Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Glen Campbell Discography

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Dee

Re: Glen Campbell Discography

Post by Dee »

Robduloc, you rock our world, too.
You write like a poet. You are a poet.
Thank you for all of your kind words, too.

Rickv404, thank you for posting about "Colleen". This is such a beautiful love song, and it has oddly been long overlooked in Glen's songbook -- same with Blue Sky Shining (do you prefer the earlier version or the later one?).

The "Pure Platinum" 2 CD set that I have in my collection looks like this:
GC_Pure Platinum 2 CD's.JPG
GC_Pure Platinum 2 CD's.JPG (30.37 KiB) Viewed 6963 times
Copyright 2003, Platinum Disc Corporation

"All New Studio Recordings"

Tracks:

Disc One - SOUTHERN NIGHTS
1. Southern Nights 3:50
2. Gentle On My Mind 2:08
3. Dreams of the Everyday Housewife 2:08
4. Please Come to Boston 3:41
5. Medley: Wichita Linesman/Galveston/Countryboy (sic) 4:25
6. Amazing Grace 4:31
7. It's Only Make Believe 2:35
8. I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry 3:34
9. Rollin' (In My Sweet Bab's Arms) 3:23
10. Try a Little Tenderness 2:20

Disc Two - RHINESTONE COWBOY
1. Rhinestone Cowboy 2:59
2. By The time I Get To Phoenix 2:46
3. You Don't have to Say You Love Me 2:37
4. Bridge Over Troubled Water 4:38
5. Without You 3:06
6. You'll Never Walk Alone 2:45
7. The Impossible Dream 2:39
8. Feelings 3:42
9. Blue Sky Shining 2:36
10. Young at Heart 2:56

This "Pure Platinum 2 CDs Glen Campbell" set doesn't match up with the info below. What exactly is this set? "All New Studio Recordings" is on the back cover. Help!

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

Thank you, Elusive Butterfly, what a beautiful thing to say, I am moved.

I got to hear "Colleen" last night thanks to Dee's link.

As a record collector it's very important for me to find these sessions or previously unreleased tracks, and put them in a time frame, when everything was changing in the 70's.

COLLEEN, DIDN'T WE, ALL THE WAY, BLUE SKY SHINING, YOUNG AT HEART

Songs that capture what it would be like to find yourself at head or dead relationship where needs are no longer being met, looking out a window knowing that you have a lot to give, if you can be brave and take that first step out the door, only to be embraced by the world, and meet your destiny face to face in the flesh.

We've all seen couples like that, sitting side by side at a cafe and watch their fingers slip into each other's hand like warm butter, hard to forget or shake off, obviously a couple where two are joined as one, thoughts will turn to them over time, whatever happened to that pairing.

A life cycle lesson.

All obstructions removed as needs are met like a gentle creek and gushing river.

Glen Campbell and his friends and family can be proud of the work he performed and recorded with Nelson Riddle, the songs and arrangements open us up to something bigger and broader when everything we have worked toward has paid off and everything around us shines and glistens in the sun or moonlight.

Quite a revelation, we belong to one another.

We are where we're met to be.

Side by side in love forever young at heart.

I love the I'll Be Me Documentary and the picture in the I'll Be Me Soundtrack liner notes, when Campbell slips his arms around his wife, he pulls his arms around her all the way.

Safe in each other's embrace, a lifetime of giving and loving.

I am so proud of the work Kim has done and want to thank the Campbell family and the Glen Campbell forum for all that you have done for me.

Ghost On The Canvas is my number one favorite album of all time, every fleeting moment is filled with emotion, power and grandeur, I can't picture what my world would be like right now if the album had never been released or my family never got to see the Farewell Tour.

The lasting legacy grows, memories rich and warmer with each passing moment.

A True Love~

Everyone, have a wonderful weekend.

You Rock My World!

Elusive Butterfly

Post by Elusive Butterfly »

I agree so much with you robduloc. "Basic" is a brilliant album. And "Blue Sky Shining" and " Colleen" are among my favourites. Blue sky is so soothing and beautiful. I can't hear enough times. Thank you for bringing these treasures up a
again.

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

Tonight, I got to sit down and click onto the link here and listen for the first time, Learning The Blues and Didn't We, and hear Blue Sky Shining again, thank you so much, beautiful songs and arrangements, good job tracking them down!

Dee

Post by Dee »

"Colleen":

"Blue Sky Shining":

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

Is there a place where I can find Colleen?

Basic is one of my favorite Glen Campbell albums.

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

Dee found and shared the link for Blue Sky Shining from the Wichita Lineman sessions.

It should not have been an ultra rarity, the perfect arrangement and production to herald the Great American Songbook.

The ending is especially lovely, the overall feel or mood that at the end of the day love is attainable and not something that lies on the distant horizon, and that every man and woman should feel their home a castle and live happily ever after.

For Glen Campbell, contributing songwriter Mickey Newbury and all their listeners... I highly recommend that everyone seek this song out and take it for a listen.

Blue Sky Shining one of my favorite Glen Campbell songs right now.

Thank you, for all your hunting.

rickv404

Post by rickv404 »

"Colleen" is a great song. Written by Michael Smotherman, I believe. It should have been on an album. I think it may have been recorded for "Basic".

Dee

Post by Dee »

Here ya go, Rob.... an earlier post that discusses this Pure Platinum album and the two songs you identified as rare (as well as other albums with rarities):

Post by Cowpoke » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:50 pm
Okay, I found some more information in the archived versions of the old forum, in a post by Hair!

Hair
Username: Hair

Post Number: 164
Posted on Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 10:40 pm:

Regarding the sessions Glen did in the mid-to-late 1990's for a British TV offer album, which eventually came out as the 2-CD "My Hits and Love Songs" set on EMI in 1999, previously unreleased tracks from those sessions keep sneaking out.

The first of these extra tracks appeared on the 2001 2-CD set "Pure Platinum" (Platinum), which paired the 1981 UK live album on disc 1 with a compilation of the "Love Songs" sessions on disc 2. These newly discovered tracks were "Young at Heart" plus re-recordings of "Rhinestone Cowboy", "By the Time I Get to Phoenix", and "Blue Sky Shining".

Then in 2003 came a similar 2-CD set, "Rhinestone Cowboy" (Direct Source), which brought us the previously unreleased "Love Songs" tracks "Colleen" and "Pretend".

Now in 2004 is another "Love Songs" sessions compilation called "Rhinestone Cowboy" (MasterSong), on which there are more previously unreleased tracks, re-recordings of "All the Way", "Didn't We", and "Learning the Blues".

Somewhere out there is one more track from those sessions, a re-recording of "Try a Little Kindness", but I don't know what disc it's on. This brings the total of "Love Songs" tracks up to 28! I wonder how many more there are? Keep monitoring those budget CD packages to see if there are more...

http://web.archive.org/web/200410160811 ... 1096494556" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So... "Didn't We" was first released on Rhinestone Cowboy, New Studio Recordings. "By the Time I Get to Phoenix" was already released in 2001 on "Pure Platinum".

Note that unlike Hair, I don't think these recordings are previously unreleased tracks from the Love Songs sessions. I think they were recorded earlier, somewhere in the 80s. But, I cannot prove it. I am still looking for more information about these mysterious tracks!

Thanks Hair, for keeping track of these releases back then!

--Cowpoke

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

Blue Sky Shinin'
Young At Heart

I found these songs on a double compact disc for sale called Glen Campbell Pure Platinum, by the look of things the CD may have been released in 2003.

The instant I saw these, I knew that they must be ultra rare.

Does anyone know about them?

They are the last couple tracks on disc 2.

Thank you

Rob