Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Discussion of the Week: Best Duet Partner?

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Cowpoke

Re: Discussion of the Week: Best Duet Partner?

Post by Cowpoke »

A lot of good comments here. I love it! I agree with Randy that nothing can beat family harmony. And yes Elusive Butterfly, Glen and Bobbie Gentry are a match made in heaven. It is really true Bobbie always sings the low parts and Glen the high parts? And Dee, people can say about Tanya Tucker what they like, but she's a great singer and, by Glen's own admittance, she and Glen always sounded great together.

What about this duet?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCj3y0vpJ38[/youtube]

First Larry sings harmony and then Glen sings harmony. What are the differences in their approach in singing harmony and which one do you like best?

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
BobbieG

Post by BobbieG »

Randy---thanks for uploading the video of Bobbie and Glen for me.

Jay---Jerry Reed, of course! Glen and Jerry showed us some good times on the Goodtime hour, didn't they? Most people don't know Jerry had a talent for writing songs, too.

Dee--When I listen to Tanya Tucker and Glen now, their duo's don't hold up to Glen and the other ladies. Just my opinion.

jay

Post by jay »

Easy...Glen and Jerry...complimented each other on every level.

Jerry didn't have to sing...

Dee

Post by Dee »

This discussion is FUN, Elusive Butterfly! Thanks so much for your comments!
I agree...Emmylou's voice is too loud; doesn't fit with Glen's warm tenor or something. Not bad, I think, but not on the level of the other examples posted here.
"All I Have To Do Is Dream" with Bobbie Gentry is awesome, and isn't it great that this was the first record you ever bought with Glen! And played it over and over!
This was the start of a beautiful thing for you! :)
I only recently added this 45 to my collection because I so wanted to hear "Walk Right Back"--yes, it's another upbeat song! It's too bad that this song didn't make it to their album -- or to the second album that I have heard rumors about. (Maybe Cowpoke or Arlw has some info on the recordings that never made it to the second album?)

Thanks for mentioning Sandy Kelly! Below, I posted the audio for you of her duet with Glen, "As We Danced" (to the world's greatest song)". I wonder if these two ever performed this song or any other song live?

Now you've got me really thinking,,,,Elusive Butterfly, what do you think of Glen and Tanya Tucker as a duo? I posted two of their duets below, "Dream Lover" and "Shoulder to Shoulder" (this 2nd one is from #GlenCampbell on YouTube; can you access this one from Denmark?). Would love to hear from you and others about these two as duet partners. Putting their sad history together aside, did they record beautiful music together?

Elusive Butterfly

Post by Elusive Butterfly »

Hi Dee. Yes that's exactly the one. It seems to me, that on this specific song, EmmyLou Harris, just seems to be too "loud" for Glen's smooth voice. But I love just about all of the duets posted below. You know already , that the duet, Glen sings with Sandy Kelly, "As We Danced" (to the world's greatest song), is one of my favourites. As well as "All I Have To Do Is Dream", with Bobby Gentry And Glen. This was as I've mentioned before, the first record I ever bought with Glen Campbell. And I adored it. Played it over and over, (I was 14 at the time, in 1970). The flip-side was "Walk Right Back". Also a great upbeat song. However, I feel that Glen made Bobby Gentry shine. To me, she doesn't have the biggest, or the best voice, of the female singers, Glen has sung with. But somehow, he could always make them sound great. But this one was my favourite at the that time.

Dee

Post by Dee »

Hi, Elusive Butterfly!

Yes! This is the performance that I saw recently; you must have, too---Glen and Emmylou Harris dueting on "You Are My Sunshine", a live performance.
Please let me know if this is not the video you were thinking of.

This is perhaps an example for you and me that demonstrates why the other duets posted below, so far, are great ones!

Elusive Butterfly

Post by Elusive Butterfly »

That is so true. That Glen made anyone shine, singing duets with him. But you're also right, that there was this one duet, that really didn't pull it off for me. It might just be the same you're refering to Dee. It's "You Are My Sunshine", with Glen and EmmyLou Harris. Now why does she seem to "drown", Glen's golden fabulous voice with just....noise? I love their "You are" duet, so much. But this one shouldn't have been made. Soory, if I hurt somebody's feelings. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg0x6EJd4-0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dee

Post by Dee »

Great selections, Randy! It must be a family thing...the way the Campbells can harmonize together so beautifully (just like Shannon and Ashley).
Do you know why Shorty didn't pursue a singing career? He is very talented.
Who didn't sound good with Glen? Seriously. (I may have seen a video in the past few months of Glen singing with a female partner--can't remember who--and she just couldn't get into the grove of the duet).
Anyway, in answer to Cowpoke's question: male or female, for me, it doesn't seem to matter one way or the other.

How about this one, I have always liked this duet, especially on Glen's "Walkin' In the Sun" album. However, the "Let It Be Me" duet is much better, I think, because Debby's voice has matured.

Randy

Post by Randy »

My two choices ......

Randy

Post by Randy »

Here's the video BobbieG