Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

I'll Be Me Soundtrack WINS GRAMMY! 4 pages of posts!

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Dee

Re: I'll Be Me Soundtrack is Nominated for a GRAMMY!

Post by Dee »

Hi, fans!

Continuing our pre-GRAMMY Awards posts honoring multi-GRAMMY Award winner GLEN CAMPBELL, do you remember Glen's rousing performance at the 2012 GRAMMYs?

With his music industry peers (including Sir Paul McCartney!) on their feet, clapping, and singing along, Glen performed his iconic hit song "Rhinestone Cowboy".

In a separate ceremony held prior to the awards show, Glen Campbell was awarded the prestigious Lifetime Achievement Award by vote of The Recording Academy's National Trustees.

When asked by CNN how it felt to receive this special merit award, Glen replied,
"I am flattered. I really am. All I wanted to do ever since I could remember was play my guitar and sing."
You can watch the musical tribute to Glen and also his performance of RC at the 2012 GRAMMY Awards event here:
:arrow: https://vimeo.com/97191556" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Some of Glen's Grammys performance was included in "Glen Campbell: I'll Be Me", the doc. Also in the movie, we see Paul McCartney congratulating Glen!!!)

The photo below is one that I took of Glen Campbell's LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD trophy on display at the "Glen Campbell: Rhinestone Cowboy" special exhibition, Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum, 2014. Isn't it a beauty?!
DSC_1157 Lifetime Achievement Award 2012_GCF.jpg
DSC_1157 Lifetime Achievement Award 2012_GCF.jpg (167.48 KiB) Viewed 4641 times

Dee

Post by Dee »

Get ready for the 2016 GRAMMY Awards on Monday, February 15th!

As posted here earlier, the soundtrack "GLEN CAMPBELL: I'LL BE ME" (Various Artists / Julian Raymond, Compilation Producer) is nominated for an award in the category BEST COMPILATION SOUNDTRACK FOR VISUAL MEDIA! (((Go Glen Team Win!)))

Did you know that 47 years ago, Glen Campbell took home the 1968 Album Of The Year GRAMMY Award for BY THE TIME I GET TO PHOENIX (Producer Al De Lory)? The other nominees in this category were Simon & Garfunkel, José Feliciano, Richard Harris, and some group by the name of The Beatles! Pictured here is Glen's golden GRAMMY for the album "By The Time I Get To Phoenix".

Photo from "Glen Campbell: Rhinestone Cowboy" special exhibition, Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum, 2014.
(c) Dee Zink

[Click on image once to enlarge viewing window.]

Dee

Post by Dee »

Getting to Grammy Specifics
Cameron Collegian, The: Cameron University (Lawton, OK)
February 8, 2016
Author/Byline: Jacob Jardel

A Cameron U writer's prediction for "Best Compilation Soundtrack for Visual Media":
“Empire: Season 1,” “Fifty Shades of Grey,” “Glen Campbell: I’ll Be Me,” “Pitch Perfect 2,” “Selma”

All of these soundtracks bring a different flavor to the table. Notably, “Pitch Perfect 2” brings the modern mashup to the forefront while “Empire: Season 1” showcases the talent of the show’s cast.

That said, “Fifty Shades of Grey” is a soundtrack that far surpasses its movie with a great mix of genres and overall fantastic sound.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Grammy for Best Visual Media Compilation: Will Timbaland's 'Empire' reign over Glen Campbell's farewell?

http://www.goldderby.com/news/11621/gra ... 30286.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Dee

Post by Dee »

58 Reasons To Watch The GRAMMYs (Monday, February 15, 2016)
Check out reason #32: http://www.grammy.com/news/58-reasons-t ... he-grammys" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also don't understand the nomination process, Randy. Just thinking aloud.....

Glen Campbell: I'll Be Me (EP) was released September 30, 2014, the last day of the eligibility award period for the 2015 Grammys. Therefore, from a date perspective, the EP was qualified.
It wasn't nominated in any category. Perhaps EP's are not eligible for Grammys? Or it wasn't submitted as a nomination because a full album release was planned for the following year?

"I'm Not Gonna Miss You" (single) must have been released on September 30th, too, maybe earlier? As we know, it won the 2015 Grammy for Best Country Song. This single is the studio version, right?, not the documentary version with The Wrecking Crew.

Also released as a single (same as the EP version?) in 2014 was The Band Perry's cover of "Gentle On My Mind", and it won for Best Country Duo/Group Performance, 2015.

