Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums On The Net
(c) 2014-2020 GLEN CAMPBELL FORUMS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Glen Campbell's Rockin' Holiday Albums and Song Releases

* REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL * 2017 CMA WIN! * PINTEREST * AND MORE
Dee
Site Admin

Re: Glen Campbell's Rockin' Holiday Albums and Song Releases

Post by Dee » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:41 pm

COMPILATION HOLIDAY ALBUMS

#3: "Glen Campbell Merry Christmas" (album)
Glen_Campbell_Merry_Christmas_album_cover_GCF.jpg
Glen_Campbell_Merry_Christmas_album_cover_GCF.jpg (14.15 KiB) Viewed 1589 times
Glen Campbell_Merry Christmas_Album Cover_Signed_ebay_GCF.JPG
Signed copy of Merry Christmas album_on ebay and not verified
Glen Campbell_Merry Christmas_Album Cover_Signed_ebay_GCF.JPG (32.2 KiB) Viewed 1529 times
The "Merry Christmas" album is a 1991 compilation of Christmas recordings by Glen. All of these recordings originally appeared on four prior albums:

"That Christmas Feeling" album (1968)
*The Christmas Sound of Music" album (1969) -- refer to the post titled “Other Holiday Songs From Various Artists’ Albums”
*Oh Happy Day" album (1970)
*The Night Before Christmas" album (1984)

Track listing

"The Christmas Song (Merry Christmas to You)"
"Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas"
"Christmas Is for Children"
"Silent Night, Holy Night"
"One Pair of Hands"
"White Christmas"
"Pretty Paper"
"It Must Be Getting Close to Christmas"
"There's No Place Like Home"
"The Night Before Christmas"

From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merry_Chri ... l_album%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dee
Site Admin

Post by Dee » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:35 pm

COMPILATION HOLIDAY ALBUMS

#4: "Glen Campbell Christmas" (album)
Glen Campbell_Christmas_album_cover_GCF.jpg
Glen Campbell_Christmas_album_cover_GCF.jpg (40.09 KiB) Viewed 1308 times
"Glen Campbell Christmas" is a compilation album that was released in August 2000 on the EMI-Capitol Music Special Markets label. It contains previously released songs as follows:

Seven tracks from That Christmas Feeling (1968)
"Silent Night" from The Christmas Sound of Music (1969) -- refer to the post titled “Other Holiday Songs From Various Artists’ Albums”
"O Holy Night" from Christmas for the '90s, Volume 2 (1990) -- refer to the post titled “Other Holiday Songs From Various Artists’ Albums” (Note that the “h” was dropped from “Oh” on this album’s song. –Dee)
"I Believe in Christmas" (from 1972) which first appeared on "The Wonderful World of Christmas" (1976) -- refer to the post titled “Other Holiday Songs From Various Artists’ Albums”

Track listing

"The Christmas Song (Merry Christmas To You)"
"Blue Christmas"
"Pretty Paper"
"I Believe in Christmas"
"Christmas Day"
"O Holy Night"
"Silent Night"

From: 2000 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glen_Campbell_Christmas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

# # #

#5: "Glen Campbell Complete Capitol Christmas Recordings" (album)
GC Complete Capitol Christmas Recordings_GCF_sm.jpg
GC Complete Capitol Christmas Recordings_GCF_sm.jpg (37.67 KiB) Viewed 1057 times
This holiday album is a compilation album of beautifully remastered songs that was released on November 6, 2015 by Real Gone Music (RGM) and Capitol Records. Real Gone had previously described Glen and his newest Christmas album on its website (http://www.RealGoneMusic.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;):
The statistics concerning Glen Campbell's career are staggering. Over 50-plus years in the music business, he has sold over 45 million records (and that's not counting the tens of millions more he played on as part of the Wrecking Crew), accumulated 12 Gold albums, 4 Platinum albums and one Double Platinum album, and placed over 80 different songs on the Country, Pop and Adult Contemporary charts including such iconic recordings as Gentle on My Mind, By the Time I Get to Phoenix, Wichita Lineman, and Rhinestone Cowboy. Yet, among his massive body of work, it is his Christmas recordings that might just be his most beloved.

