Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Share Your Memories of The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour!

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Dee

Re: Share Your Memories of The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour!

Post by Dee »

Hi, Shelia,
So it was Kane, and, yes!, thank you--now I remember that the song Glen sang to Kane was Little Toy Trains. How perfect!
Didn't Kane fall asleep to the sound of his Dad's voice, right on television?
No, I am sorry, I don't remember the Buffy St, Marie show; maybe if I saw it again, I would remember it...especially with Glen giving her flowers. I had never heard of Glen and Buffy not getting along during rehearsing for the GCGH. I wonder what was the back story?
I do remember some talk, maybe even controversy, with the network and Linda Ronstadt not wearing shoes during her appearance. Does this story ring a bell with you?
Can you imagine? A television network getting upset about a shoeless but extraordinary singer!
Dee

shelia6673

Post by shelia6673 »

I remember the Christmas show and that was Kane and if memory serves me he sang Little toy trains. That was the first time too that I had ever
heard Billie speak. I missed the pampers commericals when they aired but again thanks to the good old forum and you tube I have now saw those
commericals. Remember the show with the singer Buffy St Marie where Glen brought her flowers? I had read somewhere that she and Glen hadn't
saw I to I with each other during the rehearsing and when it came time to tape Glen brought her flowers :D Really nice guy isn't he :) :)

Shelia T

Dee

Post by Dee »

The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour (GCGH) started for me when Glen Campbell hosted The Summer Brothers Smothers Show in 1968. Like Shelia, my family had only one television in the house. We were so poor we had to watch TV by candlelight.

Almost always, it was a family feud over “who got to watch the TV”, so it was a battle for me to be able to watch the GCGH.

From the start, I was instantly mesmerized by Glen Campbell. The thing I remember most is Glen’s solo performances when he would look into the camera and sing. There was something magical about how Glen made his performances on camera, personal. I felt like he was singing to me, as if there were no physical distance between him and me. Glen could have just as well been sitting in my living room, performing live. I don’t think I have experienced anything like this with any other artist on television.

A second memory is one of appreciation for the variety of guests on the GCGH. Glen introduced me to music that I had not heard previously—including country music of the late sixties/early seventies. GC made it “cool” to like country music.

I didn’t know as a young kid that Glen was covering other artists’ songs, songs that I really fell for, so Glen expanded my love of pop music to country, bluegrass, folk, soul, classical standards (of the Frank Sinatra kind), rock, etc.

A third memory is, of course, those cool Ovation guitars and how easy Glen made it look to play them. It was on the GCGH that I first saw a killer guitar player in action—GC! (I had missed those Shindig! and Star Route shows.)

A fourth memory...I remember being so enamored with Glen and the GCGH that, at some point, I started to document each episode, writing mini summaries that noted each show’s guests, the songs GC sang and his duets with other performers (“set lists” before I even knew what set lists were), comedy skits that Glen was in, funny jokes that he told, his humble mentions of new albums, and the occasional words of wisdom he shared with his audiences (for example, the importance of protecting the environment). I even reviewed the shows, giving them ratings! lol I didn't do this for other television shows, so this shows how much the GCGH impressed me...I wanted to remember everything about every episode I watched!

Maybe these mini summaries were the start of … The Glen Campbell Forums? Or, at least, my collecting and documenting of All Things Glen. ;)

One last memory to share that has stayed with me throughout my life: On a holiday episode of the GCGH, I remember Glen singing a Christmas song to his infant son lying in a crib (I think it was Baby Kane). Glen was so sweet and gentle with his son that I just never forgot that tender scene.

I could go on and on…

But I’d love to hear other fans’ memories of The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour!

Dee

Randy

Post by Randy »

Great story Shiela,,,, Memories like that are priceless. And that you mention the Carol Burnett reruns being on,,,, I have my DVR at home set to record anything that will have "Glen Campbell" in the synopsis and a couple of weeks back it picked up one of those Carol Burnett shows with Glen making an appearance and doing some very funny comedy with Carol.

shelia6673

Post by shelia6673 »

Hey Guys,

Has it really been 46 years since that first show. I too watched everyone and at the time we only had 1 tv in the house, believe it or not one, now we have
3 in my house and if our daughters home all 3 are going at the same time. Anyway back to the 1 tv it was mine when the goodtime hour came on and
my Mama and Daddy would leave the room as I would not let them talk at all. Guess what I got for my next birthday my own 13 inch b/w tv :lol: :lol:
but when Glen was on I still got the color TV. It was really nice when he came on at 6:30 on Tuesday's cause that was after the world new with Walter
Conkite and he had just given the body count for Viet Nam that day and all the was pictures of the day so nice to see Glen stand up and "Hi, I'm Glen
Campbell" Have always loved country music and Glen introduced alot of the country stars to LA and nationwide tv. I really liked the Christmas shows
where he would have his family on, of course the one with John Wayne was good, the one with David Cassidy was good too. Remember I was 13 at the
time and I did have a crush on David too but it didn't last long. I wish one of the retro channels would get the goodtime hour and put it on every week
one of ours has 30 min Carol Burnett shows. We can always wish.

Take Care
Shelia T

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

siblis, those must be special memories for you. I hope you got enough good grades to see every show. :D
As I said in another post I never saw anything of Glen from this period until the box set of Glen's shows The Good Time Hour and the Music Show were sold as a 3 x VHS set. What I would give to be able to go back in time and record them all on to DVD.

siblis

Post by siblis »

I saw just about every episode of Glen's show when it aired, it never ran in syndication , except for the shows that CMT ran back in the early 2000's. My Grandmother who lived above us in our 2-family Home, had a color TV set, so if I had good grades I got the chance to watch Glen's show in color!!!!!

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Good topic Dee.
I was unable to see Glen on this programme much to my sadness. I don't think it was broadcast in the UK. However I did manage to buy the 3 VHS box set of Glen on the show with two other videos of the Glen Campbell music show. The Goodtime hour video is the episode with John Wayne on it. This was the very first time I had seen Glen live singing in his heyday. I just loved watching this video. Of course Youtube has now come along and other fans have shared other shows with me but the excitement I felt at watching that first video was fantastic. A very happy time to remember. I guess it was equal to those of you who witnessed the original shows being aired for the first time.
Dee, did you actually watch the shows when they were originally broadcast.

Dee

Share Your Memories of The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour!

Post by Dee »

FORTY-SIX YEARS AGO, THE GLEN CAMPBELL GOODTIME HOUR PREMIERED ON JANUARY 29, 1969!
The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour_GCF.jpg
The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour_GCF.jpg (21.48 KiB) Viewed 6070 times
Hi, Forum Friends! We thought it might be fun for us to share our memories of The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour show with each other! Whether you watched the Goodtime Hour when it originally aired or watched video clips from various episodes on YouTube, why was the Goodtime Hour a good time for you? Who were your favorite guests? What songs of Glen's do you remember him singing and why? Do any of the comedy sketches still stand out for you? Did Glen's rockin' guitar performances on the Goodtime Hour inspire you to learn to play guitar? Or was one of Glen's regular guests, perhaps Jerry Reed, your inspiration for playing?

To help us jog our memories, here's a video montage of The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour that was uploaded on YouTube by forum friend, Hair:

Thanks in advance for sharing your memories!

Dee

# # #