Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Discussion of the Week: Best Guitar Solo Ever

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Dee

Re: Discussion of the Week: best guitar solo ever

Post by Dee »

Posting Glen Campbell with the South Dakota Symphony Orchestra -- "Galveston" starts at 33 minutes into this concert.
Now, we can compare the performances of Galveston together. :)
(I can't embed this video here because the YouTube uploader doesn't allow embedding on other websites.)

Galveston: https://youtu.be/_zqyQN6NnuY?t=33m" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BTW, what do you all think about Glen's guitar solo on this song, also performed at the Sioux Falls concert:

"Try A Little Kindness": https://youtu.be/_zqyQN6NnuY?t=1h17m5s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Classical Gas" and the "William Tell Overture" at the Royal Festival Hall concert in 1977 are tremendous guitar solos, too.

"Galveston" with Steve Wariner is in a class of its own, I think. Glen performing with other gifted musicians (like Steve) brought out something special in his performances, and I don't know how to describe it.

What do all of these performances have in common? All of these performances were done live. Right now, I can't think of a recording created in a studio that equals any of the above. Can you?

Dave

Post by Dave »

I haven't seen a ton of videos of Glen but I just can't shake how awesome the performance of "Galveston" in Sioux Falls 2001 was. Everything about it was perfect.

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Sorry, linked incorrectly on the video.

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

I was just re-reading this topic and I must say I was always blown away by Glen's instrumentals on Classical gas and the William Tell Overture at the Royal festival Hall concert in 1977. I always smiled when you saw the smiling faces of the Orchestra members who seemed to be having a ball playing with Glen
[youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSyTK-CdRTc[/youtube]

Randy

Post by Randy »

Those two videos are standouts to me that show Glen was adored by not only his fans, but his peers. Gentle started out being a banjo dominated song, and the only reason it became guitar dominated is because of Glen's excellence. NO ONE can duplicate what Glen does with that song.

On the CMT Galveston video, that guitar solo was magnificent. Glen gives a kind touch to the guitar at the end knowing he nailed it. Personally in my biased view it was easily the best performance of that entire show. And I have said this before his standing O's were never just out of courtesy. Just look at the peoples faces for proof.

Dee

Post by Dee »

Two videos that belong in the "Hall of Fame" for Glen Campbell Videos, Randy!
You know what surprises me about the "Galveston" one? Glen looks so surprised and delighted and humbled by the audience's standing ovation at the end. As if he hadn't expected it....go figure.
Dee

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Great choices Randy. Glen is surrounded by some pretty awesome guitar players there, but he puts on a great performance.

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Randy

Post by Randy »

You can't make me ever tired of listening to these two.....

Dee

Post by Dee »

Great choices, guys.
Well said, Cowpoke: "Fearless, self confident, lightning fast. The sound of freedom translated into a 20 second guitar solo on a cheap Teisco guitar."
I am with you, too, Jay--the South Dakota concert is truly a treasure. Maybe the only one made in America?

Here is my pick for now...I believe I recently saw another version of The William Tell Overture that was possibly more scorching, although that doesn't seem possible when I watch this one!
(I hope this performance counts as a "guitar solo"? Maybe not?)

jay

Post by jay »

I was going to go with MacArthur Park...but I have always been a fan of how Glen solo'ed in Try a Little Kindness. Regardless of which video you pick, he freakin smokes the frets in each one, never doing the solo the same. So...beat this...

https://youtu.be/0XBnj80nRpo?t=2m4s

And, btw, I am so thankful that PBS recorded Glen in South Dakota. They captured him at the peak of his game. What a treasure that concert is.