Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Phoenix / Prayer medley

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Cowpoke

Re: Phoenix / Prayer medley

Post by Cowpoke »

Rob, you hit the nail with your head. Glen gave his band members a lot of opportunities. He recorded quite a lot of songs written by them. I especially love the songs by Billy Graham and the songs written for Glen by his organ/harmonica player Steve Hardin, like "Somebody's Trying to Tell You Something".

I had hoped that that Burt Bacharach DVD would become available on amazon.com, just like Glen's PBS concert did. But that hasn't happened yet, right?

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Dee

Post by Dee »

Rob, what a great way to end the old year and bring in the new--watching those great videos!
Glen was always so good about acknowledging the songwriters of his songs. In fact, the Songwriters Hall of Fame acknowledges Glen as a "Songwriters Friend" on their website! (http://www.songwritershalloffame.org/artists/C4113" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) Very cool.
You are a fan of good music!
Seeing Nancy Sinatra in concert (from a front row seat and close enough to see her TCB necklace from Elvis!) must have been wonderful... Can I ask what is the name of the song that Frank Sinatra had written / sung for Nancy?
I am intrigued that you own and have seen the PBS Burt Bacharach Special on DVD with the bonus track that features Glen Campbell and Dionne Warwick singing together! This set was released over a year ago, right?, when this program first aired on PBS? Is it now available for purchase elsewhere? Could you tell us which BB song they perform together?
Thanks so much for sharing information about this DVD set with its rarities as well as your ~~~musical~~~New Year celebration!
Happy 2015 to you and your wife!
Dee :)

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

Last night we also watched Frank Sinatra A Man And His Music TV Special that has a very personal song written and devoted to his daughter Nancy, we also found the Bing Crosby Christmas Special featuring Glen Campbell and watched a segment of Glen Campbell and family at home that must have taken place Christmas 1968.

As you can see, I'm a big fan of good music, had front row seat the last time Nancy Sinatra was in town, we have a picture of her from that show wearing a gold TCB lightning bolt necklace that had yo have been a gift from Elvis, while they showed clips from their movies, she was standing to the side of the stage, she couldn't keep her eyes off him, obviously her first love.

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

Last night as part of New Year's my wife and I YouTubed Glen Campbell, we use the Wii so we can enjoy our celebrities on a big 35 inch TV screen, I had spent yesterday trying to google who wrote Bach Talk, well, wouldn't you know, we found a clip last night of Mr. Glen Campbell on Crook & Chase from '96 where he gives full credit to his keyboardist Dennis McCarthy for writing and arranging Bach Talk... talk about an all providing universe... I noticed later on his career, Mr. Campbell turned to a number of his band mates for the songwriting credits, Bill Graham and Michael Smotherman among others, writing and contributing a number of songs on his feature albums, loyalties must run high, writing and producing that way. Very good to see an artist who believes in his people, so much talent to offer and share with the world.

I do know there is an entry in the book Jimmy Webb Tunesmith where he states no composes or arranges like Burt Bacharach, my wife and I agree one of Glen Campbell's strength is the ability to pick a good song, blending Bacharach & David with Webb into a medley has got to be a first of some sort, I own the CD featuring Glen Campbell and Anne Murray, quite a pairing, hot item.

I also own the PBS DVD Special devoted to Burt Bacharach with rare vintage clips from the 60's, one of the bonus tracks features Glen Campbell and Dionne Warwick singing together, well worth seeking out and acquiring, one of the highlights of my collection!

Cowpoke

Phoenix / Prayer medley

Post by Cowpoke »

For those who missed it in the Check Out This Link topic. Here's that wonderful blog on the collaborations between Nancy Sinatra and Glen one more time:

http://nancysinatra.com/blog/2014/10/pr ... -campbell/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's a long read but certainly worth it!

Glen and Nancy did two inventive, complex yet wonderful counterpoint duets on Glen's tv shows. One of them is "Memories / I'll Remember You.

However, the subject of this post is the first medley they did together, on the premiere of the Summer Brothers Smothers Show, on June 23, 1968: "I Say a Little Prayer / By the Time I Get to Phoenix".

On this other blog on nancysinatra.com you can listen to no less that 5 different versions of this medley!

http://nancysinatra.com/blog/2013/01/na ... ach-david/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The first duo to release the duet on record were Dee Irwin & Mamie Galore (Imperial 66334). Their version got to number 114 on Billboard's Bubbling Under Chart, in December 1968.
I always mistakenly thought that this was the first performance of the medley and consequently thought that arranger Monk Higgins put together the two songs in such an inventive way.
However, Glen and Nancy were almost half a year ahead of them!

The question now becomes: who DID arrange this brilliant duet? Was it Glen's band leader, Dennis McCarthy? Glen's conductor on the tv show, Marty Paich? Could Glen himself worked on it, with Nancy perhaps?Or was Jimmy Webb asked to make the medley? None of the recorded versions ever mention the person who arranged this medley.

Who can solve this new "Glen Campbell mystery"? :D

Erik, do you perhaps know more about the origins of this duet?

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...