Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Glen Campbell Discography

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Mike Joyce

Re: Glen Campbell Discography

Post by Mike Joyce »

I have this album Dee, bought it many years ago. As I recall Glen didn't play on this album. If he had done so, he would have been credited without doubt. I would imagine the cost to include Glen would have been too high at that time. Lending his name and image would have also had a price tag attached I am sure. Glen was surely far too busy to be involved directly with the project, given his own commitments with the Good time show, tours and his own album productions.
Still it was a good album, but I doubt it would have appealed to many outside of the bluegrass persuasion.

Dee

Post by Dee »

Available on Take's Bluegrass Album Channel, "Takehiko Saiki", on YouTube is the album "Glen Campbell Presents Larry McNeely [1971] - Glen Campbell & Larry McNeely". Capitol ST-674
(If you are into bluegrass music, check out this channel specializing in providing world-wide access to bluegrass albums not available on CD or digitally.) The album was produced for GLENCO PRODUCTIONS to kickoff Larry's solo career.

Arlw, Rob, Cowpoke, does this album belong under Glen Campbell's sessionography? Did he play guitar on this album? Take lists Glen as one of the musicians. This info is not in the LP's liner notes.

Below is the album shared from YouTube as well as two scans of the shrink-wrapped LP's back cover: the complete liner notes including a testimonial from Glen Campbell and a closeup of the photos with "Larry with what's his name" and Larry and Dennis McCarthy who arranged and conducted this album. Glen's testimonial reveals when he first "ran into" Larry McNeely and that it was Glen's idea to hire Larry for the Goodtime Hour concert segment.

[Below, click on each image once to enlarge viewing window.]

CLOSE-UP OF PHOTOS:
Glen Campbell Presents Larry McNeely_closeup_with GC and also Dennis McCarthy.jpg
Glen Campbell Presents Larry McNeely_closeup_with GC and also Dennis McCarthy.jpg (379.71 KiB) Viewed 6864 times

Dee

Post by Dee »

Time is the issue, Cowpoke. :(
But so far, I have at least uncovered two different perspectives of this song:
One reviewer refers to Glen's cover of Long Black Limousine as a "funeral dirge", in other words, appropriate for a performance at a funeral.
Another reviewer felt that Glen sang it like a "hymn", a prayerful song.
I just remember when I heard it for the first time as a child, I thought the words were a bit reproachful: "you finally got your dream, you're riding in a long black limousine."
Like...this is what you get for being a party girl. And now you broke my heart.
lol

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Well Dee, that's what your turntable is for isn't it. Playing old 45s and 33s! I understand it's quite time consuming though... :)

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Dee

Re: New DVD / CD Releases

Post by Dee »

I trust all is well now, Ar. Thank you for this information.

Perhaps "Son of Flintstone" / KOA / robduloc can help us out here. This is a much bigger project than I had first expected.

Dee

arlw

Post by arlw »

Let me chime in here before the storms hit this area!! I see all the talk on Big Bluegrass Special and others-hope this helps--there were MANY TAKES on this CD/45rpm/LP and ALL other recordings that affect the time: Interesting info!

The Green River Boys & Glen Campbell ‎– Big Bluegrass Special
Label:
Capitol Records ‎– ST 1810
Format:
Vinyl, LP, Album, Stereo

US
Released:
Genre:
Folk, World, & Country
Style:
Bluegrass

Track list .

A1 Truck Driving Man
A2 There's More Pretty Girls Than One
A3 Weary Lonesome Blues
A4 No Vacancy
A5 Rainin' On The Mountain
A6 Kentucky Means Paradise
B1 Brown's Ferry Blues
B2 Lonesome Jailhouse Blues
B3 One Hundred Miles Away From Home
B4 This Old White Mule Of Mine
B5 Poor Boy Lookin' For A Home
B6 Long Black Limousine

Credits

Featuring – Glen Campbell
Liner Notes – Don Buday
Photography [Cover] – Jerry White
Producer – Nick Venet

Other Versions (5 of 5) View All

Title (Format)
Label
Cat#
Country
Year

Big Bluegrass Special ‎(LP, Mono, Album) Capitol Records T1810 US 1962

Big Bluegrass Special ‎(CD, Album) Capitol Records 7243-8-52038-2-4 US 1996

Big Bluegrass Special ‎(CD, Album, Club, RE, RM) Capitol Nashville, Capitol Nashville CDP 552038, 7243-8-52038-2-4 US 1996

Big Bluegrass Special ‎(LP, Album) Capitol Records SENC 9531 Australia 1962

Big Bluegrass Special ‎(LP, Album, Mono) Capitol Records T1810 Canada Unknown

Dee

Post by Dee »

Yes, isn't this interesting, Cowpoke!
So, now I need to dust off and rev up the turntable, then take a listen to each record.
Also, which version did the 1996 CD reissue of Big Bluegrass Special use?

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Thanks Dee. Very interesting. To me this is a subject that has still to be researched: differences between single and album versions.Can you elaborate on the difference here? Is it just an earlier fade out, or a different cut, or even a different take?

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Dee

Post by Dee »

Cowpoke wrote on Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:40 am:
Just to be sure: there are two albums that contain different versions of Long Black Limousine: Big Bluegrass Special and Too Late To Worry, Too Blue To Cry. Whether there is a difference between the single version and Too Late To Worry, Too Blue To Cry album version I don't know.
Cowpoke, the Long Black Limousine single (Capitol 4856) is 2:40 minutes in length.

On the LP, Big Bluegrass Special (T-1810), "Limousine" is 3.00 minutes.

On the LP, Too Late To Worry, Too Blue To Cry (ST 1881), "Limousine" is 2:15 minutes.

The new compilation Ballads and Bluegrass on the Not Now Music label is 2:59 minutes.

[The entire compilation's audio: not so great imo. Doesn't compare to the original vinyl releases.]

Dee

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

I went back to page 1 of this thread and studied the list from the old forum by Hair that Cowpoke manage to find and pull up.

Hair's post is very important, the list clearly shows what albums and year 7+ ultra rare Glen Campbell tracks first appeared.

2 CD set "Pure Platinum"
(Platinum)

BLUE SKY SHINING
YOUNG AT HEART
Re-recordings:
By Time I Get To Phoenix
Rhinestone Cowboy

2 CD set "Rhinestone Cowboy"
(Direct Source)

COLLEEN
PRETEND

"Rhinestone Cowboy"
(Master Song)

ALL THE WAY
DIDN'T WE
LEARNING THE BLUES

When a recording is pulled from the vaults and released for the first time it truly marks its' official birth date, I am so fortunate to own these songs and know which albums and labels they first appeared.

Thank you, everybody.