Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

I'll Be Me: Critics' Choice Awards Nomination

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Rockynrudy

Re: I'll Be Me: Critics' Choice Awards Nomination

Post by Rockynrudy »

CitizenFour is even money to win. Since I'll Be Me was the only nominee not on the Oscar shortlist, it is probably the longest shot. But you never know. CitizenFour, Overnighters, and to some extent, Vietnam are political in nature. Life Itself and Jodorowski's Dune are about film. I'll Be Me has a unique blend of subject matter so maybe it can stand out in enough critics' minds. (I should note - I am not a professional handicapper.)

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

So, Rockynrudy, can one say that by looking at how the various Film Critics Societies around the country voted, we can get an idea how good or bad the chances are for I'll Be Me to win the Critics Choice Award?

You were right by the way, the Phoenix Film Critics did give the Phoenix Film Critics Society 2012 Award for best documentary to I'll Be Me. Thanks!

http://phoenixfilmcriticssociety.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Rockynrudy

Post by Rockynrudy »

Film awards are always fun to argue about. They mean something to a relatively small percentage of the public, mostly film geeks like me. Hopefully, they serve as a way to garner some publicity for deserving movies. It certainly doesn't hurt. To the best of my knowledge, I'll Be Me has gotten several Best Doc nominations from various critic associations and at least one win (from Phoenix critics, I think). The fact that it wasn't shortlisted for an Oscar nom is a huge oversight, but then, I'm somewhat biased. I think it was a better film than the likely Oscar winner, CitizenFour. Life Itself, about movie critic Roger Ebert, certainly could win Critics Choice, or the Oscar. It's very good. But so far, it has only won the award from Chicago Film Critics (Chicago was Ebert's home town.)

Like I said, fun to argue about.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Thanks for your answer Dee. Here at Glen Campbell Forums, we love long answers! A very interesting read. I was wondering, if that seal of distinction had any influence on the chances of winning the award? Or maybe it hurts the chances of winning it?
I fear that that movie about that film critic will probably win the prize! After all, it's the Critics' Choice Awards...

Dee

Post by Dee »

Well, Cowpoke, the Critics' Choice Awards is generally a big deal. From the Critics' Choice Awards' website:

These awards are bestowed by the Broadcast Film Critics Association ("BFCA") to honor the finest in cinematic achievement. BFCA is the largest film critics organization in the US and Canada and represents almost 300 television, radio and online critics. The winners are selected by the "very people who make a living watching and reviewing films", so it is quite competitive!

The awards will be broadcasted live in the U.S. on the A&E cable channel on January 15th, 9pm.

For more information, see: http://www.criticschoice.com/movie-awards/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and http://www.cbsnews.com/news/2015-critic ... announced/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[Just my opinion: Having shared the above info, I have to add my two cents that there are professionals at all levels in the film industry who believe that film criticism in general is no longer a reliable, accountable art form exercised by professional critics with academic film backgrounds. Anyone can be a "film critic" in the Internet age. Anyone can write for the mass-market. It takes an informed, educated critic to look at why a film works, how it works, what it means, and what effects it has on viewers, our society and culture, etc. These days, film criticism has been diluted by many other factors (lack of standardized credentialing for film critics, social media influences, box office earnings, channel(s) of distribution, etc.) Film critics such as Roger Ebert (RIP), formerly of the Chicago Sun-Times, and Vincent Canby (RIP) and Stephen Holden, both New York Times' critics, were/are few and far apart now. This isn't my opinion; I actually saw a well-researched and respected documentary about this topic a couple of years ago and attended a panel discussion with seasoned film critics and the CEO of a nationally-recognized independent film festival. All participants were disillusioned with the current and future states of film criticism, similar to the current, deplorable state of journalism-at-large in America.
Oh, gosh, don't ask me to chat about film awards and seals of distinction--I am the first to admit that I am somewhat jaded about such awards--in an industry that I very much love and admire.]

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Dee, movie expert, do you know what this seal of distinction means?

https://www.facebook.com/CriticsChoiceAwards" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Critics' Choice Awards
26 november ·
"Citizenfour" and "Glen Campbell: I'll Be Me" receive the Critics' Choice Seal of Distinction from the Broadcast Film Critics Association ‪#‎criticschoice‬
8 likes

Cowpoke

I'll Be Me: Critics' Choice Awards Nomination

Post by Cowpoke »

Cool. The movie has been nominated for a Critics' Choice Award.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/b ... ics-757554" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;