Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

"Required Viewing" Glen Campbell Videos

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Dee

Re: "Required Viewing" Glen Campbell Videos

Post by Dee »

LOL, Mike!
Very, very funny!
Glad you have adopted "Today is mine" as your theme song. Keep it on the positive, right?
Perhaps one of Jerry Reed's best songs? or, at least, best inspirational song?

Wow, Randy,
Thank you so much for sharing Glen's "MacArthur Park" cover-- great performance...and the guitar solo...there are no words for it. (Tears, yes.)
Yes, indeedy, he nails it. Glen knew it, too, at the very end--I appreciate his joy, too, when he closed the song.
Do you remember when you first heard MP (as asked by the host on this segment)?

It took me some time to find the next "required viewing" video. I think it caught my eye this week because I had recently uploaded the 1968 performance of GOMM by both John Hartford and Glen Campbell on our Glen Campbell Forums YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM4ECUohA-4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just think of everything these two artists experienced and achieved between 1968 and this 1994 (est.) performance (in Branson?)! They are having more fun this time, really rockin' the "Gentle" boat! It was interesting to me to see John enjoying this song as the "pop" song Glen had recorded. I had read in a bio about Hartford that before Glen's '68 recording, John had never envisioned his song to be "pop". He had written and recorded it as a folk song with a slow tempo.

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Hi Dee,
Sorry, I meant to say the video of Glen on youtube singing didn't we that you referred to.. It's not on a UK album.
If I was to do a medley of songs that suited what is going on in my life at the moment it would be
1) swimming up stream
2) Just another piece of wall paper
3) I'll paint you a wall
4) medley: If I were a carpenter/ I'd build a bridge
5) Another fine mess.

But seriously I think "Today is mine" is the positive one I love to sing.

Dee

Post by Dee »

Mike, you just won the 2016 GCF Award for Most Posts in One Day!
(This award is similar to the Nobel but you won't have to go to Sweden to receive it.) ;)
Right now, the theme song is a medley with "Shattered", "For Cryin' Out Loud" and "Lay Me Down (Roll Me Out To Sea)".
Do you have one? If so, I hope it is more uplifting than mine!
Isn't it puzzling that "Didn't We" did not get released earlier?
Which "Goodtime" album is this song on? A U.K. release?
Thanks!
Dee

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Hi Dee, I hope that "Didn't we" is the only song that you feel applies to you at the moment. :D
I noticed that Glen's performance pretty much stayed the same from his New Jersey album in 1969 up until that 2012 live version. Glen nailed it the first time and that seemed to be his template for singing it there after. The Goodtime version I thought very closely matched the live 69 version. I assume the orchestra would use the same arrangement which is kept by the musical director for future use by Glen. It was almost like hearing and seeing Glen at the New Jersey concert. The first time I heard it it really took me back to that version I heard on the live album. It was like someone had found a long lost video tape of the show. It's a shame it wasn't recorded at the time.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

I agree Randy that is a brilliant performance. Boy was he on top of his game there! Thanks for posting.

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Randy

Post by Randy »

Haven't posted on this topic in awhile so here is one. I think when you nail a live performance and I mean really nail it , it's special ! Glen nails this one , no doubt.

Dee

Post by Dee »

I am so glad you found and shared another site with Glen's 2012 Grammy Awards performance, Randy.
Such a shame the Vimeo one was removed.
In any case, it is Required Viewing!
"I'll Be Me" is Required Viewing!

Now, after my extended vacation (and armed with a new personal theme song), I would like to circle back to the previously posted videos of "Didn't We" written by Jimmy Webb and sung by Glen Campbell (scroll down to view the original post or use this short cut: http://www.glencampbellforums.com/viewt ... =457#p6060" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).
Again, there is a difference of 42 years between the performance in 1970 and the second one in 2012.
Did anyone try syncing these two performances on video to listen to at the same time?
Is it me or are there remarkable similarities in how Glen sang "Didn't We"?
My thoughts:
The tempo of Glen's delivery is the same.
Glen's phrasing in both performances successfully conveyed a similar mood and feeling, the same expression of remorse, the same reflection of regret; for example, crying vocally on the words "almost" and "long, long".
Then, in each performance I see Glen's enjoyment in performing this Jimmy Webb song and his appreciation of it, neither of which changed over the years. Not even after performing this song (or any of the songs in his songbook) maybe thousands of times during his long career.
Take a look at the stills I captured, one from each of the vids. In both images, Glen's eyes are closed. He is feeling the song, he is reflecting on the words: didn't we? didn't we almost make it?
In the 2012 video, one can see Glen was experiencing some symptoms of Alzheimer's disease or side effects of medication. Yet, he was still feeling the song and was still sharing that feeling with his audience. It is a beautiful performance.
The 1970 performance is a beautiful performance.
Only a consummate artist with God-given talents can be this beautifully consistent.
"Required Viewing"
Didn't We_1970_2012_GCF.jpg
Didn't We_1970_2012_GCF.jpg (55.87 KiB) Viewed 7647 times

Randy

Post by Randy »

Noticed the vimeo link Dee put up on Glen's 2012 Grammy performance wasn't working on my web browser today so I found one that is pretty good link.
What a great tribute by the Band Perry and Blake Shelton and great performance by Glen !

http://www.wetpaint.com/watch-the-band- ... ds-525171/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Randy

Post by Randy »

Sorry, What I meant to say is here is a preview of the documentary "I'll be Me"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F13AslSXg7w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Randy

Post by Randy »

Yes I agree Mike, Try a little Kindness does have great meaning. I'm no guitarist, but my ears tell me Glen's solo work got better as he got older. Why that is , I don't know. He was seemingly able to play any rift that popped in his head and in my opinion he always took care to make sure it fit the song.

Dee, couldn't agree with you more on the I'll be Me documentary still making an impact. I'm so glad it was filmed as it brings to light so many things, the terribleness of Alzheimer's disease, the love from his fans, from his family, and what I think was the benefits of staying active, which fortunately he was able to do as many are not.

Here's a link to the Documentary in case someone still hasn't seen it.