Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

I'll Be Me - The Documentary

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Mike Joyce

Re: I'll Be Me - The Documentary

Post by Mike Joyce »

diasaria, what a beautiful post. I actually felt very saddened by your story. It made me realise that many did in fact lose the man who went to fight, even if the body returned the soul never did. I can only hope that can still reflect on the happier times and that Glen's music still conjures up some wonderful memories for you.
Best wishes to you diasaria and we hope you continue to share your memories with us.
Mike

diasaria

Re: I'll Be Me - The Documentary

Post by diasaria »

I just watched the documentary - it moved me to tears several times, not just because of the content and seeing Glen and his family and their challenges, but also because of the memories his music brought back to me. I remember my first marriage, we were so young, so happy, with all of life before us. We married, drove away from St. Louis headed to Georgia for my husband's pilot training, and listened to Glen on our 8-track tape player all the way there. My beautiful husband, with his excellent humor and strength, left for Vietnam after his training. He returned to me a year later, but he was someone I didn't know...he left himself overseas, across the canyon of time, and never returned. I'll never forget him. And every time I hear By The Time I Get To Phoenix, Wichita Lineman, and Gentle On My Mind, I'll remember that time of artless happiness...thank you, Glen Campbell. For all that you were, for all that you've done.

Dee

Re: I'll Be Me - The Documentary (Encore on CNN!)

Post by Dee »

Thank you, Randy!
Mr. Rollins absolutely "gets" Glen Campbell and has the talent to put it into words!
Dee

Randy

Post by Randy »

Quite frankly, this reflection by Mr. Rollins is the best I have ever read!!!

Great, great link, Dee!

Dee

Post by Dee »

HENRY ROLLINS: ALZHEIMER'S CAN'T DIMINISH THE GREATNESS OF GLEN CAMPBELL

A super article about "I'll Be Me" as well as Mr. Rollins' personal reflections on what makes Glen Campbell great.

See: http://www.laweekly.com/music/henry-rol ... ll-6238497" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dee

Re: I'll Be Me - The Documentary (Now on Netflix!)

Post by Dee »

CNN Films Presents encores GLEN CAMPBELL…I’LL BE ME for National Alzheimer’s Disease Awareness Month and National Caregivers Month
CNN Films Presents will encore the acclaimed film, Glen Campbell…I’ll Be Me on Saturday, Nov. 7 at 8:00pm and 10:00pm in observance of National Alzheimer’s Disease Awareness Month and National Caregivers Month, the network announced today. Both times are Eastern.
From: http://cnnpressroom.blogs.cnn.com/2015/ ... ers-month/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dee

Re: I'll Be Me - The Documentary (Update for UK Fans!)

Post by Dee »

Glen Campbell: I'll Be Me -- NOW ON NETFLIX
2014 PG Rated PG 104 minutes
Attachments
Glen Campbell_I'll Be Me_Now on Netflix.jpg
Glen Campbell_I'll Be Me_Now on Netflix.jpg (38.72 KiB) Viewed 5745 times

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

I managed to record I'll be me the other night. I then watched it the later in the evening and then watched it again last night.
It is a very powerful film and for dedicated fans like me and all those on the forum it must be said a wonderful tribute to our musical hero. In many classic films there is usually one scene which grabs the audience and is a defining moment for which the film is always remembered for. I could make a long list but I am sure you all know what I mean by this.
For me, the moment arrived when Glen's face comes on the screen and he talks from the heart about the hope that someone will find a cure for this tragic illness which Glen, seems to fully understand is leading him to a dark future which he desperately wishes to avoid, but knows that it will probably be his destiny to endure. When Glen is asked if he ever gets blue about the situation he finds himself in Glen's eyes fill with tears and he says "Yeah, I do". The look in his eyes spoke volumes to me. I felt that Glen was fully aware of what he was going to lose, but also, it seemed to me that he had became aware of all that had been lost to him already in his life. All the friends that had shared his life with musically. Jerry Reed, Roger Miller, Johnny Cash and so on, who are now departed. His parents both who have now passed away, and of course his own youth and abilities vocally and instrumentally which had given him so much joy in his life and all the opportunities that musical life brought with it. If desolation needed a way to show it self fully to the world, if found the perfect canvas to express it self, in the gentle face of our fallen hero Glen.

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Thanks MikeRogers, I just spotted your post and have set SKY box to record the film. I suspect it will be a difficult film to watch. I noticed Glen in True Grit the other day. What a contrast to see Glen at two different stages in his life and career within a week.

Dee

Post by Dee »

Hi, MikeRogers, thanks so much for posting the U.K. broadcast date and time for "Glen Campbell: I'll Be Me".

The I'll Be Me team finally shared the same information today (see MikeRogers' post below) and also noted that "additional airings will follow so check local listings."

This is the Sky Arts website link: http://www.sky.com/watch/channel/sky-ar ... ill-be-me/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dee