Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Glen Campbell Swingin' 12 String Guitar Album?

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
robduloc

Re: Glen Campbell Swingin' 12 String Guitar Album?

Post by robduloc »

Okay, I'm back one more time for now, I just purchased vinyl editions of "The 12 String Story"- Vol. 1 & 2.

For around a total of 23 dollars with S&H.

I believe they were originally released around 1963, the perfect compliment for the other titles that I I found and purchased here.

CD-R Note is indeed the impetus to snatch up whatever I can find on vinyl before it falls off the face of the planet.

Seeking to preserve some of the initial spark and fire~

Love,
Rob

Dee

Post by Dee »

What is a Bulldurem?
Not exactly sure that there is a connection, but on some 12-string albums, Bulldurem is spelled Bull Durham, right?

Here is one guess. There was a baseball player by the name of Bull Durham. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bull_Durham_%28pitcher%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another guess: a well-known tobacco company was known by the name of Bull Durham. This company dated back to a time just after the Civil War in America.
Bull Durham Smoking Tobacco, also known as “Genuine Bull Durham Smoking Tobacco,” was a world-famous brand of loose-leaf tobacco manufactured by W.T. Blackwell and Company in Durham, North Carolina. that originated around the 1850s and remained in production until August 15, 1988. Over the years, the brand changed ownership multiple times, yet continued to be one of the most successful tobacco brands of all time. The brand is most commonly associated with its highly successful advertising campaigns that revolutionized the advertising industry.
(From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bull_Durha ... ng_Tobacco" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Rob, thanks for your insight regarding Sidewalk Swinger. It seems logical to me that the group would have borrowed the name of a type of marketing signage that would have been used more commonly in the sixties.

You are really moving along in building a treasure trove of a collection!

Looking at former forum posts and prior posts in "Glen Campbell Forums" is really an excellent way to learn about Glen's discography (among other topics). Without exaggeration, the Glen Campbell Forum(s) is the only source for some of this discography information that has taken dedicated fans years and years of time to compile, validate, document, and share with others. The value of this information is the primary reason we backed up Glen's forums (and continue to back up) from as far back as possible, years, making mirror images periodically to capture interim changes and saving these files in a secured environment.

# # #

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

I think that I am going to wait to find and buy a vinyl copy of The Swinging 12 String Guitar by The In Group.

They are getting more difficult to locate, one more way to make money and pad the pockets for digital remaster outfits, I suppose.

All the more necessary to take the time to track down all this misplaced gold.

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

Hi, everybody,

I just purchased Glen Campbell Country Shindig on amazon.com for 8 dollars plus S&H

I managed to pull up one copy of Glen Campbell & Leon Russell Way Back When but it was going for $170.00!

It was nice to see the artwork on the front cover, a line drawing of Russell after he grew his hair long and Glen Campbell looking sharp as ever, a real vintage period piece for an album cover.

Your links are helping me learn what to look for and buy, and so if you enter one of these discussions I really am learning to traverse the waters, by page three or four, I've bought and listened to a number of items I would've never known about if I didn't have the forum for a reference.

When I go back and read through all the lists and items it is like a tot learning to speak and articulate for the first time whether I want Fruit Loops or Pancakes for breakfast.

A huge learning curve what is out there to seek, buy and own.

I love the list of instrumental albums here because you have supplied the year of their original release, which can be very hard to find or learn before it became more commonplace to include on a record.

I am disappointed that I bought the CD Edition of The Big Guitars, I could've had the vinyl version with the song credits for around the same price.

Far as I can tell the four songs on The Big Guitars that feature Campbell are written by him, Hooten Part One, Get The Bird Flyin', Bullduram, and Shindiggin, yes?

Does anyone know some background on these songs, for instance I thought Shindiggin was a dance song tied to the Shindig Show, but it is much more gritty and sounds like a song about, well, someone who earns a living as a ditch digger!

This weekend I did buy the two compact disc editions of the Sagittarius album projects and the compact disc edition of the mid sixties Lee Hazelwood Girl Group backed by The Wrecking Crew.

And the other week I had an epiphany.

I learned what is a "Sidewalk Swinger".

They're the swinging metal porcelain signs on a metal stand used to attract and lure people off the street into a store, real popular in their day, I guess the group were saying that they were... open for business*

I am starting to alphabetize all the instrumentals and albums in this discussion, there are a handful of gems composed by Campbell.

What is a Bulldurem?

