Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Glen Campbell's Studio Sessions

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
arlw

Re: Glen Campbell's Studio Sessions

Post by arlw »

Cowpoke,
As far as I can tell doing research and etc.,.this is the only release I can find on Sandy Campbell. What's interesting is the label I HAVE on that silver disc!!! As the release below is 1973, but on MY label it has 1976! Also, the BIG GIRL NOW is b/w It's OVER FOR NOW---and I couldn't find that track anywhere. My guess is the one below is correct-I might have a RARE Label on that disc but I display it as BIG GIRL NOW.

Sandy Campbell
A: Big Girl Now
B: A Million Tears
Bollman International USA BI120 7

Regarding the studio session work, whatever you come across that says Glen is on it, go with the flow and listen to some of the tracks as they will always point you in the direction of Glen Campbell/not! Most of them, when I play them, I can tell right away if it's Glen/not. On some of those Champs recordings????

Randy

Post by Randy »

Yes great Carol Kaye quote Cowpoke. I know how much Dee thinks so highly of the wrecking crew as do I. And of course you too , Cowpoke. What a great atmoshpere to have as I was fortunate enough to have in my career too where you not only work together and are serious about your job, but you also become great friends and have "fun" working together. Truly a blessing!!!

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Randy, what about this quote from Carol Kaye?

Glen Campbell played with you on a bunch of dates before he became a solo star. Good guy?

"Oh, Glen was fantastic. What a funny guy! He would crack us up all the time. During breaks, Glen would sing us all these dirty country songs to make us laugh, and boy, did he have us going! But what a guitar player. He was great at rock 'n' roll soloing."
http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/ ... [...]-508217" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

What a great find Arlw! And thank you for posting about this on the forum! Do you think "Big Girl Now" / "A million tears" is Sandy's only released single? Also, great research on Leo Teel. Thanks again!

arlw

Post by arlw »

Cowpoke--this is the metal disc and Leo Teel that co-wrote the Sandy Campbell song--even though it's on a metal disc-I am honored to own this and will hang it-maybe one day I will get the real 45-this is a silver disc one sided track! After buying this I did some extra homework and found the guy that worked with Sandy and many other famous people, like GLEN!

This is a piece of memorabilia that was bought on eBay. It was listed as “Original Stamp Press of Sandy Campbell and Sandy is (Glen Campbell’s sister.) There is only one side to this record-so this is a one sided record. The tracks listed on the unglued label are “Big Girl Now”-Leo Teel-Phil York. #5021 A.B.L.-Bollman Productions-1976 is the release date of this recording. Bollman International Records-located in Dallas, Texas. B.I.-RECORDS. This item was removed from my Fathers studio Leo Teel-the center is unglued - I have no way to test for working conditions. May make a great conversational piece. Turns out the record is a METAL DISC and is a definite display piece. I played it and it is not Sandy Campbell so the label is cool and nice to have so will use this as a memorabilia piece as Glen Campbell’s sister. The label itself is an actual piece of Sandy Campbell’s recording, but it doesn’t match the disc. Still a nice piece and shines with a silver glossy finish! The other side of the label has also Sandy Campbell singing “It’s Over For Now” but being this is a metal disc and ONLY ONE SIDED, it will display the other track! There is some writing on the DISC, but can’t really make out what it is other than the B.I. Recording Company that is etched into the metal disc. This is added to my collection only because it is Glen Campbell’s sister.

From http://www.45cat.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :
Sandy Campbell - Big Girl Now / A Million Tears - Bollman International - USA - BI120 Sandy Campbell, Bollman International, USA, 7", Cat# BI120, Track A: Big Girl Now, Composer: Leo Teel, Phil York, Producer: Edward Brink, Track B: A Million Tears, Composer: Leo Teel, Phil York, Producer: Edward Brink

Teel, Leo Kellam May 2, 1924-July 30, 2010 The legendary Leo Teel talked often of his final glide pattern. He left the bandstand for the final time Friday, leaving behind big memories and tall tales for the music industry and especially country music. Mr. Teel, a lifelong recording engineer, helped pioneer a generation of independent musicians at his in-home studio in Grand Prairie, Texas. His lifelong work resulted in The Golden Guitar Award and he received an honorary key to the City of Dallas. Artists Mr. Teel counted among his clients and friends included Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Box Car Willy, Elvis Presley, Glen and Sandy Campbell, Billy Bailey, Dena Kaye, Billy Lynn Groom, Ray Price and the Dixie Chicks. Mr. Teel played at legendary local venues during his time as a performer, including the Bridgeport Club, Baghdad Club, Top Rail and the Red Jacket. He owned and operated several night clubs including the Tip Top Club and helped Hank Thompson develop business at Panther Hall. He counted night club owner Jack Ruby amongst his many, many friends and late in life was known to still conduct jam sessions for a new generation of artists. He was preceded in death by an infant daughter Betty Kay Teel and infant son James Arbie Teel, by son-in-law Sir Yogi Casas of Oak Cliff and sisters Arnell Groom of Mabank and Evelyn Penwell of Grand Prairie. Mr. Teel is survived by his daughter Judy Casas of Dallas, grand daughter and son-in-law Candice and Jamie Meredith of Dallas and great grandchildren McCoy, Bailey and Isabella Meredith, grandson and daughter-in-law Clint and Kim Shields of Austin and great grandchildren Braden and Reid Shields, nephew and daughter-in-law Kevin and Vicki Casas of Kapalua, Maui, Hawaii and great grandchild Kory J Casas and brother and sister-in-law, Ben and Diann Teel of Irving. Visitation and full military service for Mr. Teel are Noon, Tuesday at Eubank Funeral Home in Canton, Texas. He will be interred privately in High Cemetery. Published in Dallas Morning News on Aug. 2, 2010

What an interesting find!!!

arlw

Post by arlw »

I think you will love this-I bought it as I thought it was a one sided 45!

