Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Glen Campbell Discography

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
robduloc

Re: Your Stories and Memories about Glen

Post by robduloc »

Glen Campbell I'll Be Me OST

Track 03
REMEMBERING l
(Ashley Campbell/Kai Welch)

Track 09
HOME AGAIN
(Jessie D. Hodges/Larry Rintye)

Dee

Re: Glen Campbell Discography

Post by Dee »

Oh, okay, thanks Cowpoke.
I wish this album would be released as a two-CD set! I have not heard all of the tracks on this album.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Yes that is Glen's own version of Tequila which he recorded for The Artistry of Glen Campbell.

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Dee

Post by Dee »

Thank you, Cowpoke and Hair!
Much appreciated! :)

# # #

New question:

Glen had shared with fans (and some publications, I believe) that he did not play or sing on The Champs' "Tequila".

Do we know why "Tequila" was included on volume three of "The Essential Glen Campbell" album?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Essent ... lume_Three" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is this a different version than The Champs' standard / original "Tequila" recording?

Thanks!

Dee

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Okay, I found some more information in the archived versions of the old forum, in a post by Hair!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hair
Username: Hair

Post Number: 164
Posted on Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 10:40 pm:
Regarding the sessions Glen did in the mid-to-late 1990's for a British TV offer album, which eventually came out as the 2-CD "My Hits and Love Songs" set on EMI in 1999, previously unreleased tracks from those sessions keep sneaking out.

The first of these extra tracks appeared on the 2001 2-CD set "Pure Platinum" (Platinum), which paired the 1981 UK live album on disc 1 with a compilation of the "Love Songs" sessions on disc 2. These newly discovered tracks were "Young at Heart" plus re-recordings of "Rhinestone Cowboy", "By the Time I Get to Phoenix", and "Blue Sky Shining".

Then in 2003 came a similar 2-CD set, "Rhinestone Cowboy" (Direct Source), which brought us the previously unreleased "Love Songs" tracks "Colleen" and "Pretend".

Now in 2004 is another "Love Songs" sessions compilation called "Rhinestone Cowboy" (MasterSong), on which there are more previously unreleased tracks, re-recordings of "All the Way", "Didn't We", and "Learning the Blues".

Somewhere out there is one more track from those sessions, a re-recording of "Try a Little Kindness", but I don't know what disc it's on. This brings the total of "Love Songs" tracks up to 28! I wonder how many more there are? Keep monitoring those budget CD packages to see if there are more...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://web.archive.org/web/200410160811 ... 1096494556" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So... "Didn't We" was first released on Rhinestone Cowboy, New Studio Recordings. "By the Time I Get to Phoenix" was already released in 2001 on "Pure Platinum".

Note that unlike Hair, I don't think these recordings are previously unreleased tracks from the Love Songs sessions. I think they were recorded earlier, somewhere in the 80s. But, I cannot prove it. I am still looking for more information about these mysterious tracks!

Thanks Hair, for keeping track of these releases back then!

Dee

Post by Dee »

Thanks so much, Cowpoke!

So, DIDN'T WE was never released on a studio album -- just on this compilation? It hardly seems possible (and I'm certain you are right).
Then, this compilation album (pictured below) is especially significant -- in addition to the other unreleased, unsourced recordings on it!

It's a difficult album to find, at least it was for me. I only recently bought a used one. Thanks again!
Glen_Campbell_Rhinestone_Cowboy_(New_Studio_Recordings)_album_cover.jpg
Glen_Campbell_Rhinestone_Cowboy_(New_Studio_Recordings)_album_cover.jpg (21 KiB) Viewed 7385 times

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Erik, Dee, this is the first release that contained both (these versions of) Didn't We and By the Time I Get to Phoenix that I am aware of.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhineston ... ordings%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This release is from 2004.

However, it's possible there was a release before that, that I am not aware of (yet).

Dee

Re: Glen Campbell Discography: "Didn't We"

Post by Dee »

Questions from Erik the Dane about "Didn't We" written by Jimmy Webb and sung by Glen Campbell:

Did Glen Campbell `first put out' this song around 2005?

Regarding the studio version:

Looks LIKE it WAS ONLY OUT on a `cheap issue` – NOT on a ´regular issue´.

When was this STUDIO VERSION first out?

And what was the `ORIGINAL ISSUE ` (title) we can find this track on?

ALSO have “Phoenix” included on my EURO issue from 2005 also with album title `By the time I get to Phoenix`.

Many thanks in advance from Erik!

Dee

Dee

Post by Dee »

"Sesame Country"
CTW 89003
Produced by Sesame Street Records in co-operation with Children's Television Workshop ("CTW") and
Dennis Scott who is also credited for the musical arrangements
Engineering by Travis Turk, The Soundshop, Nashville; Frank Laico, CBS Recording Studios, New York; and David Hunt, The Music Centre, London

On track 4, Glen performs "Keep on Smilin'" with Oscar the Grouch.
Song written by "Vanda-Young" (Harry Vanda & George Young who were members of the 1960's Australian rock group, The Easybeats)
Glen appears on this album courtesy of Capitol Records. Glen did not play guitar on this recording--or, at least, he is not identified as one of the musicians.

Other artists and songs include:
Crystal Gayle with Big Bird on "Songs"
Loretta Lynn with The Count on "Count on Me"
Tanya Tucker with Big Bird on "You'll Never Take the Texas Out of Me"
...as well as other songs sung by The Muppets

The vinyl album came with an album size poster. Only The Muppets are pictured on this poster as well as on the front and back covers.

Dee

Post by Dee »

Thanks, Siblis. I agree...the lyrics are sad...for me, perhaps for you also, this song is a reminder of our mortality and to do what good we can, now, because this is our only chance to do so.

I was thinking about starting a topic about Glen's last song; of the songs he has recorded up to I'm Not Gonna Miss You, which song or songs would we consider an appropriate "last song"?