Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums On The Net
(c) 2014-2020 GLEN CAMPBELL FORUMS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Glen Campbell Discography

ESSENTIAL HISTORY THAT MAY SURPRISE YOU * NEW MUSIC RELEASES * BEST VIDEOS * BREAKING NEWS
dee2

Re: Glen Campbell Discography

Post by dee2 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:26 pm

Yes, thank you, Ar!
As soon as I can, I will post the names of the singers on the Melody Ranch album I had purchased featuring Glen Campbell. As guessed by Cowpoke, not all of the tracks are Glen's such as "Mental Revenge". Big disappointment! I had hoped this song was Glen's revenge song addressed to Jerry Capehart.

Re: "The Ballad Of J.C." by Gordon Terry (Capitol 2792) (b side "Untanglin' My Mind")

The Ballad of J.C.-gcf.jpg
The Ballad of J.C.-gcf.jpg (85.27 KiB) Viewed 71 times

This is an interesting record that really doesn't fit in with Glen Campbell's discography. He does not perform or sing on it. However, it could be said to be a "Glen Campbell record" and a significant one at that (as pointed out by the arrows in the image above) and for another reason.

Written and performed by Gordon Terry, the single was released in March 1970. In the sixties/seventies' hay day of country music, artists would sometimes cut humorous "tribute" songs (and also albums) to poke a little harmless fun at their respected peers in the music industry. This record produced by Glen Campbell followed in the same tradition of fun and was intended for a good friend of his. (Wish Glen had sung it.)

:arrow: You can listen to "The Ballad Of J.C." here: https://youtu.be/gOD_5zeTAnk
(The music video appears to have no picture, which is only an image of the 45.)

BONUS: I thought you all may enjoy this one, too, a song recorded by country artist Jane Morgan: "A Girl Named Johnny Cash". The video shows Jane performing her song live with the Man in Black himself ... Johnny Cash!

Above video posted on the PeterRabbit59 channel.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:57 pm

Thanks Arlw for that information. I wonder if all the tracks on that LP are performed by Glen or are most of the tracks by other artists?

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...

arlw

Post by arlw » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:46 pm

Melody Ranch Volume 3-Country Stars Mint Music DVD. This is NTSC Region Free and suitable for USA DVD players. THE HIGHLIGHTS FROM 5 YEARS OF MELODY RANCH TELEVISION SHOWS. A dazzling series of segments from the benchmark music-TV program "Melody Ranch" which brought rising and well-known stars of country music to the West Coast television in the late 60s and early 70s. Such artists as Glen Campbell, Merle Haggard, Barbara Mandrell, Waylon Jennings, Roy Clark, Donna Fargo and others (appearing on various volumes of this Melody Ranch series) are seen as young singers on the rise, performing the hits that would soon make them country superstars. Nostalgia buffs and country music lovers alike will be compelled by the glimpses of today's veterans as eager youngsters - and by reminders of the charm of pre-MTV approaches to music television. Re-mastered to the highest possible quality from material filmed on cameras of the times. This DVD contains “The Sons of the Pioneers”, “Glen Campbell”, “Johnny Bond”, and many others. IMM-940047 (8-712177-046645.) There are 20 performances on here and Glen does just one, “Gentle on my Mind.” Nice picture of Glen Campbell on the back of the DVD cover. The DVD cover comes in full color on the front/back. This one is also made in Portugal, but it is region free. Put out by Immortal. This DVD is about 50 minutes long. Licensed from IMC Licensing from SA / Released in 2004. The DVD was designed in The Netherlands

arlw

Post by arlw » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:44 pm

From my collection:

Factory sealed new archive release of segments from the benchmark music-TV show "Melody Ranch" which brought rising and well-known stars of country music to west-Coast TV in the late '60's and early '70's. This is Volume 4 and it features 20 songs, including vintage footage of Tex Ritter, The Dillards, Lynn Anderson, Glen Campbell and more. Cool stuff and a great collectible DVD! Put out by IMMORTAL. It is in full color and about 53 minutes. NTSC Format-2004 release date- IMC Music Ltd. IMM-940048 (8-712177-046652.) Mono Recording. There are 20 different DVD recordings on here-highlights from 5 years of Melody Ranch Television Shows. Glen is on the first two tracks. He does “By The Time I Get To Phoenix” and “Cripple Creek.” This program has been compiled from television archive footage that has been re-mastered to the highest possible quality. Regarding these “MELODY RANCH” DVD’s-Glen Campbell is also on Volume 2 and Volume 3. This one is Volume 4. This DVD was opened to see if it would play and it is NTSC format.

