe it's also because Julian explained that it HAD to be a simple song, or else Glen, the Alzheimer's already in a fairly progressed stage, would not have been able to sing it. When I first heard the song, that was my main complaint, that musically, it wasn't that interesting. Now I'm starting to understand that that's not where the strength of the song lies. It lies in Glen's heartbreaking vocals, the lyrics, the whole range of emotions that lies behind it.

I don't hear much difference between the two versions. Mainly a few of the drum parts are different. But, is it me, or does the movie version have strings in the background and the record version not?

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

It's good to come back to the song after not hearing it for a few weeks. It seemed the impact was greater this time. Perhaps as Randy said seeing the new footage catches you off guard. It certainly enhanced my appreciation of the song, as I am sure it will for others. An Oscar would also help it no doubt. It may even re -chart. Here's hoping.

siblis

Post by siblis »

Randy....I saw that video a few weeks back & I also thought it was so cool to bring all those old guys back in with Glen to record that. I wonder who would accept the award should Glen win at the Oscars.......my guess is Julian, but I think he would invite everyone up on stage, including Glen's Family

Randy

Post by Randy »

Perhaps you guys have seen that version of I'm not gonna miss you with the wrecking crew members(Don Randi. Hal Blaine, Joe Osborne ),but I had not. It was moving for me to see that. Different footage in the video, and I have no preference at all. Both versions, to me are outstanding. But seeing this for the first time was something that caught me off guard. And who thought to elicit these guys for this. My guess is,,,,,

Julian Raymond

Randy

Post by Randy »

Quite simply, I think ev1 here is gonna love this.

WOW

http://www.musicrow.com/2015/01/glen-ca ... oscar-nod/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dee

Post by Dee »

I'll Be Me_GCF.jpg
I'll Be Me_GCF.jpg (5.38 KiB) Viewed 5530 times
"Oscar Reactions: What the Nominees Are Saying" as reported by the Hollywood Reporter:

From Julian Raymond, best original song nominee with Glen Campbell for "I'm Not Gonna Miss You":
"I kept notes forever about things Glen said, and one of them was, 'What are all these people worried about, I'm not gonna miss any of 'em anyway.' The song had to be simple so he could sing it — it couldn't be something complicated like 'Wichita Lineman.' He loved that piano vibe, like John Lennon sitting down to play piano. Not to compare it to Lennon, but it's a simple melody, a heartfelt song, like 'Imagine.' He wanted to sing what he felt. He said, 'Wow, this is a hit song!' like he was a kid and all his friends and family were around him. It was a pretty cool day. I saw him a few weeks ago, but he didn't know me."
See: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/o ... are-763953" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And here again is Hollywood Reporter's original review of "I'll Be Me" from October 23, 2014:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review ... -me-743438" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

From Yahoo Music: "Will Glen Campbell Add an Oscar to His Awards Collection?"

https://www.yahoo.com/music/will-glen-c ... 13011.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Dee

Post by Dee »

From The Tennessean: "Glen Campbell, Reese Witherspoon earn Oscar nominations"

A quote from Ashley Campbell about her Dad's Oscar nomination today

Nice vintage photos of Glen during his career

http://www.tennessean.com/story/enterta ... /21820173/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;