Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Glen Campbell Videos / Shows on TV

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Cowpoke

Re: Glen Campbell Videos / Shows on TV

Post by Cowpoke »

A message for Dutch fans...

Glen's documentaire "I'll Be Me" is volgende maand te zien op donderdag 11 februari 2016 om 22.55 uur op NPO2 (http://www.ntr.nl/Het-Uur-van-de-Wolf/6 ... eliers/211" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

I caught that screening goodtimemattie. I can never understand why Glen was killed of in the original film and not in the remake. It seemed so unfair.Do they know how much that scene devastated all the young fans at the time. I remember reading that a fan had to take her daughter to see Glen live in concert to prove he wasn't in fact killed, as she had seen in the film.
I also saw the BBC4 screening of An evening with Glen Campbell. I have the recording but watched it anyway.
I don't know what it was but I felt very connected to Glen in the broadcast, inasmuch I felt the emotion and the excitement that Glen would have felt at being on stage with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. Which was a fulfilment of a life time dream at that time. I actually felt like I was there, if that makes sense. A great show and one of my all time favourite live recordings of Glen at his peak.

goodtimemattie

Post by goodtimemattie »

The Encore Western Channel ran "True Grit' on Saturday 1/3-when Glen died and Mattie was there brushing his hair-I cried-couldn't help it-

People don't know they're looking at soul-Ghost on the Canvas
Dee

Post by Dee »

Thanks, Cowpoke! BBC4 rocks!
Did any fans catch this televised concert for the first time?
If so, we would love to hear your thoughts about it.

Sadly, it appears that some or all of the Country Pop Legends performances on video (see below) that were on YouTube have now been taken down.
At least the DVD of this PBS special can still be purchased on online under the name of "Legends of Country: Classic Hits of 50s, 60s and 70s".

Cowpoke

Re: Country Pop Legends - Glen on TV

Post by Cowpoke »

Hi all,
for those who can watch BBC4, "An Evening with Glen Campbell" airs again this Saturday night (actually it's already sunday by then) at 0:50 am!

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Dee

Post by Dee »

Just super...thank you for posting these two songs from the PBS special, Randy!
Hadn't known that all of these wonderful video clips from that special were on YouTube.
These performances are a good example of what I love about GC: every time he performs one of his standards, it's like he is performing it for the first time, enjoying it and giving 100% to it.
If this show was recorded in 2007, can you imagine how many times he had sung "Wichita Lineman" and "Galveston" by then?
Glen does something in this video that you just posted that Jimmy Webb mentioned recently at one of his concerts: Glen was always so good about recognizing the songwriters of his songs.
Jimmy has always been very grateful for this acknowledgement because, he said, many singers don't do that.
He also shared that Frank Sinatra was another artist who also gave credit to songwriters when he performed, just as Glen did here.
Dee

Randy

Post by Randy »

Yes that's true Dee, I haven't found one I like better than this one....

Dee

Post by Dee »

This video on YouTube is from the PBS special that we discussed below:

Dee

Post by Dee »

Pavarotti!
I really appreciate BJ's mature voice.

Rob, this program is for sale by PBS stations that broadcasted it.
(I agree, the camera work was excellent in capturing live performances and the audience's reactions.)
Also, as Cowpoke posted below, Glen's performances on the PBS program can be found on a (Shout Factory) DVD with other artists, "Legends of Country: Classic Hits of 50s, 60s and 70s".
(Check out amazon's listing: http://www.amazon.com/Legends-Country-C ... 0s+and+70s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

One amazon reviewer listed the performances on this Shout Factory DVD, and I noticed his list doesn't include Glen's performance of "It’s Only Make Believe". This performance was also not televised; it must be only available on the PBS DVD.

Another reviewer explains that many music performances for public television are "privately produced and are licensed by PBS for broadcast in edited form." See the post by "Boston Brahmin" on September 8, 2011.

I felt that the one bonus of watching the televised PBS version was seeing Glen helping to promote public television by asking for pledges.

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

Watch closely, how B.J. Thomas stretches his vocal cords to sing and warble I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry.

It's Opera!