Glen's easygoing, conversational way with a song and winning personality as seen by millions on CBS TV's The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour made him the perfect vehicle for Yuletide material both old and new, and thus his 1968 album That Christmas Feeling went to #1 on the Christmas charts and hit the charts three other times after that! But Glen (and his label, Capitol) weren't done with seasonal fare; three more Christmas albums were issued under Glen s name, each of which sprinkled new tracks in with songs taken from That Christmas Feeling.

Now, for the first time ever, ALL of Glen's Christmas recordings for the Capitol label have been gathered into one place on this Real Gone release, which includes the original 11 tracks from That Christmas Feeling plus seven more Christmas rarities for a total of 18 irresistible holiday favorites. Remastered by Mike Milchner at SonicVision, and featuring liner notes by Joe Marchese festooned with rare photos, Glen Campbell: Complete Capitol Christmas Recordings will remind you of just how great an interpreter of songs Glen was, and of just how vibrant a performer he was, too. The man's spirit and legacy remain undimmed.
The inclusion of two RARE, relatively unknown Campbell songs, "New Snow on the Roof" and "I Believe in Christmas", is reason enough to add this album to your holiday music collection! This CD may provide the first listen for thousands of fans who were unaware of these two songs until now!

Why? Both songs were recorded by Glen Campbell for a single released in 1972, only for the single to be retracted for an unknown reason. Only a few copies of this single are known to exist.

Later, these songs surfaced on two Firestone Company compilation / promotional albums (LP) released on the Capitol Records label. One of these albums was titled “The Wonderful World of Christmas” (1975) and featured Glen Campbell with Anne Murray, Tennessee Ernie Ford, Nat King Cole, Bing Cosby, Tony Orlando, Bobby Vinton, Dinah Shore, and The New Christy Minstrels. The Hollywood Pops Orchestra opens and closes the album with instrumental holiday melodies. On this album’s back cover, the track listings each have a brief description. For “I Believe In Christmas" sung by Glen Campbell, the description reads: “Glen examines the real meaning of Christmas and finds that the word is ‘love’.”

"New Snow on the Roof" showed up on a second Firestone promotional album titled “The Wonderful World of Christmas - Album Two" (LP) in 1976. This album features Glen Campbell and has a more “country” flavor than the first “The Wonderful World of Christmas” album. The other artists on this LP are: Dinah Shore, Loretta Lynn, Merle Haggard, Donna Fargo, Jimmy Dean, Freddy Fender, C.W. McCall, Pat Boone, and Ray Price.

“New Snow on the Roof” has never been released on CD. It is a Bill Graham (Glen's bass player) original!

Track listing

"Old Toy Trains"
"Little Altar Boy"
"Blue Christmas"
"The Christmas Song (Merry Christmas to You)"
"Pretty Paper"
"There’s No Place Like Home"
"I’ll Be Home for Christmas"
"Christmas Day"
"The Night Before Christmas"
"Silent Night"
"White Christmas"
"I Believe in Christmas"
"New Snow on the Roof"
"O Holy Night"
"The Christmas Song" (1990 Version)

# # #

Dee
Site Admin

Post by Dee » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:28 pm

Other Holiday Songs From Various Artists’ Albums

INTRODUCTION TO "OTHER HOLIDAY SONGS FROM VARIOUS ARTISTS' ALBUMS":

These one-off recordings (see below) by Glen Campbell are generally either only on the albums listed below or were newly recorded by Glen just for these albums--and therefore are different than the recordings of the same names on his studio/compilation albums.

These songs are among the rarest to find--or, at least, may be unknown to many fans.

(Note: this topic currently continues to page 3.) :arrow:

Dee
Site Admin

Post by Dee » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:22 pm

#1: "Silent Night, Holy Night" and "The Night Before Christmas"
Glen Campbell_Album Cover_The Christmas Sound of Music_GCF.JPG
Glen Campbell_Album Cover_The Christmas Sound of Music_GCF.JPG (47.5 KiB) Viewed 920 times
These rare recordings were released in 1969 by Capitol Records on a various artists album (LP) titled “The Christmas Sound of Music”, the title prefaced by “A Collector's Limited Edition / B.F. Goodrich presents”. "Silent Night, Holy Night” and “The Night Before Christmas" were apparently recorded during a two recording-only session in August 1969, a couple of weeks after Bobbie Gentry recorded "Scarlet Ribbons" & "Away In A Manger" (presumably) for this same album. Neither of these holiday recordings performed by Glen were released as singles (from Steve Hoffman’s forum).