This is a piece of memorabilia that was bought on eBay. It was listed as “Original Stamp Press of Sandy Campbell and Sandy is (Glen Campbell’s sister.) There is only one side to this record-so this is a one sided record. The tracks listed on the unglued label are “Big Girl Now”-Leo Teel-Phil York. #5021 A.B.L.-Bollman Productions-1976 is the release date of this recording. Bollman International Records-located in Dallas, Texas. B.I.-RECORDS. This item was removed from my Fathers studio Leo Teel-the center is unglued/I have no way to test for working conditions. May make a great conversational piece.

Turns out the record is a METAL DISC and is a definite display piece. I played it and it is not Sandy Campbell so the label is cool and nice to have so will use this as a memorabilia piece as Glen Campbell’s sister. The label itself is an actual piece of Sandy Campbell’s recording, but it doesn’t match the disc. Still a nice piece and shines with a silver glossy finish! The other side of the label has also Sandy Campbell singing “It’s Over For Now” but being this is a metal disc and ONLY ONE SIDED, it will display the other track! There is some writing on the DISC, but can’t really make out what it is other than the B.I. Recording Company that is etched into the metal disc. This is added to my collection only because it is Glen Campbell’s sister. Getting ready to hang it up on the "Wall of Glen"!!!!!

arlw

Post by arlw »

Carol Kaye is an awesome lady! Talent is unreal--all of them for that matter! Music was given to them, and they just played it!!

Regarding this AFM contract, my DJ friend from Dallas said they are reliable to a degree. And, that could be taken many ways. Some are true blue and others not, I guess. What he mentioned was if you think Glen was on a session and have the evidence, let it stand. But, once again, you can put one's name on there, print it out, and say Glen or anyone else recorded that/recorded ON THAT. Just be sure of the info. Sometimes as you know-Glen is not listed on records/labels or anything else and you have to really dig for the info....It took me over 40 years to build my list so I know what is involved. Thanks for the chat on here-find it very interesting. Have something to post!

Randy

Post by Randy »

Yeah Cowpoke, Carol is really cool. I emailed her too once myself and she was very cordial and returned a very nice response. I wish she would get on here some. I still remember her on one of those videos somewhere where she said "I knew Witchita was really special", something about the hair standing up on her arms or goosebumps , don't remember exactly which. I could ramble on more, but just really admire that lady and what a great talent....

Any stories , you can share, I would love to read....

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

That's a great quote you found Randy! Love it. Carol Kaye has told some great stories about the session days.

@Arlw. I don't know, I think an AFM contract with Glen's name on it is pretty good evidence. I am curious to know based on what does your friend from Dallas say that this particular contract is unreliable, as far as Glen's involvement in this session?

Randy

Post by Randy »

I find this an outstanding read and I haven't read it all yet. Professionalism is something that all these players had and Glen's work ethic has always been something that I have admired along with all of these guys (n gals).

Q. What was it like to work with Glen Campbell and Leon Russell?

A. As you all know, Glen was a fabulous guitar player - long before he ever sang on his own hit records, and he was an excellent studio musician. Leon also, they were very unique in what they could create with in the way of sounds, soloings, funky licks and especially w/Leon, his left-handed gospel lines on the keyboards. They were both witty, very different tho', Glen being more outgoing, telling jokes, etc. and Leon kind of quiet, throwing in some great 1-liners here and there (he did stand up and do some "preaching" tho' one time). Most of us being from years of big-band, jazz combo work, etc., this was an unusual mixture of highly creative people who at first made up arrangements in the late 50s and early 60s either having bare-bones arrangements (maybe even just chord charts or none too), or being hired because we could augment someone's chart to turn the tune/singer/production into a hit record. Producers knew as soon as key people like Glen, Leon, or Earl Palmer (and a few others) walked in the door, "it was going to be a hit". Other HOT guitarists were Howard Roberts, excellent jazz legend who loved playing his fantastic rock solos too, as well as Billy Strange, another very fine guitar player and arranger too. Both Glen and Leon couldn't read really well when the arrangements got more complicated, and I swear this had something to do with them being "stars" too - Howard Roberts relished playing both rock and jazz, I don't know of another great like Howard who could do that, and go out at night to play his bebop jazz gigs and concerts....they all did well, were good to work with and for. I never forgot what a thrill it was to cut "Wichita Lineman" for Glen. And yes, he borrowed my Dano 6-stg. bass guitar to play his famous solo on (also for Galveston).

https://www.carolkaye.com/www/library/faq.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;