Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Glen Campbell Discography

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
robduloc

Re: Glen Campbell Discography

Post by robduloc »

audacious*

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

Well, the forum did it again, I got to hear Nothing Hurts Like You Do and Believe It Or Not for the first time today.

This may be common place for you, but the community is really helping me to get to all the places I would like, so thank you...

My son told me that he uses the free program rickv404 mentioned to edit music, and that ITunes is the best place for me to upload my CD's and compose playlist, I'm not quite there yet, but we have noticed that blank cassettes are getting harder and harder to find and buy, well, that also means cassette head cleaners as well!

doy*

Funny to think there may be someone out there with a cache of these analog audio products that are no longer available for retail.

But I love YouTube and the links you have shared, I personally spent all of the 1980's recording TNN Segments and editing out all the commercials, it would be nice to find a place to post a number of those one time only broadcasts.

I love the drawing of Campbell with the fender guitar, fenders always strike me good enough to eat like a long slick wet Popsicle, I'm sure the chords and notes melt in the hand.

And It would be nice to have the Energy Label Record Number for Nothing Hurts Like You Do and Believe It Or Not, I would enter the info into my system soon as I got the correct label classification numbers.

It was incredible to hear the guitar solo for Believe It Or Not, knowing in the song someone caught their eye and don't want to let go, we measure our triumphs and conquest with the people and friends we meet along the way.

I have a unique list that I would like to share here.

Composers that contributed a song on one of Glen Campbell's 64+ main albums who are women, Campbell took great pride that he had an ear for a song, it is nice to see that it wasn't relegated to a men's club and a number of songs have a woman's touch.

A good song is a good song, and then there is that divine spark, the ultimate love triangle when the characters in a song meet, fall in love and all outside interference or obstacles fall and drop away.

It takes two to tell both sides of the story. And so yeah, you will always want the man and woman's perspective.

BRUCE BOUTON/ALICE RANDALL
1992 Who's Minding The Store

ASHLEY CAMPBELL/KAI WELCH
2015 Remembering

PHIL DRISCOLL/LARI GOSS
1991 Jesus And Me

MARGO GURYAN
1968 Sunday Mornin' [duet w/Bobby Gentry]

BECKY HOBBS/DON LANDON
1987 You Are

HAZEL HOUSER
1967 My Baby's Gone

JANIS IAN/LARRY WEISS
1978 "Stars/Rhinestone Cowboy Medley"
[live at the Royal Festival Hall]

ARCHIE P. JORDAN/NAOMI MARTIN
1993 (If I'd Only Known) It Was The Last Time

KATHERINE KENNICOT DAVIS/HARRY SIMEONE
1993 Little Drummer Boy

BARRY MANN/CYNTHIA WELL
1975 We're Over

VICTORIA MEDLIN/NED ALBRIGHT
1977 How High Did We Go

CINDY MORGAN
2004 How Could I Ask For More

SHIRLEY NELSON
1970 Once More With Feeling

STEVIE NICKS
1984 After The Glitter Fades

JACK NITZCHE/WILBUR JENNINGS/BUFFY SAINT-MARIE
2004 Up Where We Belong

DOLLY PARTON
1991 Light Of The Clear Blue Morning

KIM PATTON/BECKY THURMAN/GEOFF THURMAN
1994 Call It Even

NOEL REGNEY/GLORIA SHAYNE BAKER
1995 Do You Hear What I Hear

BUFFY SAINT-MARIE
1969 Take My Hand Awhile
1969 Until It's Time For You To Go

GLORIA SKLEROV/PHYLLIS MOLINARY
1976 Everytime I Sing A Love Song

PHIL SPECTOR/BARRY MANN/CYNTHIA WELL
1999 You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'

BECKY THURMAN/GARY LUNN
1992 The Eyes Of Innocence

GEOFF THURMAN/BECKY THURMAN
1992 Shelter From The Storm

CINDY WALKER
1971 Dream Baby (How Long Must I Dream)

