Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Discussion of the Week: GC songs that make you cry

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Cowpoke

Re: Discussion of the Week: GC songs that make you cry

Post by Cowpoke »

Mike, I had almost forgotten about that song "Lay me down (and roll me out to sea)". It fits the bill perfectly though. Sadness wins of hope in that song, that's for sure.

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

I know it's late but I just love Glen's rendition of Both sides now. His vocals just nail the lyrics and I think it's the best version vocally of all the versions I have heard. I also love "You might as well smile and Larry Weiss' song "Lay me down and (Roll me out to sea)". That is a song of such desolation if ever I heard one.

rickv404

Post by rickv404 »

"Yesterday when I was Young" and "Rag Doll" - definitely agree with those choices. Art Garfunkel did a great "Rag Doll" and Glen's "Yesterday..." is definitely superior to Roy Clark's. "Every Time I Sing A Love Song", one of my favorites, fits the bill.

Dee

Post by Dee »

Sad? Heartbreaking to listen to?
When I watched this performance tonight, I got the impression that Glen might have been feeling sad or unhappy at this time in his life.
I was very moved by it.

(Thank you, breautube.)

Dee

Post by Dee »

Definitely some sad songs, Cowpoke and rickv404.
Jimmy Webb's "Shattered" is on my list too. Where Do You Go...sometimes listening to the desperation and loneliness in this song does make me cry.
Other songs that I find very sad:
Long Walk Home and I'm Not Gonna Miss You
Glen's early recordings:
Long Black Limousine
Too Late to Worry, Too Blue to Cry
Tomorrow Never Comes
It's difficult now to listen to Yesterday, When I Was Young.
The most saddest for me is My Elusive Dreams ("you had my child in Memphis...but this time only two of us move(d) on...and now all we have is each other and a little memory to cling to"). When I first heard this song as a kid, I didn't understand what was meant by "only two of us moved on" because, in the world I grew up in, babies didn't die. Now these lyrics really get to me. This song is sad for me, too, because it is about a couple who can't achieve their dreams; dreams being "only fleeting things".

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

I usually smile when I listen to Glen's music. But the saddest song in Glen's catalogue to me is... Rag Doll. Usually Glen, as a song interpreter, is able to find some redemption in even the saddest songs. But in this song there seems to be no smile, not even a sad one. It's also one of the few songs in which Glen allows his voice to sound a little rough on the edges. I think he uses that here to great effect. An exceptional song in Glen's catalogue I think.

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
rickv404

Post by rickv404 »

None that really make me cry, but among the saddest I would name "I'll Be Lucky Someday", "You're Young and You'll Forget", "It's Over" (from GOMM), "Marie" (from RC), "Wedding Bells", "On This Road", "Where Do You Go", "I Was Too Busy Loving You" and "Shattered".

Dee

Discussion of the Week: GC songs that make you cry

Post by Dee »

I would like to suggest a different type of discussion of the week.

What Glen Campbell song makes you cry every time you hear it? What song sets off the waterworks for you?
And why? Do you find it a beautiful song? Does it remind you of something that happened in your own life? Is it Glen's voice that makes the tears well up? Is it the melody or the lyrics of the song?

Thanks!

Dee