Melody Ranch Volume 2-Country Stars Mint Music DVD. This is NTSC Region Free and suitable for USA DVD players. THE HIGHLIGHTS FROM 5 YEARS OF MELODY RANCH TELEVISION SHOWS. A dazzling series of segments from the benchmark music-TV program "Melody Ranch" which brought rising and well-known stars of country music to the West Coast television in the late 60s and early 70s. Such artists as Glen Campbell, Merle Haggard, Barbara Mandrell, Waylon Jennings, Roy Clark, Donna Fargo and others (appearing on various volumes of this Melody Ranch series) are seen as young singers on the rise, performing the hits that would soon make them country superstars. Nostalgia buffs and country music lovers alike will be compelled by the glimpses of today's veterans as eager youngsters - and by reminders of the charm of pre-MTV approaches to music television. Re-mastered to the highest possible quality from material filmed on cameras of the times. Glen sings “SATISFIED MIND” and “BURNING BRIDGES.” Put out by Immortal. The DVD has a full color front and back and a total of 18 performances. Glen is on the first two. This DVD is about 45 minutes long. Licensed from IMC Licensing from SA / Released in 2004. IMM-940046-(8-712177-046638.). This DVD was actually made in Portugal, but it is region free. There are pictures on the back of the DVD and Glen Campbell is on two of them. Great DVD. The DVD was designed in The Netherlands.

arlw

Post by arlw » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:36 pm

I have this LP--if you find another, buy it. This is my write up from my collection. There are also DVD's released w/this title-I have that as well.

Golden West Broadcasters Presents The Very Finest In Country And Western Entertainment – “MELODY RANCH-FEATURING GLEN CAMPBELL” – This album is LIVE at the Melody Ranch on the STACK-O-HITS blue colored label. Release date of this LP is 1981. A.G. 9020. This record has no breaks/lines in between the vinyl as it was recorded live, so it looks like it’s a one track LP and it’s like that on BOTH sides! Stack –O- Hits Records is from Los Angeles, CA. Distributed through ALBUM GLOBE DISTRIBUTION, INC., located in Tennessee. AG-Album Globe-Vintage Series is written on the cover. This is an original release with 11 tracks on here. The tracks are-Back In The Saddle Again, Wabash Cannonball, Roll Roll Rollin Along, Beautiful Dreamer, Gentle On My Mind, Lies, Boll Weevil, Mental Revenge, Spanish Flea and Hoedown, May The Good Lord Bless And Keep You, and the show ends with Back In The Saddle Again! This LP is extremely rare to locate. The jacket is in great shape. The LP is almost mint condition. A very rare find and considered an “Obscured” LP!

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:30 pm

Hi Dee,
I don't think I ever saw this one before. How cool! There is nothing I can say about this release. I have no information on it. Time for the real experts... Hair, Arlw, KOA.

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...

dee2

Post by dee2 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:22 am

Hi All,
I have a question about this LP that is not listed in Glen's discography. It doesn't seem to be a common one and may not be authorized because--similar to the Starday albums, Glen's image is not on it. Or, it just may be a promo.

Some of the songs or instruments are unfamiliar to me such as "Mental Revenge".
Others are instrumentals (12-string?) that appear on other GC albums but I hadn't known GC performed these pieces on Melody Ranch, the tv show.

Could some of these tracks be from the Melody Ranch radio broadcasts?

"Goldenwest Broadcasters presents the very finest in Country and Western Entertainment""

"Melody Ranch Featuring GLEN CAMPBELL"
1981, Distributed through Album Globe Distributing Co. Inc., TN
AG-9020 Stereo

On the back cover:
The illustrations are a commercial concept for this album. Therefore, we are unable to say that the illustrations represent a completely accurate presentation of the recording artist as he has or does now appear. The album may contain previously recorded material."
Melody Ranch Featuring Glen Campbell-front.jpg
Melody Ranch Featuring Glen Campbell-front.jpg (69.79 KiB) Viewed 185 times
Melody Ranch Featuring Glen Campbell-back.jpg
Melody Ranch Featuring Glen Campbell-back.jpg (52.12 KiB) Viewed 185 times
Thanks!

Dee

The_Beach

Post by The_Beach » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:42 pm

Hi Rob

I seen on your list of rare Glen Campbell CDs you gave Glen credit for Jerry Capehart single "Song Of New Orleans" b/w "The Theme For The Young And The Blue" (Crest 1101, 1962). Did Glen help record these if so what did he help with? Or did Glen do all the work and Jerry put his name on the single? Thanks

The_Beach

Post by The_Beach » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:27 pm

Dee wrote:Thanks so much, Cowpoke!

So, DIDN'T WE was never released on a studio album -- just on this compilation? It hardly seems possible (and I'm certain you are right).
Then, this compilation album (pictured below) is especially significant -- in addition to the other unreleased, unsourced recordings on it!

It's a difficult album to find, at least it was for me. I only recently bought a used one. Thanks again!
Glen_Campbell_Rhinestone_Cowboy_(New_Studio_Recordings)_album_cover.jpg
Bump...

This albums seems a little bit more then a normal compilation to me. Now it is much easier to find this album has been reissued as Glen Campbell - Country Boy's Hits. Its pretty cheap to get too on amazon right now if anyone is interested in it.

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:16 pm

I have this album Dee, bought it many years ago. As I recall Glen didn't play on this album. If he had done so, he would have been credited without doubt. I would imagine the cost to include Glen would have been too high at that time. Lending his name and image would have also had a price tag attached I am sure. Glen was surely far too busy to be involved directly with the project, given his own commitments with the Good time show, tours and his own album productions.
Still it was a good album, but I doubt it would have appealed to many outside of the bluegrass persuasion.