Thank you.

Rob

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

This might be interesting to add. So, as has already been mentioned, in December 1963 an album was released called "The Swinging 12 String" by The In Group, featuring Glen Campbell (12-string guitar) and Leon Russell (harpsichord) (IN 1002). See: http://www.bsnpubs.com/veejay/in.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
IN 1002
IN 1002
in1002.jpg (18.28 KiB) Viewed 5511 times
This album has been released under Glen's name in different forms many times since. The first rerelease was already in 1965 titled "Country Shindig" (apparantly inspired by the peak in popularity Glen experienced while being on the Shindig! tv show in 1965).
SS 1007
SS 1007
country_shindig.jpg (15.82 KiB) Viewed 5511 times
When some of those wikipedia articles were written, I was under the impression that some of the songs on "Country Shindig" were new, because the titles didn't all match up. However, after a friend of mine took a close listen, it turned out to be slightly different. Here's a list of the songs on both albums and how they relate to each other.

The Swinging 12 String --- Country Shindig
Hooten' Part 1 ---
Cottonfields --- Cottonfields
Stringin' Up A Twelve --- The Man with the Golden Gun
Gospel Harp --- Gospel Harp
East Virginia Blues --- Country Shindig
Greenback Dollar --- Greenback Dollar
If I Had A Hammer --- If I Had A Hammer
Cherry Beat --- Cherry Beat
Greenfields --- Greenfields
Fair And Tender Ladies --- Shindig Hoot
Hooten' Part 2 ---

So, contrary to what I wrote on wikipedia not the majority but ALL of the tracks on "Country Shindig" and other later rereleases where taken from The Swinging 12 String.
However, two songs are still missing, namely Hooten' Part 1 and Hooten' Part 2, two short, similar but slightly different tracks.

This is where the album "The Big Guitar" on Surrey (SS 1014) comes in.
SS 1014
SS 1014
surrey1014.jpg (19.31 KiB) Viewed 5511 times
This album contains 4 tracks by Glen Campbell: Redwing and Bull Durem (which are unrelated tracks that were first released on The Twelve String Story Volume 1 and 2 on Horizon records in 1963) and Hooten' Part 1 and Shindiggin'. Well, as you can guess Hooten'Part 1 is the same track as the one on The Swinging 12 String. And Shindiggin' turns out to be Hooten' Part 2!

Some last comments... these tracks have also been released as "Way Back When" by Glen Campbell and Leon Russell on Koala records (1979). There is also an album solely credited to Leon Russell, called "Looking Back" (1973) with basically the same tracks. This album contained a new track called Our Winter Love which later has been digitally released under both Leon's and Glen's name.

In 2009 the album was finally rereleased under the original bandname "The In Group".
Essential Media Group
Essential Media Group
sw12.jpg (46.96 KiB) Viewed 5511 times
However, it didn't contain the 12 original tracks but the same 10 partially renamed tracks as all of the other earlier rereleases.

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
robduloc

Post by robduloc »

A couple minutes ago I purchased volume 2 of the folkswingers featuring the Dillards, I had to dig into an old box of quarters to pay for it, six dollars plus S&H, worth every penny... my people!

I mean, you had to budget and allot for these albums at one time, right?

Thank you for all the lists that you submitted here, they have proven to be quite a grocery list~

See you at the check out lane.

Instrumentals that will be nice to own and play as we shift into summer.

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

The other day I bought the compact disc version of the Three Big Guitars of Glen Campbell/Billy Strange/Howard Roberts.

There are two different versions, the only difference being the artwork for the compact disc album cover, I bought the version with the red background and yellow lettering for around ten dollars, the original vinyl had 12 songs and the compact disc versions are missing two of the original tracks, I need to find out which ones, the original vinyl copy appears to be extremely rare.

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

I own Dylan Jazz by the Gene Norman Group.

The guitar work sounds like a hollow body rhythm and lead electric guitar made popular by Jazz combo's in the late 1940's.

The main lead instrument is sax, heavy wet full sound reminiscent of Stan Getz in the early 60's.

Dylan Jazz is the one album that leaves me scratching my head, most eclectic, but you know, Carol Kaye talks about being a jazzer and coming from a be bop background.

So if you find yourself buying and listening to Dylan Jazz, put on some nice threads and throw on some heavy perfume or cologne and be prepared to be entertained for a night on the town!

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

I am so thankful Dee shared this thread with me, all the incredible comments and lists.

