Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

I'll Be Me - The Documentary

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
admin
Site Admin

Re: I'll Be Me

Post by admin »

Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 02:47 pm:

Dee, No doubt in my mind you made an excellent, heartfelt, extremely well written review.

I totally agree with Cowpoke, and believe that "in a roundabout way of criticizing Kim or Mr. Keach is never gonna stop for just a very few here.

Everything I have seen tells me Kim Campbell and her kids have been a perfect family for Glen. I base that on not only them but his reaction to that love. I've seen plenty and plenty of proof of that.

-randy moore

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 05:43 pm:

Picture of the award from the facebook page of the editor of the movie Lisa Bonora

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 5937892959" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; 2.353354.855614591&type=1&theater

-Cowpoke

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 05:41 pm:

Review of I'll Be Me.

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/2 ... nbff_r.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-Cowpoke

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Friday, April 25, 2014 - 12:13 pm:

NASHVILLE FILM FESTIVAL
ANNOUNCES 2014 FILM COMPETITION AWARD WINNERS

http://us5.campaign-archive1.com/?u=153 ... 08fe2&e=7d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; 7253c67b

The Gibson Music City/Music Films Grand Jury Award went to Glen Campbell...I'll Be Me, for sharing such an, "intimate and honest portrayal of a music legend's battle with Alzheimer's, Glen Campbell… I'll Be Me captures a family's commitment to love and laugh through the adversity of a debilitating disease."

Scroll down the page to see a picture of Kim and Ashley Campbell with the award.

-Cowpoke

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 03:28 pm:

I forgot to add: thanks Dee for sharing your thoughts on this incredible movie!

-Cowpoke

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 03:26 pm:

Dee's review of I'll Be Me
part 3

It is very clear that Glen wanted to do this documentary, to be himself, declaring “I’ll be me.” He wanted to show what it is like to live with this disease, day in and day out, on and off the stage, performance by performance, with hope that this film will make a difference in bringing attention to find a cure for Alz’s because no one should suffer from this disease. At one point in the film, Glen chokes up with tears when talking “from his heart” about how important the film’s intent and outcome are to him. Viewers will learn why the family extended the tour, see the love Glen received from audiences at concerts, understand how Glen was fairing behind stage and on-stage, see how his symptoms from Alz's worsened during the tour and the effects of Glen's health on his family, and share in Glen’s own realizations of his changing behaviors on and off stage. With Glen and his family’s desire to be transparent about their lives during the last three years, it is very difficult to view this documentary when not-so-good times are shared. The devastating effects of Alz’s on Glen and his family and friends are gut-wrenching to watch.

On the other hand, I found the doc to be an uplifting one because of how Glen’s wife and children support each other and Glen, Glen’s amazing humor shines throughout the film (he is still telling some of his old jokes such as “I was so bright, my daddy called me sun/son”), the love shown between Glen and Kim, the respect that Cal, Shannon and Ashley have for their Dad, other Campbell family members’ love for Glen, and other artists’ meaningful insights about Glen as an inspiration to them in their own careers and how Alz’s has affected their respective families. Glen struggles sometimes on-stage but then pulls off a guitar solo that most (healthy) musicians wouldn't even attempt. In one scene, Glen’s starts a song—and then decides, I’ll sing this one like Elvis would—and suddenly Glen is Elvis, opening his shirt, lowering his voice, and getting into the impersonation that many of us have seen in live and taped concerts. As Kim expressed in the film about why they continued to tour, Glen Campbell is still Glen Campbell; let him live his life and do what he loves as long as he can do so. Glen is not his disease. Bravo.

The world premiere of I’ll Be Me at the Nashville Film Festival was fantastic. It was heartwarming to see Glen’s family members and long-time friends present: Kim, Shannon, Ashley, Cal, Kelli Campbell, Debby Campbell, Julian Raymond, Stan Schneider, Larry Weiss, Carl Jackson, Lonnie Shorr, Jeff Dayton, and many others. It was also wonderful to see long-time fans in attendance. Speaking of fans, in the film's ending credits, fans are thanked “for their love and support over the years”.

--Cowpoke for Dee

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 03:24 pm:

Dee's review of I'll Be Me
part 2

Without giving spoilers....this documentary is not a biography. It is not a concert video or film. You won’t see much rare footage such as Glen performing with The Champs or The Beach Boys; it is just not this type of film. There are some flashbacks to Glen's past...Glen in Billstown, Debby as a toddler, Glen's second wife throwing snowballs at Glen, pictures of Glen's family with Billie, Glen golfing in the good ol' days, an interview with Glen's parents, Glen on the Johnny Carson show, Glen on the Goodtime Hour, and other professional and home movie clips.

I’ll Be Me is a film about Glen’s diagnosis of Alzheimer’s disease, Glen and his family’s decision to go public with his diagnosis prior to the Goodbye Tour, rehearsing for the tour, tour performances (both perfect and flawed), and behind-the-scenes stories that occurred during the tour concerts. Also shown are Glen's 2012 Lifetime Achievement performance at the Grammy's (and Glen talking to Paul McCartney after the show), his performance in 2011 on the Jay Leno show (after which Jay tells Glen, you are always welcome to come back here!), and other one-off performances. The filming of these performances is outstanding; close-up camera work makes you feel like you are right on stage with Glen and his band! Most performances are not complete ones. Performances were selected from various U.S. cities and shown in chronological order to support the film’s unfolding story.

Early in the film, it becomes evident that it took an enormous amount of effort to successfully pull off most performances from 2011 through 2012…and yet, we see Glen do them. For example, during rehearsals for the Leno show in September 2011, Glen would not stay in his designated area on stage—he kept wandering off stage when singing, stopped to talk to a band member, and kept giving instructions to the band. Then, during the actual show, Glen is shown as totally focused and delivers his performance without a misstep. He knows he did good because after he and the band conclude their song, Glen yells out, “I did it!”

-Cowpoke for Dee

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 03:23 pm:

Here's Dee's review of I'll Be Me (part 1)

I attended the premiere of Glen's documentary, “I'll Be Me”, as well as a second screening on the following day at the Nashville Film Festival. I wish ALL of Glen's fans could have been at one of these screenings. Although I am far from a professional film critic, I believe this documentary is a tremendous film, extremely well made in terms of editing, cinematography, sound, composition, and structure. The story is compelling; it held my interest totally during both viewings. It is comprised of professional film footage (vintage and new) and non-professional (iPhone/iPad for example) which made the film a “fun” challenge to blend together according to James Keach, the film’s director.

James Keach and Trevor Albert plan to show this film at 50 or so other events between now and October 2014. Then, in November, it will have a wider cinematic distribution with subsequent DVD and, possibly, cable distribution. When I asked both Keach and Albert (individually) if additional film footage, perhaps the "best of" the goodbye tour concerts, would be released on video, they both replied, "definitely". At this point, Mr. Albert said that he is not certain whether the concert video will be segments of various goodbye tour concerts -- or just the Ryman concert.

-Cowpoke for Dee

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 06:14 am:

Thanks for the update Stephen!

Here are a few pictures of the premiere:

Cal, Ashley, Kim, Shannon and Kelli Campbell.

https://twitter.com/nashfilmfest/status ... 09/photo/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here I see Julian Raymond and Carl Jackson among others.

https://twitter.com/nashfilmfest/status ... 56/photo/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

James Keach, Kim Campbell, Trevor Albert

https://twitter.com/nashfilmfest/status ... 92/photo/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-Cowpoke

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 03:25 am:

The site has confirmed, there will be a DVD and the film will present in the UK as well-great news.

-stephen.taylor