Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Glen & Esther Ofarim

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Dee

Re: Glen & Esther Ofarim

Post by Dee »

Re-posting Conny's request for information about Esther and Abi Ofarim's appearance--along with Glen Campbell--on BBC One from 4 October 1968 (see posts below).

If you have any information about this BBC program, please let us know. Thanks!

Dee

Post by Dee »

Hi, all,
I thought I would re-post Conny's request for help in finding a BBC One show with Esther and Abi Ofarim--and Glen Campbell. If you have any information on this episode or how Conny can find it, I hope you will share it here. Thanks so much,
Dee

January 1, 2015

Hi,

I have just registered to this forum, because I was searching in the internet for information about this show:
ESTHER AND ABI OFARIM
BBC One London, 4 October 1968
The internationally famous duo sing songs of many lands
This week's star guest, GLEN CAMPBELL
Musical director, JOHNNY PEARSON
Sound. Len Shorey
Design. Peter Brachacki
Production. STANLEY DORFMAN
First shown on BBC-2
Glen Campbell swept the board for Grammy awards for the best singer in America this year with his record ' By the Time I Get to Phoenix.'
He sings this tonight as well as his ' I Wanna Live.' He also has a duet with Esther.
Among songs by Esther and Abi Is ' Go Tell It on the Mountain.'
http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/50b794713b1c ... 5562e11e17" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am a big fan of Esther Ofarim and owner of her website and would like to know which song Glen Campbell did together with Esther as a duet.
Unfortunately I cannot find any further info about this show in the internet, that's why I hope someone of this forum
can help me to find this out!
I also would be very much interested in an audio- or video recording of this show or any pictures of Esther and Glen.
Of course I'll reimburse all costs incurred and more.
I hope someone could tell me more about this show!

Best regards from Germany
Conny of http://www.esther-ofarim.de" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Conny, thank you for posting about Glen and Esther. It's the first time I heard about that performance. I asked the writer of that blog about that cover version of Cindarella Rockefella by Glen and Lulu. It occured to me that Lulu was a guest on the Summer Brothers Smothers Show (and later on the Goodtime Hour too btw). Now I'm thinking that maybe Glen and Lulu did a version of Cindarella Rockefella on that summer replacement show!

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
conmad

Post by conmad »

Thanx for the replies!
Yes, that could have been, that they sang Cinderella Rockefella in a duet. Esther did this often at this time on other shows with other singers in duet.

Propably this show has only been showed once in 1968 and not later in any repeat.
Also it is not in the BBC archive. As all "Esther & Abi show of the week" episodes, where this is part of, have been deleted by the BBC.
So there is only hope that a fan has recorded it in 1968 and still has got the recording.

siblis

Post by siblis »

I have been collectiong Footage of Glen for many yrs on Beta, VHS, DVD, 16 mm, etc.... & i have never come across that show, I never even knew Glen was on that particular show.

Dee

Post by Dee »

Thanks for this research, Cowpoke!

I think the Smothers Brothers is a good link. Esther appeared on the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour. Glen had had a couple of appearances on this series, too. Here's the clip of Esther with the Brothers: http://youtu.be/oUHlCGNtHBo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dee

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

It's difficult to find more about that tv performance with Esther and Glen. However, there are more connections between the two than I initially knew.

Esther and Abi's biggest hit Cindarella Rockefella was written by Mason Williams, who also performed the song on the Smothers Brothers Show, according to this blog...

http://www.steynonline.com/6481/cinderella-rockefella" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Since Glen did the summer replacement show the Summer Brothers Smothers Show, with Mason as a writer, that might have been how Glen got introduced with The Ofarims.

The blog even mentions a version of Cindarella Rockefella by Glenn (sic) Campbell and british singer Lulu, but I never heard about that before either!

Maybe Glen did Cinderella Rockefella with Esther on that BBC show? I still think they probably did one of the Bobbie Gentry duets though.

Dee

Post by Dee »

I have been reading about Esther and Abi Ofarim and watching some of their videos on YouTube. They are awesome!
Also, is it just me or does Abi resemble Glen Campbell? This snapshot is from a video from 1963.
E and A.jpg.gif
E and A.jpg.gif (15.44 KiB) Viewed 7855 times
There are many video clips from the 1960's of this folk music duo on YouTube, so I have hope that we can help to find the BBC program you are seeking, Conny!

Dee

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Wow, great question Conny. I must say I never heard about this performance before. I will try to find more information about this. If I were to make a guess, I think Glen might have done one of duets he did with Bobbie Gentry. After all, their album had just been released in september 1968. In August 1968, Glen had been a guest on Bobbie Gentry's UK tv show, also on BBC television.
Thanks for your post!

Dee

Post by Dee »

Welcome to the Glen Campbell Forums, Conny!
We appreciate your call for help to locate more information about a rare 1968 BBC One show, ESTHER AND ABI OFARIM, with Glen Campbell as guest.
You have provided us with a good challenge. Perhaps one of our members / readers from the U.K. will have the info (and recording) you are seeking.
I and other fans here would especially love to hear the duet with Esther and Glen!
Thank you for sharing the link to your well-organized website. I hope to be able to listen to the website's mp3 files to learn more about Esther and Abi.
Kind Regards, and Best Wishes for the New Year!
Dee