Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Ghost on the Canvas - Share your thoughts!

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
robduloc

Re: Ghost on the Canvas - Share your thoughts!

Post by robduloc »

Cal?

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

Ian Fleming, upon hearing Sean Connery was picked to play James Bond, "What, that lorry driver"?

The ultimate cut, yes, really?

Got the muskles, Olivsks... hard body, that Popeye.

Who were Fleming's picks? Leslie Howard, Noel Coward or David Niven. soft, soft soft.... or snake in the grass...

I guess Ian wanted somebody who looked like they got their face smashed in, or in Niven's case, a potato.

Anyway, we know who is the driving force or real leader in a band, it's the drummer, right?

And so yeah, the lorry is king of the road~ Rock solid.

Here is to all the road bosses that know every turn and twist. And watching our backs!

smile*

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

No Dee, he would struggle with that one.
I would sing,
I love my lorry
She's right outside
So don't be sorry
Cos, I got a ride
It don't matter who lived
It don't matter who lied
I got my lorry right by my side

It's called a truck in the US of A
But I call it my lorry,cos I'm from the UK :D

Dee

Post by Dee »

Oh, okay, thank you, Mike. Your being an articulated lorry in a previous life explains everything! ;)
Whew! I am glad GC isn't English 'cuz I can't imagine him singing:

I love my lorry
She's right outside
I ain't got much love
But I sure got a ride
It don't matter who lived
It don't matter who lied
I got my lorry right by my side

:)

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Sorry Dee, You would call it a truck. In the UK we have articulated lorries (The Cab turns independently from the trailer behind.) I was a truck in my previous live, that is why I am articulate now. :lol:
I sometimes think tumbleweeds were invented for my worst jokes.

Dee

Post by Dee »

Another past life!
But what is a "lorry"?

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

"Highwayman"

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Good point The Beach, Glen is of course a great example of that. I. E. People not appreciating his creativity. Many people have said Glen's guitar work has been very much under valued. Glen has even said that himself. I would also feel that as time went on and Glen was recording new material which didn't sell as well as he would have hoped, that he would feel that others didn't appreciate his efforts or craftsmanship, something he had put his heart and soul into.
Jimmy said last night in the London show

"Glen recorded over 80 of my songs, and he recorded them even if he didn't get them, on the bases that he would get them later. That showed me that Glen, was confident and in the quality of the material I was producing. Of course Glen usually got it" .I think that point showed to me that Jimmy deeply appreciated Glen's ability to see Jimmy's soul (Ghost on the Canvas) in his music and writing.
robduloc, thank you for your kind words. the reason I'm so articulate is, I used to be a lorry in my previous life. :lol:

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

The melody and arrangement for Ghost On The Canvas is kind of, or a sort of waltz, very waltz like feel, I mean.

And so there is the element, that life is a dance, and we all take turns, and should have some fun, living in the moment, numbers and positions will change, that's inevitable.

There is nothing wrong being in the moment, and to keep moving, we are all an outfit that way, yes?

I recently discovered a composer from the late 1800's who specilaized in the waltz, long after the originators had finished, he kept going.

There is an element like that in Ghost On The Canvas.

A beautiful arrangement which draws me in and is very inviting.

Like my friends, here.

Thank you, Mike and The_Beach

Rob

The_Beach

Post by The_Beach »

Mike Joyce wrote:I was discussing the lyrics with my son earlier and asked what his take on them were. He felt it was like someone who had been inspired to write the song after looking at some paintings, possibly Van Gogh, and describing how we are looking at something that was left by the artist after his passing. So it was a place between life and death and if we thought about it enough, we would see the soul of the artist in that painting because the artist was sharing his creative soul with us for all time.
Dee, referred to this as well. Later of course we have the line "we dream in colours, others colour their dreams" which could mean they paint what their imagination sees. The comment about people don't know when they are looking at souls, may imply that some people don't see beyond the image on the canvas and miss or don't see what the artist was trying to convey. We know Michael Angelo has had much discussion about his work, and all the possible hidden messages that might be there.In music and in art, some people don't have the soul to appreciate the deeper value of it and it remains beyond their vision so they never see the soul of the creative artists' work. Perhaps the song was intentionally vague in order to appeal to a wider spectrum of listeners. I feel this may be one of those songs open to many interpretations.
My take on what your son is talking about is Glen being very vague and is sorta talking about himself how people will listen to his music and we will see/hear the soul Mr Campbell put into all of his fine music!