Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Glen Campbell Swingin' 12 String Guitar Album?

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
robduloc

Re: Glen Campbell Swingin' 12 String Guitar Album?

Post by robduloc »

Hey... it's a beginning!

robduloc

Re: Glen Campbell Swingin' 12 String Guitar Album?

Post by robduloc »

I am so glad to discover this discussion, because you are in my neck of the woods right now, my wife and I get up at 4 in the morning, and when we get off work around 2:00 I like to play a lot of the albums that you are talking about, because they help me calm down after a busy bustling day, and that is what I have to say about the musical arrangements, busy, bustling and most soothing and calming, a nice way to diffuse.

It has been an incredible journey to hunt down and obtain these albums, I relied on Son Of Flintstone and his reviews to educate me, a customer on amazon.com I would highly recommend to look up his profile and everything that he has to say about the Glen Campbell discography, he isn't very hard to find or pull up, he has reviews for all the early recordings.

My journey to start buying and collecting these astounding guitar instrumentals and lovely soothing arrangements began with making sure that I secured an original pressing of The Astounding 12 String Guitar Of Glen Campbell which included the original set of songs because to my horror, the vinyl reissue and MP-3 version of the album remove a couple of the songs, and a day without The Ballad Of Jed Clampett featuring Roy Clark on banjo is, well, a day without sunshine, there I said it.

Okay, so the next big thing was to buy the two albums that were released upon the world through the Glen Campbell fan Club, The Artistry of Glen Campbell is one of his main albums, a double album two sides of traditional public domain songs and two sides of instrumentals, side three and four are the instrumentals which opens with Havila Nagila, we listened to that set today, the opening song is most joyous, I played with our three kitties today while dancing around to that.

So, we're swingin' here, little plastic sticks with fake raccoon tales, a' jumpin' and a' swishin' to Havila Nagila, before I have to sit down and take a breather, most content.

Yes, these instrumentals have a way of lowering blood pressure.

I learned the version the version that youu should buy of Folk Swingin' Harpsichord With 12 String Guitar The Sidewalk Swingers feat. Glen Campbell and Leon Russell is the original vinyl version with the orange and yellow streaming strobes of light on the album cover, don't cheat yourself by buying or listening to a digital download.

If you have to, go to Goodwill and look for a couple of good speakers, and a music store that specializes in amps and turntables, amazon.com is a good place for electronics too.

Well, that was quite a triumph to find and locate and buy the defintive version of The Sidewalk Swingers, I listen to it at least once a week or more.

So here are the two big clinchers for me, original vinyl versions of. "12 String Guitar! the folkswingers", lower casing on the front album cover for the folkswingers title, because well, I suppose, they are just folks*~

Yes, this is the album which features Glen Campbell on 12 String guitar, Rod Dillard guitar, Doug Dillard Ballard banjo, Dean Webb bass, pat yourself and your friends and family on the back when you have the opportunity to sit down and take this one in, the album has 13 tracks, most albums at the time had 10, talk about pushing the envelope.

Gene Clark loved the Dillards, look for albums where they played together, but you, folks, it all started here, think of the dinners, conversations, history, connections being made while while the folkswingers were... swinging!

That leaves one last feat, triumph or conquest, at least for right now, are you ready? I am so amped out by now, to buy and own these records, Ladies & Gentleman....

MR. 12 STRING GUITAR original vinyl copy, the last song is an ultra rare Glen Campbell original titles THE "IN" CROWD, in bold print like here and "IN" in quotation marks, yep.

And contributing musicians listed on the back of the album cover.

