Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Any Trouble's New Song & Video: "Glen Campbell"

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Randy

Re: Any Trouble's New Song & Video: "Glen Campbell"

Post by Randy »

I second that. By far the best! Btw, try singing along with that one. Not easy, with that quick tempo. So very high vocal marks and outstanding performance/story video to go along with those great lyrics.

Cowpoke

Re: Any Trouble's New Song & Video: "Glen Campbell"

Post by Cowpoke »

I think a lot of us will recognize the sentiment in this song. Great lyrics and thanks Dee for sharing them here, with permission of the author. Thank you Clive Gregson. I have heard a few tribute songs to Glen the last couple of years and this one is the best!

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Dee

Re: New DVD / CD Releases

Post by Dee »

ANY TROUBLE Present Tense-gcf.jpg
ANY TROUBLE Present Tense-gcf.jpg (11.73 KiB) Viewed 6792 times
Great news! Glen Campbell Forums has received exclusive permission to reprint Clive Gregson's beautiful lyrics to "Glen Campbell" performed by Any Trouble on the group's "Present Tense" album released 27 November 2015.

Many thanks to forum member, Randy, who had initially posted about finding the lyrics!

:arrow: NOTE: These lyrics cannot be reproduced, distributed, etc. without appropriate permission--see copyright information below.

# # #

"GLEN CAMPBELL"

With one thing and another, I get all turned around,
Sometimes I hear a symphony in a tiny shred of sound,
Sometimes the notes refuse to fall beneath my fingertips,
And nothing more than idiot wind passes through my lips,
Many’s the occasion I’ve tried to work things out,
The whys and wherefores, wrong and right, what’s it all about?
I’ve been in love and I’ve lived a life wrapped up in six steel strings,
The only time it all makes sense is when I hear Glen Campbell sing…

I’ll never forget the first time I fell under his spell,
The one about the lineman, deep as the darkest well,
Taller than the tallest tale that I have ever heard,
True or not, it hit the spot, I hung on every word,
Voice big as the prairies, wide as the great plains,
Sweet as sweet magnolia, soft as the summer rain,

I don’t know if life’s a journey or a string of accidents,
Can’t say that I stay up at night wondering where the years all went,
Don’t claim to have the answers, don’t even have a clue,
If divine intervention directs everything we do?
Cos it seems to me it’s mostly made up as we go along,
And there are days I’d up and sell my soul for a song,
The only time it all makes sense is when I hear Glen Campbell sing,

Lyrics © Clive Gregson, Gregsongs, admin. By Bug Music / BMG Music Publishing.
Reproduced by kind permission.
Published by Gregsongs
©2015 Gregsongs

# # #

goodtimemattie

Re: Check Out This Link

Post by goodtimemattie »

Here's the actual video from Any Trouble for the song "Glen Campbell"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsWVsbw0hHU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

People don't know they're looking at soul-Ghost on the Canvas
Dee

Post by Dee »

Super links, Randy, thanks for sharing more background information about Any Trouble's new song, "Glen Campbell"!

Randy

Post by Randy »

Along with "Remembering" a greatly written and performed tribute song to her Dad, this song "Glen Campbell" absolutely two highlights of the year 2015 for me.

Here is songwriter Clive Gregson in an interview discussing the song and admiration of Glen.

https://youtu.be/Ec6cmuFn6Co?t=195" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And another article and explantion here

http://www.udiscovermusic.com/any-troub ... n-campbell" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dee

Post by Dee »

Great suggestion, Randy. I will definitely follow up.
I am also looking into obtaining approval to post Clive Gregson's lyrics here on the forums.

Been thinking about other songs referencing Glen Campbell in addition to Any Trouble's "Glen Campbell" and Ashley Campbell's "Remembering".

Jeff Dayton wrote a beautiful and heartbreaking song about Glen Campbell. It was released earlier this year: "“Long Slow Train Out of Town”:

The only other song I can think of is Marble Party's "Glen Campbell's Guitar". One of the band's members, Dan Barbee, put up this music video with lyrics:

I can't remember if I ever shared this information on the forum in 2013. I had posted questions to Marble Party on their official music video on YouTube for "Glen Campbell's Guitar", and one of the band members responded:

Dee:
I just bought this album and am really enjoying it!
Could you please tell us the story behind this song? Why a song about Glen Campbell and his guitar? Why this particular (awesome) guitarist?
Thanks!

Marble Party:
Really glad you're liking the album, thanks! The story behind that song actually originated back in 1980, where Dan (Barbee) was playing in a band with a guitarist who used to play with Glen Campbell. This guy'd had a bit of a rough go since the old days, and was convinced that Glen's music was that of the devil, and eluded that GC may have been the devil himself.

Dan never forgot this, and some 20 years later the song was born. Eric (Eisenberg, another band member) re-worked the verse lyrics, and the rest is history.

Cowpoke had tried to learn the name of the band member but to no avail.

Randy

Post by Randy »

Cowpoke , I agree it is terrible that Glen isn't able to appreciate this song "Glen Campbell" by Any Trouble. Dee any chance you could get this over to Kim or Ashley to see? The song blows me away!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsWVsbw0hHU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dee

Post by Dee »

Me too, Randy. I had some trouble understanding all of the lyrics.

A "Pop Matters" music reviewer, John Paul, wrote an insightful, glowing review about this song, "Glen Campbell", on Any Trouble's new album, "Present Tense":
(The) track “Glen Campbell” not only evokes the legendary singer and guitarists’ back catalog in its lyrics, but also his iconic guitar sound. Opening with a heavily tremoloed guitar figure instantly reminiscent of Campbell’s solo and session work over the years, the band delivers a compelling chord progression that rises and falls with a delicate intricacy akin to the best of Jimmy Webb.
From: http://www.popmatters.com/review/any-tr ... ent-tense/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Randy

Post by Randy »

Surely love the "Any Trouble" tribute song and would love to find the lyrics written out to it