Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

I'll Be Me - The Documentary

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
admin
Site Admin

Re: I'll Be Me

Post by admin »

Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 02:35 pm:

I think the problem was that time was too short as you say Stephen,and these kind of interviews tend to scratch the surface of any subject.I wonder what would happen if she appeared on the Oprah Winfrey show and was grilled more thoroughly. That would be worth watching.
I think the interviewer really didn't know the history and I felt he was plucking questions from the air. I suppose in fairness it may have been just a last minute opportunity to talk to Debby so I imagine you can't research these things as well as you would if they were arranged weeks in advance and of course the book hasn't been released officially in the US yet.
You are right Arlw, she can be thankful for the 24 years she spent on the road with Glen.
I think it was good for Glen and it was obviously good for Debby too.I think she needs to hold on to that and not become too embittered with the fact that she was excluded for the final tour.In the long run she will only make herself unhappy and spoil the memories of the good times they shared together and which she should now hold on to dearly, because Glen,as we all know, will not be able to.

-Mike Joyce

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 10:35 am:

I think the interviewer did not pick up on the comment from Debby regarding not been in the farewell tour,as he had no clue about the issues we are all aware of. That is possibly true about the general public at large. In a way it was a good thing,because there was not enough time time in such a short interview to explore the wider picture. Also had the issue been raised with more prominance,it may have become the story,rather than the purpose of the program,which was to celebrate the success of the film. Debby is a very clear and articulate speaker. Her tempory hesitation regarding what Glen thought about Nashville,showed it was not a reheresed interview. It give it a sense of a real conversation. That said,I was far from impressed by both the interviewrs casual appearence at such an event,and his choice of questions. He came across as someone who might go to the Ukraine and ask the locals what type of plants grow in the Ukraine,and what is the average climate. For anyone who has read Debby's book and the rejection she suffered,in not even getting a back stage pass at Glen's concerts,I can imagine she would not want to rock the boat,if at this late stage,she is gaining some sort of inclusion with the event.

-stephen.taylor

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 05:24 pm:

Mike,
I agree with you on the interview with Debby. She looks wonderful but was very careful in how she replied. Boy that would have been a great opportunity to ask some questions, but at the same time, she might have been briefed so to speak on what to say/what not to say-don't really know. The answers were very guarded but, she should still hold her head up high for all she has done for her father and being a flight attendant for 28 years!!!

-Arlw

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 03:54 pm:

When Debby left the door open with the quote" I was not in the film & I was let go of the tour". I would have asked why & see hat she may have said. For her to bring it up, she seemed like she wanted to go there.

-Siblis1

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 03:32 pm:

I agree that interviewer could have done a much better job. Whether Glen is a country artist or a pop artist is something we fans will never agree on I guess. Glen himself didnt see himself as a country music artist and many of his fans are not country music fans. In the end there are only two types of music, bad music and good music. Glen gave us a lot of the latter.

-Cowpoke

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 10:37 am:

The chap doing the interview,didn't really explore the prompts. When Debby said she was not part of the goodbye tour, there was an opening the intervewer didn't pick up on. I thought the Nashville question was the most interesting. I have always felt there it did not include Glen in its inner circle. Glen had some great country hits,but branched out into the pop/ballad world.However some of the music new country spew out it barely recognizable to the original Nashville sound of Hank williams/Cash and Jim Reeves.

That is what I regard as real country music. It does what it does very well,but is limited to a certain sound. Country music alone was far too restricting for Glen,and I think Nashville begrudged that. In his song 'building a mansion, over in Branson' the story highlights how Nashville soldout on its old jewels in the crown,for more diluted,contempory, but better selling artists. As Glen said in a back stage interview at one of the award shows-'the world moves on' At the end of it all Glen did very well with and without what help Nashville gave him.

-stephen.taylor

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 07:48 am:

Debby, was very guarded in her responses compared to the book.

-Mike Joyce

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 07:07 am:

Interview with Debby Campbell on the red carpet of the premiere of I'll Be Me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNtnR0ov ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

--Cowpoke

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 09:32 am:

Hi Stephen,
the song was recorded late 2012, early 2013 just after Glen had retired from touring. Julian Raymond wrote the song. According to Julian, there were 3 new songs recorded, all of which are planned to be released on a soundtrack/tribute album around christmas. So, it's not an outtake from earlier albums.

One of the other 2 songs is called The Long Walk Home.

-Cowpoke

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 07:09 am:

I read there is a new song in the film 'im not gonna miss you' which I imagine will have some kind of meaningful twist. I remember Glen saying in one of his concerts about 3 years ago 'i'll never forget you' to the audiance,and I wondered if it was due to his sense of knowing things were slipping.

Anyway my question is this. Is this a recording from the MGC sessions not released and reproduced for the film Or was it recorded afterwards and if so when. It dosen't matter either way-just a point of interest. I think the final documentary will command a massive interest and will evoke a second live concert DVD from all the film in storage. Either way it will be a real profound emotional roller-coster and a great final gift to life long -and newer fans.

-stephen.taylor