Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Discussion of the Week: Best Duet Partner?

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Dee

Re: Discussion of the Week: Best Duet Partner?

Post by Dee »

Well, thanks to this newly uploaded video courtesy of Diamond Tim Productions, the stakes have changed regarding "best duet partner". Maybe. What do you all think?

Oh, my....

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

That's interesting Noni L. So Anne Murray and Bobbie Gentry have alto voices and Glen a tenor voice. Does that mean that Glen sang the high part in the harmonies?
I would bet Rita Coolidge is also an alto voice? She seems to have a pretty low voice for a female singer.

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Noni L

Post by Noni L »

For me he sounds the best singing with Bobbie Gentry and with Anne Murray (when he was younger). These two female singers have alto voices, a perfect compliment to Glen's tenor. The duet with Rita Coolidge was also nice (but would've liked to hear more of them). That said, I would really like to hear him sing with Olivia Newton-John. I've seen clips of them on a tv show together but of course, never recorded anything.

Dee

Post by Dee »

I remember that a friend of mine bought a VCR recorder in the early eighties. I remember it being the first of its kind available in retail electronic stores. The purchase price was $1,000 or more.
I thought he was crazy for buying it at the time. Of course, now I wish I had had one then, too!

Back to duets...wow, I am surprised about Lucy Dalton. I love her music.
She sounded great with Glen (to me).

I am still thinking about Anne vs. Bobbie. :) I do love Say a little prayer / Phoenix.

Have you seen Glen and Anne's performance on this video?

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

These clips seem to be popping up every other week. I wonder how that is possible, as video wasn't around when they were broadcast. They look like industry copies with the timer on the screen. I assume someone has access to the original recordings and I bet they have the bulk of the shows if not the complete set.

Elusive Butterfly

Post by Elusive Butterfly »

Hi Mike Joyce. Thank you so much for posting this encredibly lovely duet with Judy Collins and Glen. I've been searching for this on Youtube for so long. So must have been uploaded only recently. This duet is in my opinion one of the most beautiful duets, Glen has ever made with anyone. They were both on the top of their careers and of their voices capacity. You can litterally see the beauty glow out of Glen's eyes, when he sings these amazing lyrics. Thank you again my friend. You made my day Mike. Elusive Butterfly.

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Hey Elusive Butterfly,
Ask and it shall be granted. I just spotted this on Youtube. What a great tune. I have never seen this before. Fantastic.
As I recall Glen gave Judy the song The moon's a harsh mistress and she had a hit with it, after the reunion album didn't do as well as they had hoped.

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

I am a wee bit late on this subject but in answer to your question Dee, I always thought Glen and Anne Murray were the best combination. When Glen was asked the question which singer he most enjoyed duetting with , he said that Anne was his favourite as she harmonised so well with his own voice. Her voice quality was up there with Glen's in my opinion and the I say a little prayer/ Phoenix duet was the best duet I had ever heard from Glen and Anne. I recall that Bobbie was very popular on the Good time show as was Anne Murray and Anne says Glen is her favourite singer as well.
I remember Glen talking about Lacy J Dalton singing with him on the Wood carver record. He said she kept singing his part by mistake, so I think he found it very frustrating working with her on that session.Still it was a good result in the end.
I think the funniest duet is of course with Johnny Cash when they sing "I've been everywhere" and they try to trip each other up on the fast lyrics.You gotta smile at that one

Dee

Post by Dee »

Hey, Cowpoke, the Larry Gaitlin / Glen Campbell duets don't meet "the best duet partner" label for me. I am sorry! But perhaps the second one was better than the first, but I couldn't tell you why it sounds more harmonized. :?:
What do you and other members think of these duets?

Hi, Elusive Butterfly,

Maybe you are thinking of this duet (first video below) with Glen and TT? It is included on one of Glen's albums. I like this song's beat. The other two TT/GC songs were included on TT albums; I think Glen was trying to help TT with her album sales when her career was suffering in the early 1980's. I agree with Cowpoke that they sound good together; however, I think their songs are too "1980s" and maybe haven't lasted the test of time (to my ears)?

About "Four Strong Winds" with Judy Collins. I love it, too. Thank you for remembering this one! I thought I had watched this duet recently on YouTube, but I can't find it. However, this duet (or at least the one from the Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour) is included on the American Treasure Set's DVDl

I also posted below the duet with Anne Murray and Glen Campbell. Members, any comments you would like to post about Anne and Glen as duet partners?

Elusive Butterfly

Post by Elusive Butterfly »

Hi Dee. Yes, I do love those two duets, you mentioned with Glen & Tanya Tucker. "Dream Lover" plays fine. While "Shoulder To Shoulder" will not play here. However, both performances live, are to be found on Youtube and I've heard them so many times. Not many more duets with Glen & Tanya have been posted on Youtube. But I do love these two. You can clearly sense that this was the period, where they were madly in love with eachcother. And isn't this just great. No matter, how rough this period was for them as well. Having this deep crush on eachother, must have been special at the time. Another duet I have only heard once or twice. It might have been in a post on one of the G. C-groups? But now I just can't seem to find it anywhere. I believe it was from one of Glen's Goodtime Hour shows. He has Judy Collins appearing. And they sing this beautiful song "Four Strong Winds". I LOVE IT. J Collins' lovely voice, together with Glen's smooth golden ditto. Glen's very cautious to harmonize with Judy Collins voice. It such a great duet. I wish they had done more of those. Another great duet, where two voices just seem to melt together in beautiful harmony, will be "Canadian Sunset" with Glen and Anne Murray, mmmm ;-)