Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Glen Campbell - 2015 ACM Award Nomination

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Dee

Re: Glen Campbell - 2015 ACM Award Nomination

Post by Dee »

Kickoff week for Glen's 2015 ACM award nomination for BEST VIDEO OF THE YEAR continues!

Today's question: what "role" did the Red Barrel Nite Club play in the beginning of the ACMs?

Take a look at these vintage photos, and then post your answers!

[Click on each photo once in order to enlarge viewing window.]
Red Barrel Exterior_GCF.jpg
Red Barrel Exterior_GCF.jpg (42.76 KiB) Viewed 5259 times
Red Barrel_GCF.jpg
Red Barrel_GCF.jpg (45.07 KiB) Viewed 5259 times
Dee

# # #

Dee

Post by Dee »

Cowpoke, your answer below reminded me of a scene from "I'll Be Me", the documentary:

Glen and Kim are walking down a hallway at the Mayo Clinic.
Glen is talking, using his quacking "Donald Duck voice".
He changes back to his own voice and asks:
"People say: is there no end to this man's talent?" (referring to his DD imitation)
And Kim replies:
"Is there no beginning?" and laughs.
Glen smiles.
This little joke of Glen and Kim's must be a long-standing one in their marriage.
I believe Glen has used this same joke on stage, too. :)

Anyway, Cowpoke, I can't believe you guessed that this group photo (below) was taken at an unofficial awards banquet, the first banquet that would eventually evolve into the ACM Awards show or "Country Music Awards of Southern California" as it was known in its first few years of existence.

Cowpoke, is there no end to your Glen Campbell knowledge? lol

You guessed correctly, too, about Billie Jean and Gene Davis at this table gathering.

From left to right, going around the table, this group included:
Glen Campbell; Glen’s former wife, Billie Jean; Red Rhodes and wife; Clyde Griffin and wife; Glen Garrison and wife; Johnny Dallas; Claude and Janet McBride; Jerry Inman and wife; Gene Davis and wife; and Tommy Wiggins.

Glen was instrumental in the creation of this awards program for the country music artists who were based in LA, California. These West Coast artists were not being recognized in '63 (and earlier) for their contributions and accomplishments in country music. A small group of musicians/singers decided to do something about this lack of recognition. According to This Is Country: A Backstage Pass to the Academy of Country Music Awards*, "It was after a spirited round at Los Alameda Golf Course with songwriter and publisher Eddie Miller...and then up-and-coming session musician and singer Glen Campbell that the idea came for a West Coast country music awards presentation." (p. 19)

Glen was one of the early visionaries for the ACM Awards Show!

How sweet is it that in 2015, 52 years after the first "ACM" awards banquet, Glen Campbell has been nominated for an ACM award! However, this nomination is not his first one. More about Glen's nominations and wins to follow.

*Source: http://www.amazon.com/This-Country-Back ... sic+awards" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dee

# # #

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Wasn't this taken at one of the first ACM Award shows? I only recognize Billie Jean, Glen's wife and guitarist / bandleader Gene Davis, sitting opposite of them.

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Dee

Post by Dee »

Yay, Shelia!!! Thank you for voting!!!
Everyone, please keep voting through the 15th at http://theboot.com/video-of-the-year-20 ... ards-poll/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This award would represent another circle in Glen's life as I hope to show here this week.

To kick off the week prior to the 2015 ACM Awards, let's first start with the photo below!

QUESTION: Do you recognize Glen in this photo? It was taken in 1963! Do you know where and why it was taken? How does it relate to the ACM Awards? Recognize anyone else in this group?

[Click on photo once in order to enlarge viewing window.]

Glen Campbell_1963_GCF.jpg
Glen Campbell_1963_GCF.jpg (80.04 KiB) Viewed 5280 times
ANSWER TO WHO IS IN THIS GROUP PHOTO:
From left to right, going around the table, this group included:
Glen Campbell; Glen’s former wife, Billie Jean; Red Rhodes and wife; Clyde Griffin and wife; Glen Garrison and wife; Johnny Dallas; Claude and Janet McBride; Jerry Inman and wife; Gene Davis and wife; and Tommy Wiggins.
Dee

# # #

shelia6673

Post by shelia6673 »

Just voted and Glen is at 61.51% closet is Keith Urban at 15%. YEAH!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Dee

Post by Dee »

Hi, Deborah,
I just voted again. 59.41% !
Dee

Dee

Post by Dee »

Thanks so much, Deborah, for staying on top of this poll for ACM's best video of the year!

I last voted first thing this morning. Glen's percentage on the poll has slipped this week from 65% to 59.04%.
As other artists' percentages move up, Glen's moves down!

I will try to vote once every hour!

http://theboot.com/video-of-the-year-20 ... ards-poll/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Deborah

Post by Deborah »

Commenting just to bring this one back up to the top. Let's keep the numbers rising - vote every hour until it closes!

Dee

Post by Dee »

ACM Nom_I'm Not Gonna Miss You.jpg
ACM Nom_I'm Not Gonna Miss You.jpg (23.18 KiB) Viewed 5272 times
From ACM's website, the award for VIDEO OF THE YEAR (awarded to Producer(s), Director(s), Artist(s)) will be conducted "Off Camera".

The official video for "I'm Not Gonna Miss You" is nominated including
Glen Campbell
Director: James Keach
Producer: Julian Raymond

Save the date: Sunday, April 19th! (8/7 C), CBS

http://www.acmawards.com/nominees" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dee

Glen Campbell - 2015 ACM Award Nomination

Post by Dee »

POLL: Who Should Win Video of the Year at the 2015 ACM Awards?
TheBoot.com
By Christina Vinson March 17, 2015 1

Show your support for Glen by voting in The Boot's poll! Vote as often as once an hour until the end of the day on April 15!

Glen is already leading at 50%! Let's bring his votes up to 100%!

Vote here at: http://theboot.com/video-of-the-year-20 ... ards-poll/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks everyone!

Dee