Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Announcing Glen Campbell's Newest DVD/CD Releases

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Dee

Re: New DVD / CD Releases

Post by Dee »

That price is crazy, ar.
The CD is not listed on Rockbeat's site.
Maybe it was pulled for some reason!

Question, was the soundtrack to "Norwood" ever released on CD?

arlw

Post by arlw »

Dee,
That "Love Songs" was available here in the US at Amazon.com--the cost WAS $10.89 and I didn't order it. They now show this CD still offered here but the price has tripled in price! Take a look--I might have to wait once again as I am not spending that kind of $ either! Here is that link.

http://www.amazon.com/Love-Songs-Rockbe ... e+Songs%22" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

UNREAL!

Dee

Post by Dee »

Hi, ar,
I just noticed the new amazon compilation album, Love Songs, is not available in the U.S. (yet?). The current prices on amazon/UK are £15.99 and £22.43 (it has two different listings), which is too costly for me to buy (if all tracks are previous releases).

I found a possibly helpful review (note it was written by an amazon vine reviewer who gets free stuff) on amazon/UK for "Glen Campbell, Ballads and Bluegrass". The price of the CD has finally come down on both the amazon UK and US sites. Do you have this one yet? I am curious about the pictures included in this set. I assume one of the images mentioned by the reviewer is the cover photo (which I really like!)?

Dee
GC_Ballads and Bluegrass_Front CD Image-gcf.jpg
GC_Ballads and Bluegrass_Front CD Image-gcf.jpg (46.27 KiB) Viewed 5347 times
5.0 out of 5 stars.
By C. FULLER TOP 100 REVIEWER VINE VOICE on 22 Jan. 2016
Glen Campbell, Ballads and Bluegrass, NOT2CD593

Campbell (born April 22, 1936) is best known as a country music singer & guitarist who is also a songwriter, television host, and occasional actor. He is best remembered for a number of hits in the 1960s and 1970s, and for hosting a variety show called The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour on CBS television. He was a frequent visitor to the United Kingdom.

During his incredible 50 years in show business, he has released more than 70 albums. He has sold an amazing 45 million records world wide and accumulated 12 Gold albums, 4 Platinum albums and 1 Double-Platinum album. He has achieved a total of 80 different hit songs on either the Billboard Country Chart, Billboard Hot 100, and/or the Adult Contemporary Chart, of which 29 made the Top 10 and of which nine reached number one on at least one of those charts. Glen's hits include recordings of John Hartford's "Gentle on My Mind"; Jimmy Webb's "By the Time I Get to Phoenix", "Wichita Lineman", and "Galveston"; Larry Weiss's "Rhinestone Cowboy"; and Allen Toussaint's "Southern Nights".

This new 32 track set covers single and album recordings from 1961 and 1962 released on the Crest label and Capitol Records.

The liner notes by Kingsley Abbott tell the story of Glen's early years in the business and the recordings on this set. Nicely packaged with 2 CD sized colour images and 1 black & white image.

Running times CD1: 38.43 & CD2: 37.18...includes the whole of Glen's first album for Capitol Records.

Big Bluegrass Special is the début album by American singer-guitarist Glen Campbell, released in 1962 by Capitol Records.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Not a really new release anymore, but I found this review of Glen's 2015 compilation album The Early Years interesting to read.

http://www.theaudiophileman.com/#!glen- ... arly/c22e5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Dee

Post by Dee »

Wow, thank you Mike for your very detailed and helpful discography information about the two versions and sources of Turn Around Look at Me.
I can't believe I hadn't noticed that two different versions were out there.
It was interesting to read about the Ember release of Hey Little One, and only now I realize why you were looking for the Capitol (US) version of HLO.
This album is not easy to find in good condition with no "ring-around-the-jacket". It's great that you found the album and were able to add Take Me Back to your music collection, one of those songs that Glen sings/cries that is so beautiful to listen to.
The Capitol album is also notable for its cover photo of Glen with one of his guitars. Oddly, there aren't as many "Glen with guitar" studio album covers as one would have thought, I guess. (Unlike "Ghost On The Canvas" picturing Glen, one of his Ovation guitars, and the Ovation guitar case. How cool was that for Glen's last studio album?)