DOTTIE WEST/BILL WEST
1975 Here Comes My Baby
[Glen Picks, Ernie Sings]

VICKY WICKHAM/SIMON NAPIER-BELL/PINO DONNAGIO/VITO PALLIAVICINI
1999 You Don't Have To Say You Love Me

Well, there's one for the ladies and men~

When you look at the chronology, what are the odds Becky Hobbs married Geoff Thurman and changed her name to Becky Thurman, if I was a contributing songwriter for Glen Campbell, I would want to want to seal the deal in a marriage with my partner, and have Campbell preside over the affair*

But then I don't how to look up those things, so maybe someone could tell me, of this is indeed a match made in heaven.

You Don't Have To Say You Love Me is one of my favorite Glen Campbell songs and fits in the category of great Standards and Pop Ballads that we've been exploring here.
Last edited by robduloc on Sat May 23, 2015 6:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

rickv404

Post by rickv404 »

I use Audacity, or any audio player that can record "what you hear" on your computer would do. In Audacity and other programs, this would be the "Stereo Mix" option you would select in options for recording. You can also use Audacity to edit your audio files; cut dead air from the start or end of the song and change the tone and tempo of the song. It's pretty comprehensive with tools for audio editing. Audacity is free -

http://web.audacityteam.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dee

Post by Dee »

Thank you, rickv404, your channel is an excellent source of these Glen Campbell rarities.
The audio is outstanding. Can I ask how you transfer vinyl recordings to digital files?

Following are the two songs you mentioned in your post below. (I like the caricature of Glen with a Fender guitar for the Believe It Or Not audio.)

rickv404

Post by rickv404 »

Now, I have four more songs by Glen Campbell to look up:

If You Were My Lady
It's One to Grow On
Nothing Hurts Like You Do
Believe It or Not
The last two I posted on my YouTube channel - rickv404

Dee

Post by Dee »

Fascinating posts, Rob! Thank you and Son of Flintstone.
I need some time to absorb the information about the promos, especially promos on cassette and the early ones on CD.
Among my GC cassettes is a 1989 MCA Records cassette promo for "She's Gone, Gone, Gone" with "William Tell Overture" (Glen with Dennis McCarthy) on the b-side. Still sealed, the cassette is inside a cardboard sleeve (open at both ends) and not a typical plastic case. A notation on the back of the sleeve reads "From the upcoming Universal LP, UVL-76007, "Walkin' In the Sun". Until I read your post, I had no understanding of the significance of this promo produced during the era of changing media for promos.
I also have a vinyl promo for "She's Gone, Gone, Gone" from this same year, isn't this odd? Vinyl and cassette?
45 1989 Both sides: She's Gone, Gone, Gone UVL-66024 Universal Records. Manufactured by MCA Records. "Promotion Copy/Not for Sale". White and black label. Produced by Jimmy Bowen and Glen Campbell. (Bought for less than a dollar, holy cow!)

Rob, more replies to your posts to follow. :) The info about the promos on cassette is especially interesting to me!

For now, following are answers to some of your questions:

If You Were My Lady / It's One to Grow On
Single/45
Energy Records
Marketed by President Records, London
Picture sleeve (front and back)

A-side: Glen Campbell & Diane Solomon "If You Were My Lady"
NRG 008a
Composer: Ed Fournier
3:21
Produced by Glen Campbell and Howard Kruger

B-side: Glen Campbell & Diane Solomon "It's One To Grow On"
NRG 008b
Composer: Jerry Fuller (don't you love it? Mr. Jerry Fuller!)
2:58
Produced by Glen Campbell and Howard Kruger

Believe It Or Not -- composed by Mike Post & Steven Geyer
Nothing Hurts Like You Do -- composed by Dennis East
(Please let me know if you need more info about this single; it is also on the Energy label.)

