How Do You Spell...Glen Campbell?

* REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL * 2017 CMA WIN! * PINTEREST * AND MORE

Re: How Do You Spell...Glen Campbell?

Postby admin » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:20 am

A Glen Campbell compilation "Country Boy's Hits" on CD was released in 2016.
Check out the second photo below of this CD's title strip viewable from the side of the jewel case.

Glen Campbell Country Boy's Hits_2016.jpg
Glen Campbell Country Boy's Hits_2016.jpg (52.13 KiB) Viewed 111 times

CC.JPG
CC.JPG (76.12 KiB) Viewed 111 times

"CLeN CaMPeLL"
admin
Site Admin

Postby Dee » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:21 pm

Another Capitol Records ad misprint:

This misspelling was printed in a published ad (possibly in Billboard) promoting Glen Campbell's "Southern Nights" single released on January 17, 1977, which would have been 15 years after Glen had first signed with the Capitol label.

The single was released from Glen's 1977 'Southern Nights' album and was indeed a "smash" hit, reaching No. 1 on three separate U.S. charts.

GC_Misspelled_Southern Nights_Captiol Records Ad-gcf.jpg
GC_Misspelled_Southern Nights_Captiol Records Ad-gcf.jpg (231.67 KiB) Viewed 171 times

(Photo source: e bay.)
New to Glen Campbell Forums? When you reach the bottom of this page, click on the next page number ------>
Dee
Site Admin

Postby Cowpoke » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:23 am

What about this typo... is this a rare one Arlw?

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Cowpoke

Postby Randy » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:41 am

My opinion on the census is the correct spelling is by a family member and the incorrect is by a census worker but don't know for sure of course
Randy

Postby arlw » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:14 pm

Dee,
On the Crest recording with Campbell spelled wrong, they released several hundred only and then caught in and fixed it with another release! On that poster with the 2 N's, I also have that one hanging in my den. They left that one alone! Both are very rare, especially the CREST 45.....
ar
arlw

How Do You Spell...Glen Campbell?

Postby Dee » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:06 pm

A new feature!
How do you spell Glen Campbell's name?
Glen's name seems to be an easy one to spell, right? G-L-E-N C-A-M-P-B-E-L-L
Well, maybe not. In fact, I have seen Glen's first name spelled two different ways: with one "N" or two "N's".
Take a look at this snapshot of the U.S. Census Report recorded in Pike County, Arkansas in 1940 when Glen was only four years old.
Glen's name appears twice in the report: first spelled as "Glen" and then as "Glenn":

[Click once on each image below to enlarge viewing window.]

1940 Census Report_Pike County_Glen and family.jpg
1940 Census Report_Pike County_Glen and family.jpg (150.17 KiB) Viewed 614 times

At times, I believe that Glen may have preferred using "Glenn" (as a stage name?) because this double N spelling was not unusual to see in ads for his appearances in the early days of his career.
In this 1965 ad, Capitol Records spelled Glen's name with two "N's":

Campbell_Capitol Records Ad_Universal Soldier_1965_GCF.jpg
Campbell_Capitol Records Ad_Universal Soldier_1965_GCF.jpg (38.86 KiB) Viewed 614 times

Hmmm....

Well, onward to Glen's last name! Following are a few examples of how "Campbell" was spelled or, rather, misspelled on items from time to time during his career.
These examples are fun to see (but probably not so much for GC!). :(

Glen Campbell's first single was "Turn Around, Look at Me" released in 1961.
It appears that there was a printing error on this record's label at some point in its production!
arlw, is this label rare or did a lot of these labels get out before the error was discovered?

Turn Around Look at Me_with Campbell misspelled on label_GCF.jpg
Turn Around Look at Me_with Campbell misspelled on label_GCF.jpg (36.21 KiB) Viewed 614 times

This is a double CD set produced and distributed in 2008 with a different take on "Campbell":

Legends in Music_Glen Cambell_front of CD.jpg
Legends in Music_Glen Cambell_front of CD.jpg (82.94 KiB) Viewed 614 times

Legends in Music_Glen Cambell_back of CD.jpg
Legends in Music_Glen Cambell_back of CD.jpg (74.14 KiB) Viewed 614 times

More pictures to come! Also, if you would like to add to this post and need help uploading your pictures, just PM me. Thanks!

Dee
New to Glen Campbell Forums? When you reach the bottom of this page, click on the next page number ------>
Dee
Site Admin

Return to All Things Glen