I am striving to make sure that I haven't missed a major work.

This morning I found there is a second volume featuring the Dillards, that is quite a revelation.

And I am working hard to try and figure out if there are two different albums featuring Leon Russell on harpsicord, all your lists have truly helped.

Dee

Post by Dee »

"Front man and backer" -- Rob, I had never thought of Glen Campbell as "front man and backer" but of course these words well describe his career!

Profound: "12 String Guitar! the folkswingers", lower casing on the front album cover for the folkswingers title, because well, I suppose, they are just folks*~
Lower case for the folkswingers because they were "just folks"! Love it!

Rob, please see the list below...is this the definitive list of Glen's "12's" and related instrumental albums on vinyl? Could you possibly provide the record numbers for each one that you own?
Would it be too time-consuming to also identify which of these albums were later reissued on albums, maybe under a budget label (and what were the names of these reissued albums and CDs -- also which ones were minus a couple of tracks)? --or-- we could all work on this list together, it would be a tremendous help to collectors here.

All but "The Astounding 12-String Guitar of Glen Campbell" are studio albums by groups of which Glen Campbell was a member at the time:

1963 12 String Guitar! The Folkswingers
1963 12 String Guitar! Vol. 2 The Folkswingers
1963 The Swinging 12 String The In Group
1964 The Astounding 12-String Guitar of Glen Campbell
1964 Folk Swingin' Harpsichord with 12 String Guitar The Sidewalk Swingers
1964 12 String Dobro Tut Taylor and the Folkswingers
1965 The Electric 12 The Bandits
1965 Dylan Jazz The Gene Norman Group
1965 Mr. 12 String Guitar (by the group Mr. 12 String Guitar???)

Then, there is "Glen Campbell Plays 12 String Guitar" on Onacrest 5001 which I own (the majority of these tracks were taken from The Swinging 12 String originally released by The In Group featuring Glen Campbell on twelve string guitar and Leon Russell on harpsichord). I have tried to locate the year of release for this Onacrest, but cannot find this info. Very frustrating. I think this same album was released on a budget label, Buckboard???

Then there are other guitar albums to add to this instrumental guitar mix such as:

1963 The Twelve String Story, Volume 1
1963 The Twelve String Story, Volume 2
? Folkswingers Special (Glen plays guitar)
1963? The Three Big Guitars / Glen Campbell / Billy Strange / Howard Roberts (released on vinyl, then later on CD)
1965 The Big Bad Rock Guitar of Glen Campbell (Glen's studio album; not a collaborative album)
196? The Heavy Guitars of Glen Campbell, Mason Williams, Tommy Tedesco (and others)
196? 12 String Guitar / Motion Picture Themes
1966 The Twelve String Guitar of Glen Campbell
196? The Guitar Greats (Glen Campbell, Mason Williams, Joe Maphis, James McGuinn, Billy Strange) -- This compilation album might have been reissued by Pickwick as "The Heavy Guitars of Glen Campbell, Mason Williams, Joe Maphis, Jim McGuinn, Tommy Tedesco -- year unknown) ???
196? 12 String Guitar / Motion Picture Themes (on World Pacific). I am not sure if Glen is on this album. It was listed on the back of Mr. 12 String Guitar with number ST-1822 / WP - 1822.
1979 Way Back When (/w Leon Russell) on the Koala label; contains instrumental songs only, the majority of which were taken from The Swinging 12 String originally released by The In Group featuring Glen Campbell on twelve string guitar and Leon Russell on harpsichord. [I don't own this album and am curious about the other tracks that did not come from The Swinging 12 String/In Group/featuring GC.]

The above lists are the extent of my lists. But all of these titles may not be a complete and definitive list. Or perhaps the first list above is the definitive list and then the next set of album titles are mostly reiterations, reissues, or compilations (except for TBBRG and perhaps The Heavy Guitars/The Guitar Greats). Any help to obtain a complete list of the original titles (and record numbers and labels) and the reissues (with record numbers and labels) would be a tremendous help!

Rob, I am so glad you are enjoying the instrumental albums you have discovered!

And many thanks for your info: "Folk Swingin' Harpsichord With 12 String Guitar The Sidewalk Swingers feat. Glen Campbell and Leon Russell is the original vinyl version with the orange and yellow streaming strobes of light on the album cover, don't cheat yourself by buying or listening to a digital download." Is this vinyl on the IN Records label, #1002?

Thanks!
Dee