Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Glen Campbell's Studio Sessions

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
arlw

Re: Glen Campbell's Studio Sessions

Post by arlw »

Appreciate yours as well-thank you. I have a DJ friend here in the Dallas area and not only does he have written contracts from the 30's through 2015, he also has records and all the gear needed as he has his own radio show here in town. I know him almost 40 years---after my researching of Soupy Sales and coming up with just those 3 famous guys as posted earlier, there was nothing concrete so to speak to put Glen Campbell's name anywhere as it showed nothing! I contacted this DJ and he wrote to me late last night. He too found nothing to support the recording of that song. He said, "sometimes because Glen was with the Wrecking Crew, many people and performers just used his name on a piece of paper, but it really isn't him!" If that makes any sense to you----I was told long ago that Glen was on this, on that, this year, and that year, and it ALL turned out to be nothing. When you are "well-known" as Glen is/was back then, it is possible to put his name anywhere. In all honesty, I agree with this friend of mine and my research as well. Trust me-there is nothing more than GREATNESS to find new material that GC was on, but you better have concrete evidence to support that info. Just so you know, those AFM contracts are NOT ALWAYS correct...Nice discussion! By the way-I asked/called places about the cost of this 45 if Glen WAS on it---50.00 on up! There is 1 on ebay for 7.00--that tells you right away that GC is not on there. Would be nice to add to my collection--but this one too shall pass by the wayside. Thank you.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Hi Arlw,
I don't mind if you burst my bubble! :D I'm always after the most accurate information. I will check with Dee. I do have a AFM recording contract for those two Soupy Sales sides with Glen's name on it. I think I might even have one more Soupy Sales session in my files, but I have to check again. Thanks for your reply!

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
arlw

Post by arlw »

Cowpoke,
Check with Dee on this 45 as I wrote to her......I hate to burst your bubble, but Glen Campbell had nothing to do with Soupy Sales even in his session days! The only common thread here is Jimmy Haskell, Jimmy Bowen, and of course the great Jack Nitzsche. Yes, he has worked with those 3 as producers, and arrangers and even writers but GC didn't record anything with Soupy Sales....

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Hi Rob and all,

regarding the Soupy Sales sessions Glen was involved in.... Glen played guitar on this Soupy Sales single:

http://www.45cat.com/record/r20189" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am guessing he played on more Soupy Sales recordings, because of the involvement of Jimmy Haskell, Jimmy Bowen, Jack Nitzsche but this is the only record I know for sure.
Perhaps Arlw has more information on this?

arlw

Post by arlw »

SOUNDS OF SILENCE

The Sound Of Silence
Leaves That Are Green
Blessed
Kathy's Song
Somewhere They Can't Find Me
Anji

Richard Cory
A Most Peculiar Man
April Come She Will
We've Got A Groovy Thing Goin'
I Am A Rock

Hal Blaine
Glen Campbell
Fred Carter Jr
Art Garfunkel
Larry Knechtel
Paul Simon

Producer: Tom Wilson

Bob Johnston (Tracks 2-4,6-9,11), Tom Wilson (Tracks 1,5,10)
Glen Campbell on guitar

THERE IS SPECULATION ON THIS LP--GLEN IS NOTED FOR BLESSED AND IS MENTIONED ON THE TRACK "I AM A ROCK", BUT I TRUELY BELIEVE HE WAS ON THE OTHER TRACK BUT IN THE EP FORMAT ONLY AS STATED BELOW AND IT IS OOP-(OUT OF PRINT) BUT nice to know Glen had a part of Simon and Garfunkel...Took 3 hours to locate this ----
Simon & Garfunkel's EP I Am a Rock, with four tracks, "I Am a Rock," "Flowers Never Bend with the Rainfall," "The Sound of Silence," and "Blessed," was only released in the UK in 1966.
The cover art to the EP "I Am A Rock" by Simon & Garfunkel.