GLEN CAMPBELL- 12 STRING GUITAR/BOB MORRIS- GUITAR/JERRY COLE- GUITAR, FENDER BASS/LAWRENCE KNECHTEL-HARMONICA. ORGAN/LYLE RITZ- BASS/TOMMY MORGAN*- HARMONICA/DONNY COTTON- DRUMS/RICHIE FROST**- DRUMS

*All I Really Want To Do, Subterranean Homesick Blues, Blowin' In The Wind, The "In" Sound
** All IReally Want To do, Catch The Wind, The "In" Sound

I'm getting goose bumps entering this line up, original copies aren't too hard or expensive to find, personally, I am amazed by the ineptness, expertise and passion of the vinyl community, preserving and selling copies of these early 60's recordings, I purchased my copies for around 15 dollars apiece plus S&H.

In closing, I have found the albums that I have listed a big part of my vinyl collection, and lots of hours of listening pleasure built into them, but then that's Glen Campbell for you, world's greatest musician, front man and backer.

Love,
Rob

Happy listening

arlw

Re: Glen Campbell Swingin' 12 String Guitar album?

Post by arlw »

Below are a few more from MY collection--there are a lot of Glen 12 String Material that is imported as well!![/b

Folk Swingin’ Harpsichord With 12 String Guitar – The Sidewalk Swingers – Warner Brothers Records # WS-1532. Manufactured and distributed in Canada by The Compo Company Ltd., in Quebec. The record is also printed in Canada. Artists include, Russell Bridges, Glen Campbell on guitar, Jimmy Bond, Hal Blaine, and Bill Cunningham. Glen appears through courtesy of Capitol Records. He is acknowledged on the back jacket. Label is gold in color, and is near mint condition. (S-38855). Release date is about 1964.

RICK NELSON – BRIGHT LIGHTS/COUNTRY FEVER – CDCHD-670. MCA Records Inc., purple label, licensed courtesy of Universal Music (UK) Limited. This CD is imported and made in the UK, ACE label is printed on the disc. LC-5982. This CD has 2 albums on one CD. Bright lights came out in 1966, and Country Fever was released in 1967. Rick’s main session guitarist recommended that Rick put out a country album and that he should use this studio session player by the name of, Glen Campbell. Glen is super hot on the 12 string picking throughout. Also something else to hear that is great is the two voices blend when Glen sings harmony on the cut, “Walkin’ Down The Line.” Rick does some standards like “Welcome To My World”, “Hello Walls”, but one in particular that is so great is Glen’s own “Here I Am.” Great CD-this was a special order CD. Comes with a booklet written up by John Stafford, who wrote this in 1997. The original label is on Decca. On the COUNTRY MUSIC session, Glen was brought in to play the bass guitar, so he actually played the bass/12 string on these 2 records of Rick Nelson. Leon Russell was also brought in to play the bass on some sessions. This CD was released in 1998 by ACE Records Limited, in London. Glen is listed inside the jacket for his superb talent.

Bluegrass Special – Various Artists – World Pacific Records, black colored label WPS-21898. Artists include, The Kentucky Colonels, The Folkswingers, The Stoneman Family, Tut Taylor, Clarence White, and Glen Campbell. No date is given, I would say about the mid 60’s era. World Pacific Records-Entertainment from Transamerica Corporation, Copyright is Liberty/UA Incorporated. Glen is on 3 tracks. They are “Black Mountain Rag”, “East Virginia”, and “Gotta Travel On.” These songs are all done with The Folkswingers. Glen plays the 12 string guitar on all 3 tracks. He is acknowledged on the back jacket, and appears courtesy of Capitol Records, Inc.

12 STRING GUITAR – THE FOLKSWINGERS. This LP is on BLUE VINYL! WORLD PACIFIC RECORDS – stereo. WP – 1812. 12 String Guitar/Folk Blues and Blue Grass. Glen Campbell on the 12 String Guitar, Rod Dillard on Guitar, Doug Dillard, Banjo, Dean Webb on Bass. Glen Campbell appears through the courtesy of Capitol Records, Inc. This is an original recording, copyright is, 1963 by World Pacific Records. A Subsidiary of Pacific Enterprises, Inc. This is the same as the other released 1812 on World Pacific Records, except, this is in BLUE VINYL AND A VERY RARE/UNIQUE RECORD! The LP is in very good condition, considering its age, and the jacket is also in good condition. This album is 38 years old-at the time of the purchase!!

