Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

French Foreign Legion loves GC

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Mike Joyce

Re: French Foreign Legion loves GC

Post by Mike Joyce »

Very good Cowpoke. I saw what you did there. LOL

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Thanks Kanaloa. I love to read stories like this. How Glen has touched the lives of so many. He will always be around, and around... :)

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

What a fantastic experience Kanaloa, That is the kind of thing that could make you long for home.
Thanks for sharing that great story, I am sure they really enjoyed the extra beer.

Kanaloa

French Foreign Legion loves GC

Post by Kanaloa »

So a few years ago I was in Djibouti Africa. Downtown Djibouti looks like a photo out of the late 1800s. The buildings, the people, the streets, the smells. The region is not so stable and the French Foreign Legion has a relatively small contingent nearby, as do the Americans. About 3:00 in the afternoon I met with a port director in a small pub in the middle of downtown in one of these run down historic buildings. We were there to discuss some business and it's a good place to meet at that time of day (because it's empty). So as we were talking, I realized some GC songs kept playing on the jute box, over and over. I turned around and looked to the rear of the building where the old wood bar was located. I saw about 8 Legionnaires wearing white shorts, white shirts and white hats bellied up to the bar (no other patrons were in the bar) and drinking beer. They were laughing and having a good time. I don't know what they were saying, as I don't speak their language. They kept singing Galveston and Witchita Lineman over again. Not sure what accent they were using, but it was entertaining. I thought to myself, this is odd. I'm thousands of miles from home in a foreign country in Africa, in a town straight out of a Humphrey Bogart movie, and I'm watching the FFL singing. And they were singing the same songs my mother and I sung together when I was a tot. So I did what any red blooded American would do...I bought them another beer. Thanks Glen Campbell for the great memories! And know that you still entertain young folks around the world.