Author or copyright owner unknown

Source (WP:NFCC#4)
Original publication: London, CBS Records, 1966.
Immediate self-created
Date
Use in article (WP:NFCC#7)
Simon & Garfunkel

Purpose of use in article (WP:NFCC#8)
To illustrate solely the cover of this work.

There is no other way to reproduce the image of the cover of this EP.

The publisher has stopped attempting to sell this media. It is out of print.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Hi Mike,
I guess this book is a pretty good source. It confirms Glen's involvement in the "Sounds of Silence" album.

http://books.google.nl/books?id=jQGOxvD ... 22&f=false" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And on this page...

http://web.archive.org/web/200801152331 ... simon.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Paul Simon himself mentions Glen doing "some dates" for Simon & Garfunkel. Assuming Paul is referring to the Sounds of Silence sessions, this could mean Glen is on the majority of the tracks on that album. As to which tracks Glen plays on that album, the only track I am sure about is "Blessed".

What are your thoughts when you listen to that album. Which tracks have guitar parts that sound like GC?

Maybe that album has been rereleased on CD with extended liner notes and credits. I haven't checked. That would also help a lot! :)

arlw

Post by arlw »

It appears the overdubbing was done AFTER the original recording was done and the answer is on THIS one Glen Campbell is on the LP/CD "The Sounds of Silence"--I wouldn't go out of my way to locate this as it might be difficult to see Glen's name as this was The Wrecking Crew--who else???? As you can see there were 3 ISSUES of this LP!

There are three cover variations of the LP: Original issue: SIMON & GARFUNKEL on one line; SOUNDS OF SILENCE on another, all in capital letters, no song titles on the front.
Second issue: Enlarged title letters, with only the first letter of the words "Sounds" and "Silence" in the album title capitalized. The first letters in "Simon" and "Garfunkel" are capitalized, but the rest are in lower-case. Song titles also included on the front.
Third issue: Same front cover as the second, the back cover has the copy of Tiger Beat magazine in Garfunkel's hand airbrushed out.The original LP label mistakenly spells "Anji" as "Angie" and credits it to Bert Jansch, who had recorded the tune for his 1965 debut album. The back cover of the original LP sleeve properly credits Davey Graham as composer but retains the "Angie" misspelling. Both errors were corrected for subsequent reissues.

Charts[edit]
Chart (1966)

Peak position

UK Albums Chart 13
US Album Charts 21

Chart (1970)

Peak position

Spanish Albums Chart[3] 2

Personnel[edit]
Paul Simon: lead vocals, guitar
Art Garfunkel: lead vocals
Fred Carter, Jr.: guitar
Larry Knechtel: keyboards
Glen Campbell: guitar
Joe South: guitar
Joe Osborn: bass guitar
Hal Blaine: drums

Sounds of Silence was recorded in December 1965 at CBS studios in Nashville, Tennessee, and Los Angeles, California. The album was produced by Bob Johnston.

"The Sound of Silence" (electric overdubs) personnel:
Al Gorgoni: guitar
Vinnie Bell: guitar
Joe Mack: bass guitar
Bobby Gregg: drums

Dee

Post by Dee »

Hi, Mike,
Can you identify the conflicting sources you have already looked at?
Thank you,
Dee

Mike Smith

Post by Mike Smith »

I have read mixed info concerning Glen Campbell recording with Simon and Garfunkel. Anyone have anything definite? Specific songs GC is on? ... "Sounds of Silence" or..anything else?

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

This interview in Goldmine Magazine is almost the same as one I posted last year from Rock Cellar Magazine (http://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/2014/ ... -brothers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) but the last question is different and very interesting.
GM: Lastly, pick a lesser celebrated Righteous Brothers song that deserves reappraisal.
BM: There was song that Bobby and I wrote back in the early ’60s called “Try To Find Another Man.” We wrote it, so that felt good. Glen Campbell played guitar on it, so that felt good. Ahmet Ertegun and Jerry Wexler produced it, and that felt great. It just is the kind of song that really shows who Bobby and I are as artists.
http://www.goldminemag.com/features/bil ... nspiration" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks Dik de Heer!