Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Check Out This Link - Glen Campbell News on the Web

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Dee

Re: Check Out This Link

Post by Dee »

Glen stated in his autobiography and interviews over the years that "Rhinestone Cowboy", the song, was his story. After the first listen, he identified with it immediately, especially the line about compromising.
It is a very philosophical, spiritual song when you dig deeper into the meaning behind the lyrics, and I enjoyed reading the posted link (below) from a website of a US Buddhist monastery. Thanks for that, Cowpoke.

Here's what Larry Weiss, the songwriter of RC, had to say about this song to Gaynor Paynter. shared in her blog from December 20, 2014:
Paynter: “THERE’S BEEN A LOAD OF COMPRIMISIN’ ON THE ROAD TO MY HORIZON” – that’s a magic line in a magic song! I think anyone on earth can relate to this. Was this based on something you were or had been going through at the time?

Weiss: The answer to that was in the second verse, ‘there’ll BE a load of compromising on the road to my horizon’. That philosophy was the reason Glen recorded the song. Sure he recognized the commercial viability of the chorus, but it was the power of those lines that mattered most to him. Actually, I had the whole song written excluding that last line change. It took me some months to arrive at it. Sometimes us writers just download a bunch of stuff, some mental..some spiritual..it’s the spiritual that make the difference.
I think that this is what Jane Roos recognized in her monastery blog: "It's the spiritual that make(s) the difference" in this song. It certainly has universal truths that speak to millions of listeners, not just Glen Campbell fans. Sort of like..."I'll Be Me".

Read more from this interview with Larry Weiss at http://popspeaking.blogspot.com/2014/12 ... -boss.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

# # #

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Interesting comment Mike. You're right, Rhinestone Cowboy, the original version, is actually much more subtle than people think it is. When I sing the song myself, it automatically becomes a sing-a-long song, because of the melody of the chorus I think. It takes a singer of Glen's class to bring out the deeper layers of this song while avoiding the more schmaltzier (is that a word?) side of it.

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Interesting article Cowpoke, I have said before on the old forum that I consider Rhinestone Cowboy a melancholy song and I think Glen puts that over well on the original record. The live versions have become a sing along affair which is fine but sometimes I like to hear the deeper message from the original recording which I think Glen does beautifully.
I must say the author made some great points but I felt Jane was reviewing the song a bit like it was a book. The song was never intended to explain anything about the human condition and it's causes, it could only tell the story of one man's struggles in his life within the confines of a 3 minute record, which it does exceptionally well. Still its great to see the influence Glen and his music has had on people from so many different walks of life, me included.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Article about life, the universe and ... "Rhinestone Cowboy" on the website of a US Buddhist monastery.

http://sravasti.org/articles/jan15dream.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dee

Post by Dee »

Thanks for that link to the article about Al Caiola and the tribute to Django Reinhardt.
I think that most musicians must be six degrees of Glen Campbell!
Dee

siblis

Post by siblis »

Sounds of the Ponderosa: Al Caiola with Frank Vignola at Chatham guitar summit

http://morristowngreen.com/2015/01/14/s ... ar-summit/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dee

Post by Dee »

Perspectives: Increasing our personal candlepower

The author of this article writes about the meaning of "Wichita Lineman" in her life and her daughter's and "how the seemingly inconsequential things often have more lasting impact than we might imagine." I think we can all relate to this story in terms of the influence of one or more GC songs in our lives.

See: http://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/archiv ... LP_lnuLhWA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dee

Post by Dee »

I know what you mean, Randy...no money for movies back then. :cry:
Going to the movies for me as a kid was a once-a-year type of thing.
I did see True Grit in the theater and remember being really upset when Glen's character died.
At least you were able to watch the Goodtime Hour regularly!
Wow...I do not remember seeing this True Grit footage that you had posted previously, Randy. It's fantastic to watch...at that time, Glen definitely hadn't known (how could he) that True Grit was going to become an iconic film.
Why was Little Rock chosen for the world premiere of True Grit? Was this movie filmed in Arkansas?
I've never seen Charles Portis talk on film.
Great find, Randy.
Thanks for finding Randy's original post, Cowpoke.
Dee

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Thanks for reminding me Randy. Look what I found in the forum archives...

Posted on Friday, April 19, 2013 - 03:32 am: Edit Post Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)
From the Archives - 1969: Glen Campbell attends the Arkansas premiere of True Grit

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10 ... =2&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

source: Pryor Center for Arkansas Oral and Visual History

Randy

Post by Randy »

Think I was probly like 13 at the time an no money for movies then. :(
Later tho, I went to a few there, maybe even Titanic. At that time I did watch the GC goodtime hour on a regular basis. :)

Think I may have even posted a link about the Cinema 150 on the old forum.