Dee-Notables:
Liner notes on the back cover describe the album and end with the album’s title: “…all the great stars and memorable songs in this album have now become an important part of … THE CHRISTMAS SOUND OF MUSIC.”

Sealed albums are not stickered or labeled as a B.F. Goodrich release (unlike the Firestone releases), not that I have seen.

A personal lament: I wish Bobbie Gentry and Glen Campbell had dueted on "Scarlett Ribbons". I can just imagine how beautiful they would have sounded together on this song.

Al De Lory is credited for arranging and conducting Glen’s recordings that make up Side One:

Track listing

“There’s No Place Like Home” (previously released)
“Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas” (previously released)
“Silent Night, Holy Night”
“The Night Before Christmas" (Narrative with music)

All of the other artists on this album appear on Side Two and include: Ella Fitzgerald, Sandler & Young, Bobbie Gentry and The Lettermen.

:D Many thanks to a very thoughtful and generous Glen friend for gifting me this wonderful album.

Dee
Site Admin

Post by Dee » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:18 pm

#2: "I Believe In Christmas"
Glen Campbell_The Wonderful World of Christmas_Album 1_Cover_GCF.JPG
Glen Campbell_The Wonderful World of Christmas_Album 1_Cover_GCF.JPG (72.89 KiB) Viewed 920 times
This rare holiday song is from the 1975 Capitol Records album “The Wonderful World of Christmas” (LP) featuring various artists. It was also released later on the aforementioned compilation album, “Glen Campbell Christmas”, released in August 2000 on the EMI-Capitol Special Markets label). On the album’s back cover, the track listings each have a brief description. For “I Believe In Christmas—Glen Campbell”, the description reads as follows:
“Glen examines the real meaning of Christmas and finds that the word is ‘love’.”

Dee-Notables:
This album was a special “Seasons Greetings” promotional release for the company Firestone. If you find an original sealed LP, it should have a red sticker / label with “Seasons Firestone Greetings” on the front cover.

The other artists on this album are: Anne Murray, Tennessee Ernie Ford, Nat King Cole, Bing Cosby, Tony Orlando, Bobby Vinton, Dinah Shore, and The New Christy Minstrels. The Hollywood Pops Orchestra opens and closes the album with instrumental holiday melodies.

This LP, which is not labeled “Album One”, was followed up with “The Wonderful World of Christmas” – Album Two.

Dee
Site Admin

Post by Dee » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:03 pm

#3: "New Snow On The Roof"
Glen Campbell_The Wonderful World of Christmas_Album 2_Cover_GCF.JPG
Glen Campbell_The Wonderful World of Christmas_Album 2_Cover_GCF.JPG (76.11 KiB) Viewed 920 times
A VERY RARE recording from the 1976 Capitol Records album “The Wonderful World of Christmas” - Album Two (LP). It features various artists and has a more “country” flavor than the first “The Wonderful World of Christmas” album.

Dee-Notables:
Glen also sings “Blue Christmas” on this album.
It was a special “Seasons Greetings” promotional release for the company Firestone. If you find an original sealed LP, it should have a red sticker / label with “Seasons Firestone Greetings” on the front cover.
The other artists on this album are: Dinah Shore, Loretta Lynn, Merle Haggard, Donna Fargo (who opened for some of Glen’s concerts on the road), Jimmy Dean, Freddy Fender, C.W. McCall, Pat Boone, and Ray Price.
Cowpoke-Notables:
Both of the above songs, “I Believe In Christmas” and “New Snow On The Roof” were released on a single in 1972. Only a few copies of this single are known! The single was retracted for an unknown reason.
Later these songs surfaced on the compilation albums described above.
“New Snow on the Roof” has never been released on CD. It is a Bill Graham (Glen's bass player) original!

