Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Glen Campbell - 2015 ACM Award Nomination

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
shelia6673

Re: Glen Campbell - 2015 ACM Award Nomination

Post by shelia6673 »

Hey Guys,

I've calmed down some what from Sunday night but I was so mad when those awards went off. To think someone that has done so much for
country music all of his career and a video about getting drunk on a plane wins. And as Dee said the 10 seconds Glen was mentioned, I think it
might have been 8 1/2 sec, was more of an insult than praise. At least they could have let the Band Perry give the single of the year award at least
they would have done a better job on the song. Anyway its over now and maybe the CMA awards in November might do something for I'm not gonna
miss you I haven't heard anything yet on that. But thanks for listening to my griping and I will move on with life.

Take Care
Shelia T

jay

Post by jay »

To quote Tom Petty...
today's country western music is like bad rock with a fiddle

Randy

Post by Randy »

I didn't watch it and glad I didn't and I'm totally disgusted "I'm not gonna miss you" was not nominated for song of the year, single of the year and didn't win video of the year.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

If "Drunk on a plane" won against "I'm Not Gonna Miss You", it's really time to get drunk. Another victory for superficial country music.

BTW, here's the full list of winners.

http://tasteofcountry.com/2015-acm-awards-winners/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Dee

Post by Dee »

Thanks so much for posting the outcome, Shelia. Disappointing to say the least!!!
Also, I wonder why those 3 awards were not presented on that L O N G telecast tonight?
There was a short tribute to Glen Campbell that lasted (it seemed) for about 10 seconds, okay maybe 20 seconds. Did you see it? They didn't mention Glen's early involvement with starting the ACMs--which, in itself, deserves recognition! Did any other performer or host mention Glen?

The official video for "I'm Not Gonna Miss You" now has just under nine million views!!

Dee

Post by Dee »

Good question, Cowpoke. I am still digging for information about the early years.
On November 30, 1964, with sponsorship from Jim Olson's V.I.P. Club Guide, the "ACM" event was held again at the Red Barrel Nite Club -- under a new name: Country Music Awards of Southern California.
Glen Campbell continued his support of this event in '64 as did other artists, business people, well-known people in the radio and television industries, etc.
I don't know anything about the awards in '64 other than when and where. Nothing yet on '65 and '66.

BTW, based on the book, This Is Country, Glen won for "TV Personality of the Year" in 1969 ("Tom" Smothers won for "Man of the Year"). Maybe he won this award in 1969 but it was for the year of 1968?

It would be great to reconstruct Glen's involvement with the ACMs through the years. Was Glen a host in 1975? I have seen a picture taken at the '75 awards program--Glen with Mac Davis and Claude Akins.

Glen hosted the ACM Awards Program in 1985 along with Janie Frickie and Loretta Lynn.

I remember an awards video in black and white on YouTube with Glen and Roy Rogers and Dale Evans. Was this the 1967 ACMs or another awards program?

Thanks!

Dee

shelia6673

Post by shelia6673 »

Just got the answer the winner was Deriks Bentley Drunk on a Plane. It looks like 3 awards were not aired on tv, video, songwriter and vocal event
The other awards aired on the live TV. Looked up the web site for the ACM. :|

shelia6673

Post by shelia6673 »

Guy I just watched 3hr 1/2 of awards & music. Where was video of the year at? This is worst than the grammy's this was all country music :x :x

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Love your posts Dee! Question: if the ACM started in 1964 officially, didn't Glen win any ACM award between 1964 and 1967?

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Dee

Post by Dee »

Glen Campbell's ACM Award Trophy for "Single Record of the Year / Rhinestone Cowboy", 1975:

[Click image once to enlarge viewing window.]

DSC_1162_GCF.jpg
DSC_1162_GCF.jpg (39.92 KiB) Viewed 6379 times