Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Surfdog Reissues Ghost On The Canvas/SYT on Picture Disc LPs

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Dee

Re: Surfdog Reissues Ghost On The Canvas/SYT on Picture Disc

Post by Dee »

Fans, the reissues of "Ghost On The Canvas" and "See You There" are works of art, imo. I plan to never drop a needle on either one.
I have never owned a picture disc (vinyl LP), so I didn't know what to expect when I opened my two new picture disc packages today. (Both packages arrived in yesterday's mail.)
First, to be honest with you, I was surprised that the discs were not enclosed in regular cardboard outer sleeves. My bad. These discs were marketed on some online sites with the words "plastic sleeve" in the product descriptions. Oh, okay, now I understand.
The sleeves are extra heavy duty sleeves, but are still very clear, great for protection from dust and scratches. Perfect for display. I couldn't tell if the plastic sleeves are acid-free, but these clear view sleeves allow you to see both sides of the disc, which is very cool because each side has an image.
A commemorative sticker is affixed to the outside of each disc's sleeve. The download card is tucked inside the sleeve.
Now for the really good stuff:
The discs are HEAVYWEIGHT. Super quality. Maybe 180g; will try to find out.
Both discs have very shiny surfaces with a beautiful high waxed look that reflects light. I tried to capture the reflective quality in my photographs (below) of the "Ghost" LP, but my pics do not do it full justice.
Being new to picture discs, I could not determine if the image was applied on top of the vinyl (likely not, because the LPs are playable) or if the graphics extend at least partly into the actual playable grooved area. In any case, the images are of "picture perfect" quality with saturated colors that mirror the original album covers.
I can't think of a better way to honor Glen Campbell's 80th birthday than with these new picture disc releases--particularly "Ghost", the Glen Campbell album that has been referred to in the music industry as Glen's swan song album.
Ar, you posted below that fans should not wait to order these limited editions, and I agree because the picture discs will appeal to many Glen Campbell fans as well as vinyl record collectors.
As Rob would say, "Oh Happy Day"!
~Dee
IMG_6167.JPG
IMG_6167.JPG (53.68 KiB) Viewed 2903 times
IMG_6166.JPG
IMG_6166.JPG (51.98 KiB) Viewed 2903 times
IMG_6168.JPG
IMG_6168.JPG (65.14 KiB) Viewed 2903 times

Dee

Post by Dee »

Now available, fans!
Limited edition
Download card included
Currently being shipped and also included in Record Store Day's releases.
2016 GC Picture Discs_as shown on Glen Campbell (Official) Website.jpg
2016 GC Picture Discs_as shown on Glen Campbell (Official) Website.jpg (47.65 KiB) Viewed 2909 times
Banner Credit: Surfdog Records / shared from Glen Campbell (Official) on Facebook

Dee

Post by Dee »

An update on the new vinyl picture discs!

These limited edition special commemorative 12″ vinyl picture discs will begin shipping on April 15th, and are available for pre-order from Surfdog Records (click SHOP here: http://glencampbellmusic.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and other online retailers.
Ghost on the Canvas Picture Disc_2016_Surfdog Records.jpg
Ghost on the Canvas Picture Disc_2016_Surfdog Records.jpg (36.16 KiB) Viewed 2939 times
See You There_Picture Disc_2016_Surfdog Records.jpg
See You There_Picture Disc_2016_Surfdog Records.jpg (61.98 KiB) Viewed 2939 times
As Ar shared below, up until now, only Glen's 1978 album, "Basic", had a promotional picture disc release. It was a limited edition vinyl issue (250? 500?) and was part of a four-artist series. (The other three picture discs did not picture Glen or any of his other albums.) Below is a photo of the now rare, highly collectible "Basic" promo LP.
Glen Campbell Basic Picture Disc 1978-sm-gcf.jpg
Glen Campbell Basic Picture Disc 1978-sm-gcf.jpg (46.36 KiB) Viewed 2939 times

arlw

Post by arlw »

I pre-ordered mine from Amazon so I can't wait for them to arrive! The only picture disc Glen Campbell ever made/released was the "BASIC" LP! They were also hard to locate. Mine is either from Germany, or Switzerland. Ordered the Bluegrass and Ballad CD as well! As far as the LOVE SONGS go, there are few around and they start at 40.00.... I might give a heads up to my brother in Florida, and let him look around too! I should have pre-ordered it when it was available, but just so busy doing everything else, time got away! Glad the picture discs are being released...If you didn't order one now, I suggest that you don't wait on these either!

Dee

Surfdog Reissues Ghost On The Canvas/SYT on Picture Disc LPs

Post by Dee »

March 1, 2016
Great news fans!

Glen Campbell's 2011 album, "Ghost On The Canvas", and 2013 album, "See You There", are slated to be reissued on 12" vinyl picture discs on April 15th. LIMITED EDITIONS!
A picture disc LP of any Glen Campbell album is extremely rare. These releases are timed with Glen Campbell's upcoming 80th birthday on April 22nd.
Available for pre-order now (online retailers at this point in time)! Thank you, Surfdog Records!

This info came from a big GC fan, "Mike". Thank you, Mike!
These will be very limited, so if you want them, make sure to get your order out fast. So far, they will be available to North America, Canada included, thru Universal Music who is now the distributor for Surfdog Records. Picture Discs aren't known for their "sonic quality" even though they are vinyls, they are more for the collectible aspect. Well worth picking up...
(Original album covers pictured below.)
GOTC_2011 cover-gcf.jpg
GOTC_2011 cover-gcf.jpg (9.55 KiB) Viewed 3019 times
SYT 2013 cover-gcf.jpg
SYT 2013 cover-gcf.jpg (16.54 KiB) Viewed 3019 times