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Hi Dee,
On the Legacy box set, on CD 1 the first track is Turn around look at me. It credits Jerry Capehart as the sole writer and as the producer also. It was released on Crest #1087 in 1961. Its highest Billboard position was 62 and it début was 30/10/1961.
CD 1, Track 15 Turn around, look at me (New version) credits Glen Campbell - Jerry Capehart as the writers. This was produced by Al De Lory who also conducts the orchestra for the song. It also states that the song was recorded on the 8th and 18th January 1968 at the Capitol recording studios. The song was included on the Hey Little one album.
Interestingly enough the UK Ember version of the Hey little one album was re- titled Turn around look at me. Same cover but new title.This album Ember NR5042 Although produced by Al De Lory only credits Jerry Capehart as the writer but is the new version. (Glen and Jerry are both credited on the Hey Little one album.)The album mixed up the playing order of the songs and the songs Crying and Gentle on my mind were also added to the album as are a number of others from the Gentle on my mind album and Phoenix. The track "Take me back" was not included and I have only been able to get it by obtaining the Hey Little one album. I hadn't realised this track existed until a few years ago.
As we know, this situation of not being credited,really upset Glen at the time.
It is interesting to note how Glen's voice has matured when you compare the two versions. I think it was a good idea to re-record the track for that reason alone. I also noticed Dennis McCarthy and Bob Felts are listed as musicians on the recording of the new version.

Dee

Post by Dee »

Hey, Mike, there are two versions of Turn Around Look at Me? Please tell us more about these versions!
~~
Glen Campbell may appear in a video segment on a new limited edition (10,000) Blu-ray set (region free) titled "The Monkees – The Complete (Television) Series". We would love to receive confirmation from a Monkees fan about whether Glen Campbell makes an appearance on the set.

According to an Entertainment Examiner news article*, all 58 episodes will be included as well as a 10th disc with:
...original screen tests, original Monkees TV commercial spots for Kellogg's cereals and newly discovered outtakes from the series. It will also include rare Monkees appearances on other shows not seen since their original airing, including a newly discovered color promo film for "Randy Scouse Git" created for "Top of the Pops"; the Monkees on "The Johnny Cash Show" in 1969, singing "Nine Times Blue" and "Everybody Loves A Nut" (the latter with Johnny Cash); an appearance on "The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour" in 1969 doing a medley of "Last Train to Clarksville"/"I'm A Believer"/"Salesman" and also singing "Tear Drop City"; and a guest spot on "Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In" in 1969.
Interestingly enough, The Monkees' performance of "Last Train to Clarksville / I’m A Believer / Salesman" (Original Air Date 2/5/69) on the Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour was already released on DVD in December 2012 on the GLEN CAMPBELL AMERICAN TREASURE limited edition box set (Surfdog Records).

The sticker price for The Monkees' set is a shocker but may be worth every penny to a Monkees fan (what do you think, LU?).

More information about The Monkees box set (apparently only available from their website) can be obtained here:
http://monkeesstore.warnermusic.com/mus ... u-ray.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(*Rarities in 'The Monkees – The Complete Series' Blu-ray set revealed / Entertainment Examiner (USA) - January 12, 2016)

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

The same is true of turn around look at me. For those of you who have the Legacy box set, you will find both versions on the first disc. It seems a number of tracks were re-recorded with Al de Lory strings added and of course recorded in stereo.

arlw

Post by arlw »

http://www.amazon.com/Ballads-Bluegrass ... n+campbell" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The above is a picture of the new 2 disc CD coming out-I just noticed a pic of it now!
Ballads and Bluegrass - Glen Campbell Import
Glen Campbell (Artist) Format: Audio CD

Audio CD (January 25, 2016)
Number of Discs: 2
Format: Import
Label: Not Now

Not familiar with this Label, but they are ready for pre-orders!!!

Dee

Post by Dee »

Um, yes, I was confused, Cowpoke.
Thanks for dissipating the FOG on my end. :D

Stay tuned for my report back about the versions.