Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Discussion of the Week: Is Glen "live" always better?

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Elusive Butterfly

Re: Discussion of the Week: Is Glen "live" always better?

Post by Elusive Butterfly »

Cowpoke wrote:That is a wonderful choice Elusive Butterfly. The funny thing is, there is another live performance of "I Will Never Pass This Way Again" on youtube and Glen is wearing the exact same suit!

Now why wasn't this a bigger hit?!

I think you hit the nail with your head Dee. The presence of an audience seems to bring out the best in Glen. Glen is never just singing a song, he is "communicating" it!
Cowpoke and Dee. I think you both express brilliantly, exactly the way Glen "thrives" on stages "inhaling" the love and attention coming from his audience/fans. This makes him more than "real" in his vocal performance, as well as in his whole appearance. Yes Cowpoke. I too noticed that there are two clips with that same song. Could have been from two different concerts, maybe lying right after eachother. Which explains the same outfit?

jay

Post by jay »

Randy,
"maybe we don't" is the way to go. The discerning eye sometimes can certainly interfere with simple enjoyment.

Randy

Post by Randy »

Thanks Jay,

Obviously myself and the audience, whistling and applauding during the song and rousing applause at the end need to educated on guitar before we can judge. Or maybe we don't.

jay

Post by jay »

"I think you hit the nail with your head Dee. "
I don't think she is that hard headed...but to each their own...lol.

Personally, if an artist is gifted, like Glen, as a musician and vocalist, live offers so much more, than the sterile studio versions. The artist has control over delivery, instead of the producer.

IMO, that is what makes the PBS Dakota concert a treasure. It caught Glen at a good time in his life...a mature time in his life...vocally he was extremely strong and as a musician, it is beyond compare of anything previously released.

The live stuff with Jerry Reed on the Goodtime Hour, if ever released, would also be a treasure, because those guys had a chemistry that produced licks which was never captured in any format beyond that. When watched, you can see both of them appreciated what was being created.

So, yes, Glen live is always better...because he was so gifted.

Randy, I was never fond of that Keith Urban video. Glen and Keith never got settled in on guitar, ..., it seemed to me he couldn't figure out what key Keith was in. Then he says to [...] with the capo and nails the solo....Very few could figure out a solo like that, a 1/2 step lower. And then keith gets lost and looks like a amateur trying to finish the song out. He may have even apologized at the end to Glen...Too bad...I think together, they would be great...but either they tried to do it with no prep or something...the bad side of live...imo

Dee

Post by Dee »

When I listened to "Gentle" again, Randy and Cowpoke, it reminded me of The Band Perry's cover of "Gentle" on I'll Be Me's OST...also performed at a much faster tempo. (TBP's upbeat version is growing on me; I like it!)
What was "old" is "new" again.
I love Glen's version here, and his peers were really digging it, too.
Only Glen Campbell could continue playing on the guitar break when distracted and laughing, and still not miss a note or chord.
I'll bet he was chewing gum, too. And he was tapping one foot! lol
The comments on this YouTube page are like a mini forum! Lots of interesting chat to read. Campbell is King on that page!
Thanks Randy!
Dee

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Now that is great example too Randy. I am sure the presence of all those artists inspired him to show them his guitar chops were still intact. The admiration on their faces is priceless!

Good idea for our next discussion of the week! Is the older Glen better than the younger Glen?

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Randy

Post by Randy »

And one more example and then maybe the next question would be ,,, older or younger Glen Campbell?

And just read thru some of the comments below the song if you will.
This one is spot on:

faticehippo1 month ago

Room full of stars. Serious Stars here. Then you have a super star. In the middle, the room goes silent as the watch him - you can the looks "Too much talent" . There won't be another Glen

Randy

Post by Randy »

Lol: Never heard it put quite that way Cowpoke and so Dee be careful and don't be hitting too many nails with your head.

Hands down , I like live better.

My example is I love what appears to be mostly and ad lib performance with Keith Urban and Glen on Witchita. Two great guitarist and a solo like no other exactly that I've heard Glen do before.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

That is a wonderful choice Elusive Butterfly. The funny thing is, there is another live performance of "I Will Never Pass This Way Again" on youtube and Glen is wearing the exact same suit!

Now why wasn't this a bigger hit?!

I think you hit the nail with your head Dee. The presence of an audience seems to bring out the best in Glen. Glen is never just singing a song, he is "communicating" it!

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Dee

Post by Dee »

"I Will Never Pass This Way Again" is a perfect example, Elusive Butterfly. Thank you for sharing this remarkable performance from your top-5. I love when Glen closes his eyes when singing here...it seems to me like he is getting "inside" of that song, if this makes any sense. Also, I love when he looks directly into the camera, holding nothing back, connecting with the viewer, which is an incredible talent.
There is magic when Glen is performing live. He seems to thrive on the love and energy he feels from his audiences. And he gives this energy and love back to his audiences, too. We saw this time and time again on the Goodbye Tour especially.
Here is an example of when Glen's live performance might have been influenced by his love, concern, and respect for his Dad, after announcing that his Dad and Mom couldn't join him in the U.K. due to his father's illness.
You Might As Well Smile

What would we do without YouTube?
Dee