Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Glen Campbell - 2015 ACM Award Nomination

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Dee

Re: Glen Campbell - 2015 ACM Award Nomination

Post by Dee »

After Glen's involvement in starting the (unofficial) "ACM" Awards in 1963, he continued to support this new-found awards program in 1964, when it was officially founded and renamed "Country and Western Music Academy".
The first broadcast of this event was in 1966.

During Glen's career, he was honored with many ACM awards throughout the years as shown below:

[Click image once to enlarge viewing window.]
Glen's ACM Awards_GCF.jpg
Glen's ACM Awards_GCF.jpg (81.42 KiB) Viewed 5127 times
Source: Wikipedia

Dee

# # #

Dee

Post by Dee »

Designing the 50th Anniversary ACM Awards Program for the 2015.
Wow...What a difference from the first (unofficial) awards program!

Dee

Post by Dee »

Big Moments in ACM Awards History
Posted by The Boot

Provides an overall history of the ACM Awards

http://theboot.com/acm-awards-history/# ... llery-1=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dee

Post by Dee »

UPDATE ABOUT SUNDAY'S ACM AWARDS PROGRAM:
"Expect a rousing new tune from king of country George Strait, and possibly a tender moment or two honoring the ailing troubadour Glen Campbell."
Don’t believe the hysteria: Country music is far from dead
Published on NewsOK
Modified: April 17, 2015 at 7:12 am

Dee

Post by Dee »

Thanks, Cowpoke!

And thank you, members and readers! We fans did it! Glen had a MAJOR win on The Boot's poll for who should win a 2015 ACM award for VIDEO OF THE YEAR! He received 61.38% of the votes!!!

You can view the voting results here: http://theboot.com/video-of-the-year-20 ... ards-poll/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bring on the awards program! :)

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Holy cow, that is some very interesting information Dee. Never knew Glen received some of the first "proto" ACM awards. Thanks for these well researched posts!

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Dee

Post by Dee »

Hot off the press!

2015 ACM Awards Predictions by Taste of Country!
Guess which video they chose for VIDEO OF THE YEAR?
You guessed it right--"I'm Not Gonna Miss You".
Our Choice: Glen Campbell, “I’m Not Gonna Miss You” — Again, with no disrespect to anyone else who offered up fine video efforts this year, there’s nothing to touch Campbell’s clip for “I’m Not Gonna Miss You,” which documents the final recording session of his career. The song is a touching farewell to not only his fans, but to everything that Alzheimer’s is slowly taking away from him, and it’s almost unbearably poignant to see Campbell resolutely recording what he has to know is his final song. The raw emotional power of the song and video are nearly too much to watch, and any other choice just wouldn’t seem right.--Taste of Country
Thank you, Taste of Country.

Read more at: http://tasteofcountry.com/2015-acm-awards-predictions/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, members--you can vote on this site, too, for I'm Not Gonna Miss You to win.

Dee

Post by Dee »

Randy, is there no end to your talent for finding needles in a haystack?! :D Thanks so much for providing the lines of that sweet, silly Glen joke! I think it's great that you use Glen's jokes often!
Thanx, too, for finding and sharing the link that provides a detailed bio for Tommy Wiggins and describes his connection with the Red Barrel as well as his sponsorship of the 1963 "ACM" awards!
The Red Barrel Nite Club was the venue for the first unofficial "ACM" awards ceremony. This venue was located in Hawaiian Gardens, California.
ACM's 50th anniversary show to be held next Sunday takes place at the AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas!
Dee :)

As we continue Kickoff Week for the 2015 ACM Awards, Randy, you have led me to my next post. Thanks!

Tommy Wiggins and his wife, Shirley, were instrumental in supporting the start of the ACM awards after Glen and a few other artists talked up the idea of creating an event to recognize West Coast singers and musicians. As mentioned in his online bio, "Tommy had launched a promotional publication called, 'D.J.'s Digest', which had a subscriber's list of over 4,000 D.J.'s in the United States and as far away as Europe." Tommy and his wife underwrote the first (unofficial) "AMC" awards ceremony with D.J. Digest presenting the awards. Glen won two of the first ever "ACM" awards for LEAD GUITAR and MALE VOCALIST as reported in the December 1963 issue of D.J. Digest:

[Click on photo once in order to enlarge viewing window.]
DJ Digest_GCF.jpg
DJ Digest_GCF.jpg (82.52 KiB) Viewed 5165 times
DJ Digest_cover_December 1963_created by Tommy Wiggins.jpg
DJ Digest_cover_December 1963_created by Tommy Wiggins.jpg (34.34 KiB) Viewed 5165 times
Dee

# # #

Randy

Post by Randy »

On the Sioux Falls concert right prior to singing Amazing Grace, Glen jokes ,

"I'll bet you're wondering by now, is their no beginning to this man's talent?" Hit me a chord with the "H" in chord being pronounced, Camera then pans on the laughing faces of the audience.

Glen's delivery of the silly humor jokes is exceptional... Regardless of what you think of the joke, you have to laugh. I personally love them, and use them often with only a smidgeon of the response Glen always got.

Dee, in case this is not the same source you are using, I'm gonna post this link....

http://www.hillbilly-music.com/artists/ ... p?id=16401" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dee

Post by Dee »

ACM Kickoff Week -- bonus!
While you are thinking about the significance of the "Red Barrel" to the ACM awards program (see below), check out this congratulatory ad from Glen Campbell for ACM's 30th anniversary!

[Click on photo once in order to enlarge viewing window.]
Glen Campbell_30th Anniversary Congratulations to ACM by GC Enterprises Et. Al..jpg
Glen Campbell_30th Anniversary Congratulations to ACM by GC Enterprises Et. Al..jpg (54.15 KiB) Viewed 5194 times
Dee

# # #