Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Check Out This Link - Glen Campbell News on the Web

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Dee

Re: Check Out This Link

Post by Dee »

The Electric 12 by The Bandits:
That's a very rare album, Randy! Thanks for finding that "electrifying" track on YouTube!
I just did a quick ebay search and couldn't find the LP listed. (just found lots of electric light bulbs for sale if anyone is interested...lol) :idea:
The last time I saw this LP on ebay I believe the selling price was between $125-$149.
Not bad for a record made by Glen Campbell and other session musicians during their "spare time"!
Thanks again for sharing this track for us to listen to!
Dee

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Thanks Randy. Yes I do know that album. But it's nice to hear those instrumental tracks by The Bandits again!

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
BobbieG

Post by BobbieG »

This is the last photo we fans have of Ms. Bobbie Gentry, probably taken in 2000 at her home.
We believe Bobbie is with her half brother, that would be Mr. Robert Streeter.
Bobbie Gentry_photo_last seen photo by fans.jpg
Bobbie Gentry_photo_last seen photo by fans.jpg (338.56 KiB) Viewed 5232 times
Dee, thanx for helping me with this photo insert. BG

BobbieG

Post by BobbieG »

Putting up two links to articles from "2012".
Thought all your Glen Campbell fans would like to read about how Mr. Campbell helped give Bobbie Gentry's career a boost,,,,

http://www.examiner.com/article/ode-to- ... elta-queen" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.examiner.com/article/bobbie- ... saw-county" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Randy

Post by Randy »

Cowpoke have you seen this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=21&v=yi6cFfmvlsg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And here's a related link where someone lists the band members....

http://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/ ... ectric_12/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

The promo is usually (if not always) the same recording as the released version. If this is not the case here, then it's really a rarity!

So the timeline is:
Glen heard Johnny Rivers version, then he also played on Pat Boone's version, then he recorded his own version, then he played on Wanda Jackson's version! LOL.

Glen did studio work up until the Goodtime Hour started in January 1969. Before that, he continued to do session work. Glen's New Year's resolution for 1969 was to work on Glen Campbell recordings, not other people's recordings. Of course, he still did some studio work after that, but it was sporadic and often in the role of "guest star" (Merle Haggard, Ray Charles) not as anonymous studio musician.

Dee

Post by Dee »

This is curious, arlw. I love it!

So, the promo was recorded at a different session? (without Glen Campbell?)

Under "P-2085" on the label of the 45 pic posted below is the same master (?) number 58856?

Was it common or unusual for promos to be different recordings (or maybe a different soundtrack mix) than the record released to the public?

How amazing is it that Glen Campbell was on the session for the 45 that was released?
This would mean that he had heard or found Johnny Rivers' version on one of Rivers' albums in 1965.
Glen worked on the session for the Wanda Jackson recording of a response to "Phoenix".
Then Glen released "Phoenix" in late 1967 on his own album.
But, I must have this info wrong because Jackson released her single, "By The Time You Get To Phoenix" in 1968. Therefore, if she released her "response" song in 1968, then Glen Campbell was still doing session work in 1968? Also, Jackson's "response" song could have been in response to the hit that Glen had with this "Jim" Webb song in late '67, early '68? It wasn't a 'response" to Johnny Rivers' version.

arlw

Post by arlw »

Interesting 45 on WANDA JACKSON: I have this one and GLEN is on this!

[b]By The Time You Get To Phoenix / Wishing Well - #2085 Capitol Records on the original yellow/orange swirl label—Wanda Jackson and the Party Timers-Written by Bill Graham and Jim Webb-Johnny Rivers Music. Produced by Ken Nelson. This 45 is from early to mid-60’s time frame and Glen Campbell is on guitar doing studio session work. Most likely part of “The Wrecking Crew”. The correction of the Jim Webb song is “By The Time I Get To Phoenix.” (45-58857/45-58856.) This Capitol release by Wanda Jackson is housed in the original Capitol sleeve. Another rare original find with Glen Campbell on guitar[/b

The one posted that is the PROMO--Glen Campbell isn't on that one--I would have bought that as well but wanted the one with GC.....

Dee

Post by Dee »

Thanks for noting RC's #1 anniversary, Cowpoke.

This just in for yesterday's music history from the Denver Examiner (CO) - September 6, 2015
Glen Campbell started at two-week run at No.1 on the US singles music chart in 1975 with "Rhinestone Cowboy", his first No.1 after 13 Top 40 hits. The record gained three Grammy nominations and was the Country Music Association's Song of the Year for 1976. The song was written by Larry Weiss and included instrumental backing by Los Angeles session musicians later known as The Wrecking Crew. When the song was given to Campbell, he put so much passion into the recording that Capitol Records knew it would be a hit. The song spent the summer of 1975 climbing the charts and stayed at the top of both the Billboard Hot Country and Billboard Hot 100 for three consecutive weeks.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

40 years ago today, Rhinestone Cowboy was number 1 on the Billboard charts.

http://retronewser.com/2015/09/rhinesto ... ep-6-1975/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;