Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Announcing Glen Campbell's Newest DVD/CD Releases

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Cowpoke

Re: New DVD / CD Releases

Post by Cowpoke »

Just to be sure: there are two albums that contain different versions of Long Black Limousine: Big Bluegrass Special and Too Late To Worry, Too Blue To Cry. Whether there is a difference between the single version and Too Late To Worry, Too Blue To Cry album version I don't know.

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Dee

Post by Dee »

Hi, Ar and Cowpoke, I appreciate the information about the single, Long Black Limousine, being different from the album version.
I didn't know that there was a difference between the two.
Why? lol Because I had just assumed that the single was the same as the album track and didn't play the Limo side of the single. :|
Now I will!

Thank you for the Jerry Naylor CD details and The Crickets' session information, Ar. I hope to be able to find this single "I'm Not A Bad Guy." Would this single have been recorded/released before or after Glen signed with Capitol Records?
That's very cool information about Glen Campbell and Jerry Naylor co-writing the song, “Yesterday’s Teardrops”. Maybe someone will put it up on YouTube someday soon. :)
I can't tell you how much we appreciate your discography and sessionography contributions to Glen Campbell Forums, Ar!
It's still amazing to me how you were able to build your collection before the Internet ("World Wide Web") became available to the public!

Hope you and your family were all safe from the devastating tornadoes in your home area this week.

Dee

arlw

Post by arlw »

regarding the Crickets-Glen was very much involved with them as he and Jerry Naylor were in some of their sessions! Here is one CD from my collection.

The Crickets - The Liberty Years - CDP7-95845-2, EMI Records
USA. 1991 release on Liberty. Glen was the guest vocalist on the
song, "I'm Not A Bad Guy." He harmonized along with Jerry Naylor.
This song was the flip side of, "Don't Ever Change." Original release
date was April 13, 1962. :D

I think this one sums it all up-from my collection:

Jerry Naylor - The Rockabilly Legends-A Tribute To My Friends – The Ultimate Rockabilly Anthology. This CD is produced by Jerry Naylor. The Jerry Naylor Company, a 2001 release. There are 23 tracks on this CD. Glen does a song with Jerry that was never released called “Yesterday’s Teardrops.” There are many artists on here. Booklet is included. He sent a signed poster of this CD along with some pictures of him and Glen Campbell. This is a terrific CD. The Rockabilly Legends, A Tribute To My Friends Jerry Naylor, former lead singer with The Crickets after the untimely death of Buddy Holly. This 23-track CD, a first of its kind, is the soundtrack for the upcoming three-hour television/DVD documentary production, "Tribute to the Rockabilly Legends." This NEWLY RECORDED Rockabilly tribute Anthology CD production includes the revival of the best of Elvis, Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, Gene Vincent, Buddy Knox, Jerry Lee Lewis, Bob Luman, Johnny Horton, Charlie Rich and of course, Buddy Holly, the man from whom Jerry Naylor inherited the mantle of lead singer of the Crickets. The CD also includes never-before-recorded original material, including a 1959 Rockabilly song which was lost for decades, originally co-written by Jerry Naylor and Glen Campbell for Elvis Presley. The "Tribute to My Friends" Rockabilly Anthology revives a unique historical chapter in American music history and Jerry Naylor, accompanied by an extraordinary group of seasoned musicians, sings each track with an updated vitality that, while true to the original classic recordings, makes each track sound like a first-ever release.
:lol:

arlw

Post by arlw »

Long Black Limousine was released as a single along with the Don't Ever Change one. Glen is very much heard on this Crickets 45 and also plays guitar throughout. The release on that was 1962. I have BOTH 45's...I love the picture sleeve one on Long Black Limousine! Thanks Dee and Cowpoke.
Ar

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Dee, "Long Black Limousine" was first released on single. After that "Kentucky Means Paradise" followed on single, which led to Glen's first Capitol album called "Big Bluegrass Special" which contained a different (bluegrass type) version of "Long Black Limousine". Glen's second album was "Too Late to Worry Too Blue to Cry" which had the version of the song that had been released as a single.

Hope this makes sense! In any case, there are two versions and both have been previously released.

Yes, it's a bit strange that they included Don't Ever Change by The Crickets (on which Glen does a very recognizable harmony vocal throughout the whole song). It did find its way into the discography that is appended to Glen's Rhinestone Cowboy autobiography, so maybe that is where they found it.

Dee

Post by Dee »

arlw, thanks so much for your heads up about the release of "Ballads and Bluegrass".

Questions:

What is the background for the alternate version of "Long Black Limousine" included in this set? Was it ever released? If so, is this the first time it is available on CD?

Also, do you think it is odd that "Don't Ever Change" released by The Crickets (and not Glen Campbell) is included in this new CD set? Maybe Glen played guitar on this song or sung harmony? Still, it's not a Glen Campbell song. Has it previously shown up on a GC compilation album?

arlw

Post by arlw »

Check out Amazon.com for another new release of Glen Campbell. This one shows no cover art yet, but does list the tracks. It's am imported CD with 2 discs!
Ballads and Bluegrass-Glen Campbell. January release and now a pre order!

arlw

Post by arlw »

http://www.ccmusic.com/country-album/600753644218" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

check this site out, this is a 2 CD set and is imported. Glen does 2 tracks.
ar

jamesy

Post by jamesy »

Thanks cowpoke - I don't get in this day & age why we are all muckin about makin different versions. But there you go, it is what it is.......ta for the info and happy thanksgiving

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Hi Mike,
as far as I know there is no release date planned for a region 2 version of the I'll Be Me DVD. The documentary did air a few times on British television recently. I'm sorry I cannot be of more help to you.