Glen Campbell: I'll Be Me (LP) was released February 17, 2015, which makes it eligible for a 2016 Grammy. The album received a nomination for Best Compilation Soundtrack For Visual Media, 2016.

As you posted, Randy, I'm Not Gonna Miss You didn't receive the nom for Best Song Written for Visual Media. Perhaps because the song was released in 2014, disqualifying it because the same single was entered in a previous year? And/or because the single was not a new, previously unreleased recording? We don't know why.... This category seems fitting, I agree!

Qualification guidelines are different for the category of Best Compilation Soundtrack Album. From the 55th Grammy Awards' "Basic Grammy Guidelines":
The only categories that allow entries not newly recorded are Best Historical Album, Best Compilation Soundtrack Album, Best Surround Sound Album, Best Remixed Recording, Best Recording Package (if package is new), Best Album Notes (if notes are new) and certain multi-disc set releases in the classical Field. Based on these guidelines, the I'll Be Me Soundtrack was eligible for submission for a 2016 award because of the different qualification for best compilation soundtracks.

Ashley Campbell's single, "Remembering", was released June 30, 2015. It didn't receive a 2016 nomination, but it could have received one based on the release date, right? Or would this single have been considered a previously released recording because it was included on the EP and also on the Soundtrack?

I have a feeling that the award for Best Compilation Soundtrack Album, 2016, won't be part of the main event broadcast. The winner may be announced / presented online prior to the live Grammy Awards show -- just like Glen Campbell's award last year for Best Country Song. Lots of fans missed seeing Glen's win and Kim Campbell's acceptance speech with Julian Raymond because we didn't know in advance about the online pre-show. But this year, we will be expecting a pre-show and looking for details to post here!

Randy

Post by Randy »

Sadly in category 60 (BEST SONG WRITTEN FOR VISUAL MEDIA), "I'm not gonna miss you" isn't nominated. Highly doubt I will be watching

Dee

Post by Dee »

That's great news, Cowpoke!

I don't want to get too excited (yet) about this report written by Brandy McDonnell in "The Oklahoman", published in Oklahoma City and dated December 17th, 2015.
Under his news report's headline, "Oklahoma contenders get award nods", Mr. Brandy writes:

"Several contenders with Oklahoma ties will compete for golden gramophones at the 58th annual Grammy Awards."

and

"The Glen Campbell documentary “I'll Be Me,” which features the country music legend performing a new live version of his seminal hit “Wichita Lineman,” written by Elk City native Jimmy Webb, also is nominated for best compilation soundtrack for visual media."

So...is this writer inferring that Jimmy Webb could win a Grammy Award if the I'll Be Me compilation album wins? Or just that Jimmy would have a connection (not an award) to this album if it won?

I did notice that the Grammy website has now updated the BEST COMPILATION SOUNDTRACK FOR VISUAL MEDIA category by adding names and titles for each soundtrack nominee. When the noms were first uploaded to this website, names and titles were not listed. See the latest description below direct from Grammy.com:

[Click on image once to enlarge viewing window.]
2016 Best Compilation Soundrack for Visual Media_Grammy.com.jpg
2016 Best Compilation Soundrack for Visual Media_Grammy.com.jpg (115.07 KiB) Viewed 4794 times

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

According to this article on axs.com, the I'll Be Me soundtrack album has a good chance of winning the Grammy.
The Campbell album already earned an Academy Award nomination for the song "I'm Not Gonna Miss You," and is the strongest record including contributions from The Band Perry and Campbell's daughter Ashley.
http://www.axs.com/evaluating-the-sound ... ward-72217" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dee

Post by Dee »

Well, my feeling is that the decisions or votes for awarding Grammys in this compilation category could be sliced and diced in several different ways.
Still, it looks promising for both Glen Campbell and Julian Raymond to win.

Looking at past winners in this awards category, it appears that primarily songwriters, producers and engineers pick up the Grammys:
http://www.grammy.com/nominees/search?a ... l&genre=76" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

An example of an exception in this Grammy awards list is, interestingly enough, "Walk the Line" from 2006, produced by James Keach. Awards went to:
Joaquin Phoenix, artist
T Bone Burnett, producer
Mike Piersante, engineer/mixer

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Cool. So that really means the Grammy would be awarded to Glen and Julian Raymond if they win. I am keeping my fingers crossed until February 2015!