12 String Guitar! - The FolkSwingers – Glen Campbell – RARE imported record album from the United Kingdom/London, .W.I. This record is on the FONTANA Label, a World Pacific Recording. 688-008-ZL. The Fontana Label is black with Silver writing, has BIEM/NCB written on the record. It is near mint condition. The jacket has the shiny gloss to it and is totally different from the original release of World Pacific recording WP-1812. Jacket is in very good condition. This is the same album, but imported. Made and Sold by Fontana Records under rights from Interdisc SA. This recording is in MONO. No date is listed on this album but it does mention that the recording was first published in 1963. Essex Music/Southern Music/Blossom Music/Kensington Music/Cross Music/Mecolico/Campbell Connelly. 688-0081L./688-0082L. Glen Campbell on the 12 String Guitar, Rod Dillard also on the guitar, Doug Dillard on the Banjo, and Dean Webb on Bass. Glen Campbell appears courtesy of Capitol Records., Inc.

The Twelve String Story Volume1 - Featuring “The Greatest 12 String Guitarists”. The release date is 1963. Horizon Records in Stereo WP-1626.Distributed Exclusively By Vee Jay Records. Copyright 1963 by Davon Music Corporation. This is a various artists LP featuring Bob Gibson, Glen Campbell, Frank Hamilton, Joe Maphis, Billy Strange, Fred Gerlach, Tommy Tedesco, Howard Roberts, Jim Helms, Mason Williams, Dick Rosmini, and Jim McGuinn. Glen Campbell does “Redwing.” The write up on each artists are on the back of the jacket. The record and jacket are near mint condition. This LP is 43 years old. Glen Campbell was 27 when he recorded this album. This was back in his studio guitar days! What makes this LP unique is that this record has the “WHITE” label on it so it is considered a promotional release. The original record has the black colored label Also across the top of the label of the record they list Glen Campbell on side 1 and 2 as “GLENN CAMPBELL.” But when it lists the “TRACKS”-they have it as “Glen Campbell”, so it is a typo on the label. It is printed correctly on the jacket as well. A very rare LP and in Stereo too.

Swinging 12 String Glen Campbell” – This is a rare imported LP from London on the “Plum London Label”. The release date is 1966 and this record is in MONO. HA-F-8291/ AEL. 2899/AEL.2898..The jacket is glossy as most of the imported jackets are. It is in very good condition, and the LP is also in very good condition. The back of the jacket shows a picture of Glen Campbell from the early 60’s time frame in black and white. This “Swinging 12 String LP features Glen Campbell on the Twelve String Guitar with Harpsichord.” 1966 The Decca Record Company Limited, London. HarpThe IN group consists of Glen Campbell wailing on the Twelve String Guitar, Leon Russell playing the percussive harpsichord, Tommy Tedesco on the Six String Guitar, Jimmy Bond on Bass and Earl Palmer on the Drums. The jacket has been laminated by a British Company .The jacket was also printed in England. There are 12 total tracks on this LP. Two of the tracks were arranged by Glen Campbell. “East Virginia Blues” and “Fair and Tender Ladies.” Nice write up on the back jacket. The label is purple/plum colored and says “LONDON Long Playing American Series.” Ambassador Music/Southern Music. Recorded by DAVON, Hollywood GEMA-Kensington Music/Essex Music/Burlington Music/Montclare Music. N.C.B./B.I.E.M. This Instrumental LP from 1966 is considered quite rare from London, England as its 40 years ago that it was recorded by Glen Campbell.

arlw

Post by arlw »

Welcome to the forum! Hope this helps from what I have in my collection.

"The Swinging 12 String - The In Group" - In Records, 1002.
Featuring Glen Campbell Twelve String Guitar with Harpsichord. Leon
Russell plays the harpsichord, while Glen plays the 12 string guitar.
Distributed by Dart Records, Chicago, Illinois.

