Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Discussion of the Week: Favorite Song Before He Got Famous

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Cowpoke

Re: Discussion of the Week: Favorite Song Before He Got Famo

Post by Cowpoke »

Great choices Mike. "I'll Hold You In My Heart", I will check that one again, haven't heard it in a while.

Private John Q of course was the follow-up to Universal Soldier, with a similar subject. Would you call it a anti-war song?

Trivia question: which good friend of Glen wrote that song? :)

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

I just love "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in in arms" As Dee mentions , you can hear the crying in his voice . Such a tender rendition of a song and a sign of the quality of the songs to come like Phoenix, Wichita etc.As a more lively tune, Private John Q. I first heard this on the album I'll paint you a song. I have loved it ever since.It reminds me of the the repo man from "Norwood". They must be great to play live I would think.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

5 octaves? Really? Wow, that is remarkable. Can you help me by pointing out the highest and lowest note in that song? By the way, great choice. Glen really lets out his inner Roy Orbison in that song. By 1967 Glen still had that song in his live setlist, probably because it did just that, show off his amazing vocal abilities. Thanks!

Dee

Post by Dee »

Randy has raised the bar high! :)

How about "Tomorrow Never Comes"? Glen's vocal range is up and down 5 octaves in this song.
It is also an example of Glen "crying" a song. <<goosebumps!!!!>>

Also, this Jerry Fuller-penned song, "Prima Donna"? Early sixties teen pop. Dreamy....

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Randy, that is still a wonderful song. And then to think that Glen co-wrote it and it impressed Jimmy Webb so much that he wanted to become a songwriter and work with Glen.
Great choice. Thanks!

Randy

Post by Randy »

Cowpoke, I'm going with "Turn around look at me"

Cowpoke

Discussion of the Week: Favorite Song Before He Got Famous

Post by Cowpoke »

Hi all,
what I really would like to know is.... what is your favorite song recorded by Glen before he got famous? "Gentle on My Mind" might have been Glen's breakthrough song but before that he already had 5 albums and a staggering 22 singles under his belt! If you need a reminder, take a look here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glen_Campbell_discography" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And then we have not even mentioned all the music Glen made as The Folkswingers, The In Group, The Sidewalk Swingers, The Bandits (which Randy recently mentioned), the Gene Norman Group (with Jay's favorite album Dylan Jazz) and of course The Trophies and The Fleas.

My choice is an obscure one but boy do I love Glen's performance of this old Ray Price song: "You Took Her Off My Hands" recorded live in 1963.

He sure sings purdy! :)