Colleen -- composed by "Smotherman" according to the track list for the Glen Campbell Heroes Collection ("41 Classic Tracks"), import, made in Germany
Great question about the songwriter of "Colleen", Rob. Oddly, Michael Smotherman's name as the songwriter is missing / listed as "unknown" on at least some Glen Campbell discography pages in Wikipedia and AllMusic.
The following copyright source does show a "Colleen" written by Michael Smotherman: http://www.copyrightencyclopedia.com/colleen/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

I'll be back.....
Dee

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

I believe that I may have an answer to what happened when Glen Campbell and his record label made the transition from 45 Singles to compact disc.

Son Of Flintstone provided the info.

As you may know, many artist made the transition from vinyl 45 Singles to extended mixes and alternate versions on compact disc.

When you look at Glen Campbell's 45 Single discography, there is a whole chunk missing starting around the album Unconditional Love, exactly what are the songs the record label are promoting as singles.

The answer may very well could be, the company were promoting singles but only for radio play, a great loss to fans of popular music and record buying public at large.

Before compact discs, it was common for a promo to have the same song on a 45 single, one side mono, the other side stereo, or sometimes the mono or stereo version taking up both sides of a pressing to encourage lots of play.

You have to be pretty eclectic to want to track down and buy these. They're not commercial pressings.

Here are the Capitol and Capitol Nashville singles when everything changed.

44524 (February 1990) Walking In The Sun/Somebody's Leavin'
Capitol 44524 a cassette only commercial single

Capitol 7996-79494 are promo only A/A side vinyl 45's no commercial pressings were made of these titles

7996 (February 1990) Walking In The Sun
(same flip)
79107 (May 1990) On A Good Night
(same flip)
79279 (August 1990) Somebody's Leavin'
(same flip)
79494 (December 1990) Unconditional Love
(same flip)

79676-79354 were CD promo singles, if any promo 45's exist for 79676-79354 they would be rare

79676 (December 1990) Livin' In A House Of Love
(same flip)
79903 Right Down To The Memories
(same flip)
79354 Somebody Like That
(same flip)

It's common for a fan or listener to have a pretty good idea what are the songs on an album to push or promote as a single, the transition from vinyl to compact disc records also marked a change how music is formatted and categorized in different styles or taste, popular music lost some of its' initial spark or soul being marketed that way!

It is nice to go back to the original compact discs and know for sure which songs were earmarked for radio broadcast.

Now days it's popular to listen to an entire album for free on YouTube, and so the way music is traded is changing all the time.

For better or for worse... everything comes full circle, the arc of an artist's career loved and remembered by anyone willing to listen and play what has proven to be a vast array of systems.

Thanks Son, for helping me stick to my roots~

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

I remember the song, "Didn't We" much the same way that I remember iconic verses from the Great American Songbook, "My Way" or "All The Way".

Somewhere along the line I thgnk that I read "Didn't We" is composed by Jimmy Webb, I hope my searches prove true, in which case I think that it is one of the most saddest or shall I say, brilliant works of my time.

And I am proud Jimmy Webb can lay claim to such a truly inspired work, it must have fallen from the stratosphere into his hands.

I would've like to be around when Glen Campbell decided it was time to pay tribute and all the talent and resources involved, the years of love and loss or picking up the pieces, finding and making a new home for yourself and filling it with new life, all the hurt has to take a toll somewhere, best to put it in a song, pure emotion up for review, a soul on trial, a sweltering fire reduced to ash or cold dying embers.

Working to put the pain behind you, knowing there are loved ones at stake that have no choice but to move on.

End the fighting.

We are all survivors, one way or another, we learn to hide our wounds and live to love another day.

"Young At Heart" is composed by Johnny Richards and Carolyn Leigh, I believe, Richards was renowned for orchestration and big band, cutting some of his best works with Sinatra in the early fifties, nice to have Leigh lend her touch to the lyrics, sweeping rhythm and melody.

Unforgettable, Campbell ranks high among the best versions.

"All The Way", a modern classic composed by Jimmy Van Heusen and Sammy Cahn, Hollywood's elite songwriting duo, the heart of Los Angeles and the best the city has to offer, a work that speaks to our heart when all the memories fit into place and a new lease on life pays off.

The road home to your heart, promises met and fulfilled.