"The 12 String Story - Volume 2" - Featuring the greatest 12
string guitarists. Distributed exclusively by Vee Jay Records,
Horizon Records, Copyright 1963 by Davon Music Corporation WP-1635.
Stars featured: Glen Campbell, Frank Hamilton, Joe Maphis, Billy
Strange, Tommy Tedesco, Fred Gerlach, Howard Roberts, Jim Helms, Mason
Williams, Dick Rosmini, Jim McGuinn.

"The Big Guitars Of Glen Campbell, Mason Williams, 12 String
Guitar Band, Billy Strange, Howard Roberts, Tommy Tedesco, Jim
McGuinn, Joe Maphis". Glen does, "Walk Right In", "The Man With The
Golden Gun", "Get The Bird Flyin'", and "Virginia". Side A is "Heavy
Guitars" PTP-2040 (SPC-3203), B is "Heavy Guitars" SPC-3203. Record
number 2 side 1 says "Nitty Gritty Guitar" PTP-2040 (SPC-3148) side 2
says "Nitty Gritty Guitar" PTP-2040 (SPC-3148).

"The Guitar Greats" - Glen Campbell, Mason Williams, Joe Maphis,
James McGuinn, Billy Strange. Glen performs one song on 12 string
guitar - "Get The Bird Flyin'", Everest Records FS-243. Record has
never been opened, new.

"The Electric 12 / The Bandits" - World Pacific Records, # 1833.
All instrumental songs. Glen plays the 12 String electric
Rickenbacher guitar. This was released in 1964.

"12 String Guitar - The Folkswingers" - World Pacific Records,
Stereo, WP-1812. Glen plays 12 string guitar, Rod Dillard on guitar,
Doug Dillard on banjo, and Dean Webb on bass. Songs are "If I Had A
Hammer, Black Mountain Rag, Walk Right In, Wildwood Flower, The Answer
Is Blowing In The Wind, Midnight Special, Cottonfields, Columbus
Stockade Blues, Rye Whiskey, Bull Durham, Wabash Cannonball, Dark As A
Dungeon, and This Train". No Date given.

The Nitty Gritty Guitar Of Mason Williams, Howard Roberts, Glen
Campbell, The 12 String Guitar Band, Billy Strange. Pickwick Records
SPC-3148. Glen does, "Get The Bird Flyin", and "Virginia". No date
given.

Glen Campbell Plays 12 String Guitar - ONA-5001, Onacrest label,
Springboard International Records, Inc. No date given. Instrumental
Only. 10 total tracks on this LP- The label is yellow in color. This was also released in an 8-track form and is identical to this album-cover art and tracks with no date given. Speculate that most likely this is a 1974 release on this label but the tracks are actually earlier than that.

12 String Guitar! Vol. 2. The Folkswingers - World Pacific
Records # 1814. This album is on red vinyl. Glen does, "12 String
Special". Some surface scratches, otherwise in good condition.

Just to name a few---will check some more for you-Cowpoke is right-the only way to get ALL the tracks is to have the VINYL!! Welcome once again.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Hi Maheen,
can you hear our replies to your posts on the forum? I hope that works. I don't have that vinyl album by The In Group (including Leon Russell and Glen) myself, but I do have all the songs on it, since they have been rereleased quite a couple of times, in digital format. That is to say, 10 of the 12 original tracks. The other two have been rereleased only once I think, digitally. The tricky part is that the rereleases have used different names for the songs!

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
maheen30

Glen Campbell Swingin' 12 String Guitar Album?

Post by maheen30 »

Hi all! Do anyone here have a copy of Glen's first guitar album, Swingin' 12 String Guitar? If so I would be thrilled to hear from you! I have Big Bad Rock Guitar and the Astounding Guitar. My email is
maheenw_30@outlook.com
Thanks!