Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Glen Campbell's Studio Sessions

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
arlw

Re: Glen Campbell's Studio Sessions

Post by arlw »

Merle Haggard And The Strangers, "Eleven Winners" - Capitol Records ST-11745 released in 1972. Glen Campbell sings harmony in the song "Carolyn".

I'm A Lonesome Fugitive - Merle Haggard and The Strangers - Capitol Records, ST-2702. Original release from the 60's. Black label. Glen plays guitar and harmonizes on every song on this album.

The Best Of Merle Haggard, SN-16054, A Capitol reissue. Glen does harmony on almost every song on this album. Also guitar work is done by Glen Campbell.

Merle Haggard And The Strangers, "Songs I'll Always Sing" - Capitol Records SABB-11531, a two record set, 1973, 1974, 1977 release. Glen Campbell is heard on the song, "Branded Man", as he does harmony and guitar work, also "Sing Me Back Home", and "I'm A Lonesome Fugitive".

"Sing Me Back Home" - Merle Haggard And The Strangers. Capitol Records ST-2848. Glen does harmony and guitar work on the song, "The Son Of Hickory Holler's Tramp". Original release on black label.

Merle Haggard and the Strangers – Swinging Doors and the Bottle Let Me Down- KOCH/KOC-3-4052-2. Previously released as Capitol ST-2585. This CD was released in 1995 by KOCH International LP-1995 CEMA Special Markets. A Product of CEMA Special Markets, a division of Capitol Records, Inc. All Rights Reserved. The original release of this album is 1966. Credits are listed and Glen Campbell is one of the guitarists on this CD. The CD will remain sealed, for value purposes only.

There are at least 75 LP's/DVD's with Merle Haggard on them along with Glen and others, but didn't post those. The above is from my collection and these are ALL Merle Haggard/Glen Campbell!

HAPPY EASTER!! :D

Dee

Post by Dee »

Glen Campbell was on guitar, banjo and backup vocals for Merle Haggard's 1968 “The Legend Of Bonnie And Clyde"?
This is interesting information! (Love that song!)

Info sourced from:

Haggard song inspired by love for outlaws
Texarkana Gazette (TX) - March 25, 2016
http://www.pressreader.com/usa/texarkan ... 5/textview" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is there AFM documentation for this information, Cowpoke and Ar?

Thanks!

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

You're welcome too Arlw!

On another note: this CD apparantly has Glen mentioned in the credits as guitarist: http://www.allmusic.com/album/these-are ... 0002629095" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
arlw

Post by arlw »

Just so you know--there are MANY of these 45's available on E-BAY....Right around 2-5.00 tops--the postage sometimes is MORE than the actual 45 rpm! There are also some of these that were released in the UK!

arlw

Post by arlw »

Looks like the matching VINYL to the CD!! Interesting--thank you Cowpoke....Always glad to assist. I will have to search for that 45-I own NONE!

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Thanks Arlw! Appreciate it very much. We're lucky to have you on this forum!

I am closing in on another set of Andy Williams' tracks that Glen presumably played on. Interestingly enough, they are also present on "25 All-Time Greatest Hits 1956-1961: The Cadence Years".

The tracks were originally released on 1 single:

"In the Summertime (You Don't Want My Love)" b/w "Don't Go to Strangers (Cadence 1389)

Both tracks were recorded in one session on October 17, 1960 (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Williams%27_Best" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). This fits in perfectly with Glen's timeline. Glen came to LA in mid-July 1960. However he starved for a few months until he got the gig with The Champs in late October 1960. Now Glen's career as a studio musician didn't really get started until 1961 when he started making demos for American Music (and being recognized as a talented musician by producers who listened to his demos). So if Glen is on this Andy Williams 45rpm it must have been (one of) his first session(s) after moving to LA.

What proof do I have? I have an audience taping of a concert by Andy and Glen in the Grand Palace in Branson. On stage they share the story of how they first met: the recording session for "In The Summertime"! Andy also mentions that it was one of Glen's first jobs as a studio musician. After that they perform the song together. The sound quality is not good, but still, for historical purposes I will try to upload this part of the audience recording to the Resources forum here on Glen Campbell Forums.

PS: both songs were released on this album in late 1961...

arlw

Post by arlw »

Here you go cowpoke--GREAT CD!!! This is the ONLY one I have with Glen Campbell and Andy Williams-many people thought he was on "Moon River", but that is not true! If you locate this CD on Amazon or EBay-I would buy it!!

ANDY WILLIAMS – 25 ALL – TIME GREATEST HITS 1956-1961: THE CADENCE YEARS. The release date of this CD is April 9, 2002. The label is VARESE RECORDS/VARESE SARABANDE. # 302-066-303-2. The label on the CD itself is, “CADENCE RECORDS”, NEW YORK. There are 25 tracks on this CD. This compilation is from 2002 on Barnaby Records, Inc. “Courtesy of Barnaby Records, Inc. by arrangement with Celebrity Licensing, Inc.” 2002 Varese Sarabande Records, Inc. Liner notes are included in this CD. It is mint condition, as it is a brand new CD. Glen Campbell plays studio session guitar work on this CD. He plays on “I Like Your Kind Of Love”, and “Summer Love.” Distributed by Universal Music and Video Distribution, located in California. This is printed and made in the United States. This compilation of Andy Williams is the most comprehensive single disc collection of his Cadence Years from one of the most popular vocalists of all time.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

A request for Arlw. If you have time of course, would you please tell me again what your files say about Glen's session work for Andy Williams? Many thanks in advance!

Dee

Post by Dee »

Very cool, Cowpoke!
Thanks for your definitive research!
That's me...Glen freaking Campbell.jpg
That's me...Glen freaking Campbell.jpg (11.27 KiB) Viewed 6801 times

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

It's him allright. Confirmation by AFM contract, liner notes etc. Cool huh?