"Blue Sky Shining" composed by Mickey Newbury, one of the most covered songwriters and undisputed masters of word and music I am sure that he never turned his back on his muse, a wealth of solo records worth searching and seeking out, a hot property in his own right, a true voice of our time, power to reckon with, musician's musician, check out Mickey Newbury's official website.

"Pretend" a musical fixture, pillar or backbone of the 1950's, composed Lew Douglas, Cliff Parnam and Frank Levere, another song that I would've liked to be present when Campbell recorded it, the needle or dial pushed in the red to full effect.

"Learnin' The Blues", composed by Delores Vicki Silvers, learning to warm up to a good music bar and play over the chatter of a busy night club, a triumph of the heart and mastery over one's hunger, drive and desire, I'm sure that Campbell can relate all that music has to offer the initiate, feed and sustain the instinct to create, entertain and start afresh every day and night, or set.

I'm still looking to learn who composed "Colleen", a song where I hear something new or different every time that I play it, multi-layered track, composition and performance.

"Believe It Or Not", is by Mike Post and Stephen Geyer, yes? Two names that I am familiar with, a song that truly defines the time in which it was released, when everyone felt invincible, willing to give success a shot, and see all your efforts pay off.

"Believe It Or Not". There is an overriding tone, who the lyrics are speaking or talking to, the loved ones that never gave up on you, watched and followed you to the top.

All the songs covered here possess a certain hindsight, the long hard road to success, distant memories and the people who swim in the convolutions of your heart and brain passages, the strength to carry on, stronger for the vital trade and exchanges.

Today I got to watch the video for "If You Were My Lady".

I am having trouble looking up who composed it and the accompanying 45 Singles, "It's One To Grow On", and "Nothing Hurts Like You Do".

I will be adding these songs to my existing list along with the bonus tracks from the Capitol "Rhinestone Cowboy" Deluxe Edition!

Thank you for helping me get closer to my dream to buy and own all of Glen Campbell's major works.

Rob~

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

I purchased and more important, have listened to and enjoyed over 64+ main albums by Glen Campbell, it wasn't until I heard Colleen I felt complete.

I have Rickv404 to thank.

And Dee's incredible links, how entertaining, and I feel safe drawing on Cowpoke's and the forum's vast knowledge.

Now, I have four more songs by Glen Campbell to look up:

If You Were My Lady
It's One to Grow On
Believe It or Not

Awesome!

Thank you, so much, everybody~

And thank you, Kruger Bros. whoah*

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Dee, that is a typical example of a release licensed by Howard Kruger's organization. He and his father Jeffrey Kruger (who goes way back with Glen when his Ember records released Glen's early succes albums in the UK) have the rights for some of Glen's recordings. This particular release combines some tracks from the Love Songs album (which was originally a UK-only release called My Hits and Love Song (1999)), the 1981 Glen Campbell Live album and some of those mysterious tracks that started to pop up from the early 00s on. They are:

By the Time I Get to Phoenix (rerecording)
Didn't We (rerecording)
Rhinestone Cowboy (rerecording)
Pretend
Blue Sky Shining (rerecording)
Learning the Blues (rerecording)
Young at Heart
All the Way (2nd rerecording)
Colleen

I have not been able to pinpoint when and where these recording were made. By the sound of Glen's voice I would say somewhere in the early to mid-eighties. A friend of mine once commented that to him the recordings (with the exception of Colleen) sounded very much like live recordings without an audience.

Recently, they have started releasing the audio of Glen's 1990 live concert video (Live at the Dome) on CD as well, sometimes in combination with some of the tracks listed above. I expect many more similar releases to follow! :)

I am still hoping that one day they will release the 4 sides of Glen's two singles on Energy records, which were produced by Howard Kruger, on CD:

If You Were My Lady
It's One to Grow On
Believe It or Not

BTW, "If You Were My Lady" and "It's One to Grow On" have actually been released on CD once, but the sound is not that great. They are on "The Best of Glen Campbell Live", a 1994 release on Fat Boy records.

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...