You can listen to it here:

Dee
Site Admin

Post by Dee » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:58 pm

#4: "Brightest and Best"
The A Strings_Home for Christmas_Album Cover_DZ.JPG
The A Strings_Home for Christmas_Album Cover_DZ.JPG (53.23 KiB) Viewed 920 times
From the album “Home for Christmas” (LP), The A-Strings, 1988, Warner Bros. Records. Glen Campbell appears courtesy of MCA Records, Inc. A RARE Glen Campbell holiday song!

Dee-Notables:
This album is a cool Nashville production! It's a mostly instrumental album that was recorded and mixed at House of David in Nashville, Tennessee by Lynn Peterzell, assisted by Tom Hitchcock. It was mastered by Hank Williams at Master Mix, Nashville. On the album’s front cover is a photograph of The A-Strings, the group of six string musicians (on violin, viola, and cello) featured on the album. The cover's photograph was taken at the Belle Meade Mansion in Nashville.

In addition to Glen Campbell, Kathy Mattea appears on this album, singing “The Christmas Song”. Kathy provides a testimonial in Glen Campbell's documentary, "I'll Be Me".

Dee
Site Admin

Post by Dee » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:52 pm

#5: "The Christmas Song"
Christmas for the '90s_Volume I_Album Cover_GCF.JPG
Christmas for the '90s_Volume I_Album Cover_GCF.JPG (43.02 KiB) Viewed 920 times
From the album “Christmas For The '90s, Volume 1” (cassette, CD), various artists, 1990 (re-issued 1995 by EMI-Capitol Special Markets), Capitol Nashville.
This album has a never previously released, special version of "The Christmas Song" sung by Glen. It was produced and arranged by James Stroud. A rarity!

Dee-Notables:
A holiday album with country artists. This 1990 release can still be found on ebay/US but is harder to find than Volume 2.

Track listing

"Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" - Eddie Rabbitt
"Blue Christmas" - Sawyer Brown
"Winter Wonderland" - Tanya Tucker
"Jingle Bell Rock" - Wild Rose
"I'll Be Home for Christmas" - Suzy Bogguss
"God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" - Garth Brooks
"The Little Drummer Boy" - Gatlin Brothers
"The Christmas Song" - Glen Campbell
"Silver Bells" - Lacy J. Dalton
"Thank God For Kids" - Eddy Raven

Dee
Site Admin

Post by Dee » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:44 pm

#6: "Oh Holy Night"
Christmas for the '90s_Volume 2_Album Cover_GCF.JPG
Christmas for the '90s_Volume 2_Album Cover_GCF.JPG (29.04 KiB) Viewed 920 times
From the album “Christmas For The '90s Volume 2” (Cassette, CD), various artists, 1990, Capitol Nashville.

Dee-Notables:
This version's "Oh Holy Night" is different from prior releases of “O Holy Night” and “Oh Holy Night”. It was produced by James Stroud. Another rarity! It's my personal favorite of this version, too, because Glen is in top vocal form. and you can hear Glen playing acoustic guitar on it (although there are no liner notes with this CD to confirm the latter.)
Tanya Tucker's recording of "What Child Is This" is beautiful, I think.

Track listing

"Star of Bethlehem" - Wild Rose
"Silent Night" - Garth Brooks
"The First Noel" - Suzy Bogguss
"Oh Holy Night" - Glen Campbell
"Have Yourself a Merry Christmas" - Eddie Rabbitt
"Away In a Manger" - Lacy J. Dalton
"Do You Hear What I Hear" - The Gatlins
"What Child Is This" - Tanya Tucker
"White Christmas" - Eddy Raven
"Please Come Home For Christmas" - Sawyer Brown

Dee
Site Admin

Post by Dee » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:37 pm

#7: "Silent Night"
Merry Arizona_1995_GCF.JPG
Merry Arizona_1995_GCF.JPG (65.72 KiB) Viewed 920 times
From the album “Merry Arizona / desert stars shine at christmas” (CD), various artists, 1995; released to benefit children with disabilities for United Cerebral Palsy of Central Arizona.

Dee-Notables:
According to some Glen Campbell fans, “Silent Night” is a previously unreleased and rare recording.

Sometimes this CD shows up on ebay/U.S. and the selling prices are all over the place!