Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Info needed....about Concert in the 60s

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Mike Joyce

Re: Info needed....about Concert in the 60s

Post by Mike Joyce »

Thank you Cowpoke, I appreciate those kind words. Sorry for being neglectful. Sometime work gets in the way and I let things fall by the wayside. Still its very touching to be welcomed back. you and Dee are always so supportive and I love discussing the various topics that come up on the forums. I have learned a great deal over the years. I have especially loved reading the posts from jay and Bluebird about Glen's guitars. They are so well researched and informative. well done jay for your hard work on that subject and of course Bluebird and arlw. I am loving the must see videos as well, great idea Randy. I will add some of my favorites soon.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Yes Mike I love that 1967 concert recording too. It shows all Glen's talents, but here it seems he is still trying to figure out how to use it. But you know what I love even more? The fact that you have returned to the forum! Thanks for all your posts, I have some catching up to do!

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Cowpoke, that is a fantastic find. I recall hearing it before, but it's been awhile. It really shows Glen's versatility musically and vocally. Amazing to think of how so much changed for Glen in a few short months. It's also strange to think Merle Haggard will be a future guest on Glen's own national TV show and be on an iconic picture featured on Glen's GOTC video.

slickchooch

Post by slickchooch »

thanks for the info Cowpoke.....unfortunately I can't remember what songs he did.....that was about 47-48 years ago....but I can almost say that he did
Gentle on My Mind.....I remember the other performers had the typical "Nudie Rhinestone Suits on"

hopefully someone might have some info on the Flint, MI appearance.....it was quite the show

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Dave, I can't give you details on the Flint Michigan concert (yet), but I can give you some idea about Glen's concert appearances around 1967.

In 1967 Glen did a number of appearances as part of country music shows together with other country artists. In that year Glen had two hits 'Gentle on My Mind" (released June '67) and "By the Time I Get to Phoenix" (released October '67) and toured around a bit (next to his still busy studio work) as part of these shows. I think when he got the 4 Grammys in 1968 for those two hits, he gradually started to perform more solo concerts, a trend that accelerated of course after his tv appearances on the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour and The Summer Brothers Smothers Show.

You can get a good impression of what a Glen Campbell set during 1967 sounded like here, from a September 1967 Hollywood Bowl concert in which Capitol Records presented its country artists.

http://crooksandliars.com/gordonskene/b ... ell-and-me" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The 1967 performances by Glen I have been able to find were:

KRZY County Music Spectacular (Albuquerque, Feb 1967) - with George Jones, Melba Montgomery, James O'Gwynn, The Dave Kirby Trio
solo concert at The Hitching Post (Albuquerque, June 1967)
The Country Sound at Hollywood Bowl (Hollywood ,July 1967) - with Buck Owens, Merle Haggard & Bonnie Owens, Dick Curless, Ferlin Husky, Tex Ritter, Red Simpson, Geezinslaw Bros., Wynn Stewart
solo concert at Mr. Lucky's (Phoenix, July 1967)
solo concerts at Caravan East (Albuquerque, August 1967)
country show at Hollywood Bowl (Hollywood, September 1967) - with Merle Haggard, Tex Ritter, etc. (see audio clip above)
Dance Party at Hollywood Palladium (Hollywood, October 1967) - Glen as headliner and Jerry Inman, Mary Taylor, Sonny Curtis as special guests
Nashville Night - Country Music Spectacular at Arizona State Fair (Phoenix, November 1967) - with Ray Price, Hank Snow, Roy Clark, Wanda Jackson
country & western show (Salt Lake City, UT, December 1967) - with Red Folley, Lynn Anderson

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Thanks Dave for your post! I will see what I can come up with. Do you remember some of the songs Glen did? That might help us pinpoint the date a little better.

slickchooch

Info needed....about Concert in the 60s

Post by slickchooch »

Hey All,

My very first concert was one with Glen as a "new" act. This would have been around 1967-1968, I think. It was a big country show at the Whiting Auditorium in Flint, Michigan. The only one I remember is Glen. Although I was very young (7-8 yrs) and an Elvis fan when that wasn't cool, I do recall how smooth and handsome Glen was and how he actually had some songs I enjoyed. I've scoured the internet in search of a billing of the other acts but have come up empty. Any ideas?? Now that I've grown older I've made full circle back to what I call Legacy Country, the true country my parents listened to. My heart aches for Glen and his family, he's a brilliant musician and he's from Arkansas what's not to like. Any help would be really great. Thanks. Dave