Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Glen Campbell's Studio Sessions

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
admin
Site Admin

Re: Glen's Studio Sessions

Post by admin »

Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 11:53 am:

Does anyone know if GC played on any of the sessions for these two new Wanda Jackson releases of early Capitol recordings? (See below) I'm guessing he may have been on her sessions because there is YouTube video in which Glen plays as a member of her stage band for a television program that featured Wanda singing her hit, "Let's Have a Party." (Maybe you'll see why Wanda was called The Female Elvis!)

For the YT video, search under:

http://youtu.be/qArzVajzYX4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Uploaded by John1948ThirteenA

You can't miss Glen on the guitar, sitting on a stool. The film camera gives him a great close-up!

The two new releases are:

The Best Of the Classic Capitol Singles - Wanda Jackson

Capitol Rarities - Wanda Jackson

Both released by the label, Omnivore

You can find both recordings at amazon.com.

-Dee

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2013 - 07:30 pm:

Anytime Cowpoke---sometimes you just have to read the fine print...There are quite a few recordings out there with Glen on them and they have been on my needed list for 40 years! They go back even further than that so I doubt I will ever come across them, but its nice to keep looking!

-Arlw

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2013 - 06:30 am:

Update on The Champs' Latin Limbo/Limbo Dance. I found confirmation for Glen's involvement on this single in the AFM archives. And... I also listened to the tracks on Spotify. Sounds like some awesome guitar work by Glen! Thanks Arlw!

-Cowpoke

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Monday, December 10, 2012 - 10:02 pm:

Good find on Wikipedia. If you go to Glen's discography, then read the details of all his old LPs, you can check the session musicians (or at least the primary ones). Most of the old LPs have no info, but somehow it's listed here.

-Roberthd

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2012 - 03:38 pm:

An LP from Germany.

The Champs-Tequila. ACE Label. CH-227-This is an imported LP from West Germany 1987. This record was pressed in Germany in 1987. This is a MONO compilation LP that features a selection of 16 of the best tracks recorded for the Challenge Label between 1957 and 1962 by the legendary Latin-flavored instrumental rock group called “The Champs.”

This LP contains just about every one of their singles released during their peak period, beginning with their #1 classic, “Tequila”. Seals and Crofts joined the group in 1958 and remained until The Champs disbanded in 1964, and are featured on many of these tracks. A young Glen Campbell was also briefly a member of the group and also recorded quite a few of their hits as well. The album has great cover art too (which can really only be appreciated in glorious 12x12 format!). The record and the jacket are in excellent condition. The label is silver with black writing. Each track on the record is listed with the original release date. This has an impressive 16 tracks on one LP. Courtesy of Four Star Records, Under License From, CBS Special Products A Service of CBS Records, A Division of CBS, Inc. This compilation is copyrighted in 1987 from ACE Records Ltd. This is made, printed and manufactured in West Germany-a very rare LP in Mono Recording. The original tracks were all released on the Challenge Record Company. There is a write up on the back jacket and it mentions Glen Campbell and how he got to be part of the group, “The Champs.” In 1960, when Glen was with this group, he was also still doing studio guitar work but managed to stay with them for about a year. Glen Campbell then wanted to leave the group to devote more time to other session work and his own solo career.

Hope this helps

-Arlw

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2012 - 03:30 pm:

Cowpoke,
In answer to your question-I had asked Glen several times over the 35 plus years and when he told me about the Champs, I quickly wrote it down so I wouldn't forget it! That was good enough for me! I also got info from other sources that actually backed that all up so I know Glen is on those 3.

Have to keep in mind that unless they actually wrote the song in those days, their name wasn't on there. Some of the CD's will have a booklet where Glen's name is mentioned.

-Arlw

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2012 - 06:08 am:

Hi Arlw,
thanks for this information. Some comments just to add to your post. Glen's time with The Champs is one of my favorite subjects!

Tequila Twist/Limbo Rock - The Champs
I know of interviews where Glen mentions playing on "Limbo Rock". However, the contract for this particular recording session does not mention Glen. He could still be on there (if he did overdubs in a separate session or if Challenge discarded that particular session without Glen) but I now have my doubts.

JALISCO/SAN JUAN
I don't have any documentation on this session but I agree it's very likely Glen is on here. First, he wrote 2 of the the songs that were recorded during this session (Jalisco - even though that's mainly a rearrangement of an old traditional - and Bull Durham). Secondly, I listened to those tracks and it sure sounds like Glen on the 12-string.

The Champs – Latin Limbo/Limbo Dance
I have no documents on this session either. Arlw, did Glen also mention playing on these tracks in an interview? Thanks!

-Cowpoke

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2012 - 03:10 pm:

Cowpoke,
There are 3 45's that Glen Campbell plays studio session work on and they are with The Champs: This one backs up your info as it's the flip side.

Tequila Twist/Limbo Rock - The Champs #9131. Challenge Records, distributed by Warner Brothers Records. Arranged by Billy Strange and Chuck Rio. Glen does studio guitar work on this 45. Released in 1961. The record has some surface scratches, but plays very well, considering it’s age. The Challenge label is teal in color. Glen played session guitar on “Limbo Rock."

JALISCO/SAN JUAN – THE CHAMPS – This 45 was released in 1963 and Glen Campbell is on this record playing studio guitar work on the song “Jalisco.” It is on the Teal Challenge Record Company. The # is 59219. This is an original release/recording of this song. Ultra High Fidelity, Challenge Records. Glen Campbell’s name is listed under the song “Jalisco.” I assume that Glen wrote this song. The record is in very good condition, and is 39 years old-at the time bought!!!!

The Champs – Latin Limbo/Limbo Dance. This is a white promotional 45 on the Challenge Label, and original release from 1962. The vinyl is almost mint condition. The number is # 9162. Distributed by Warner Brothers Records. Promotional Copy-Not For Sale. Both songs were written by Dave Burgess. The 45 has a stamped star on the label. Glen Campbell plays studio guitar on both of these tracks.

Many CD's are out of The Champs, and if you can get one, you will see Glen's name. I think I have one somewhere!!

-Dee

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2012 - 11:50 am:

Good story, Arlw! Can't get better information on Tequila than that!

Also, check out this video on which Glen discusses the "urban legend" of Tequila.

http://youtu.be/bcojS-_aWU8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Glen Campbell talks about "Tequilla"

-Dee

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2012 - 10:56 pm:

Cowpoke,

Glen did not record Tequila with the Champs, but they did that track with Glen when Glen toured with them. I have the original 45 and when Glen's book signing was here way back in the 90's I had that 45 with me and asked if he would sign it. He said sure but I am not on that record. That's how I found out that Glen toured with them and yes played that song, but he never recorded it. I thanked him just the same. I for one don't know why they released that surfdog cd set with that song. They sure didn't do their homework.

-Arlw