Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

"Required Viewing" Glen Campbell Videos

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Dee

Re: "Required Viewing" Glen Campbell Videos

Post by Dee »

Two more outstanding required viewing performances, Randy.
I appreciate how you pointed out the comments left on YT -- the respect shown by fans mirror the deep respect Glen's peers show for him.
Spot-on point about how Glen's peers are enjoying Glen's music (as fans themselves!) as well as admiring Glen for his talent.

Dang! The next video I feel is required viewing is on YT but the quality is terrible. However, I found a decent copy on Vimeo: "Glen Campbell Tribute on the Grammy’s". Fans will remember that Glen Campbell was recognized with a Lifetime Achievement Award from The Recording Academy at a special merit ceremony held on February 11, 2012. On the 12th, during the Grammy Awards show broadcast, a special music tribute was performed for Glen, and then he joined the celebration on stage by singing "Rhinestone Cowboy". (We saw part of his performance in the documentary "I'll Be Me".) At the time this performance took place, Glen was at an advanced stage of Alzheimer's but still gave (imo) one of the best performances of his career. How much of this performance was Glen in the moment, how much of it was "muscle memory"? The answer doesn't matter, I feel, because what we are seeing in his dynamic performance is the stuff LEGENDS are made of. Glen ROCKED this song, he put his all into it. Glen Campbell commanded the stage. (He even slipped in a few jokes about "the chorus" and interacted with other artists on the stage.) When Glen put emphasis on the word, "me" in the line "the lights are shining on ME", I get goosebumps and tears every time I watch him do this in the vid:
2012 Grammy Awards Tribute_GC-gcf.jpg
2012 Grammy Awards Tribute_GC-gcf.jpg (11.62 KiB) Viewed 3906 times
And then, of course, there is the reaction of audience -- on their feet, singing along, Sir McCartney included.
A huge thank you to "michael contorno" who uploaded the tribute performance to his Vimeo channel. You can watch it here: :arrow: https://vimeo.com/97191556" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Randy

Post by Randy »

I think if you watch the link Dee put up of Galveston and this one of Gentle that it's easy to see that Glen on these guitar solos actually became better. If you spend just a few minutes and read the comments viewers have left it is quite clear how it is "stand out " in noticeability. I firmly believe from watching this that Glen Campbell makes some of the best in the business enjoy themselves while admiring him. All you have to do is read the look on their faces....

Randy

Post by Randy »

Your description of Glen and that performance video you linked up are spot on Dee!

In 1968 the Male Vocalist of the Year and Also Entertainer of the Year is Glen. So glad someone had footage to upload of that CMA show that is now almost 50 years ago.

Dee

Post by Dee »

Perfect intro, Randy.
Here's another one that you introduced to us previously.
This is a 2002 performance of "Galveston" with a killer guitar solo that demonstrates why former wrecking crew member Glen Campbell is more than an entertainer; he is one of the best guitar players of our generation. I feel this is a "required video" because it shows us many of the qualities that make Glen Campbell great: his tremendous voice and guitar skills; he is at home on stage and loves playing off another artist; his performance is effortless (Glen seems to go into another zone when he is playing guitar--it's as if he is channeling his own guitar hero, Django Reinhardt). We also see another attribute that Glen Campbell has had all of his career: his rockin' performance brings the entire audience to their feet for a standing ovation yet Glen seems kinda surprised by the audience's reaction and even holds out his guitar as if he were acknowledging the guitar for the killer solo! He says a simple "thank you" to the audience and also thanks his band; that's Glen Campbell, always the modest and gracious performer. (Thanks again to "breautube" for putting up this video on YouTube.)

Randy

Post by Randy »

Sure would Dee, as I remember running across this song it still just blows me away! Couldn't start it off better than with an outstanding tribute song about Glen. Just amazing the influence and how Glen has touched people really everywhere. Enough of me , here it is...

Dee

"Required Viewing" Glen Campbell Videos

Post by Dee »

By Randy » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:26 am
Back when I was on the fire dept. we use to get some video material that was "required viewing". The song "Glen Campbell" by the group Any Trouble should be required viewing for any GC fan. It's that good! And it's not just the second verse where he sings about Glen and Wichita Lineman but it's the whole song. - Randy
Great idea, Randy! This new topic is dedicated to video material that should be "required viewing" for Glen Campbell fans including would-be fans from all over the world who find us here on http://www.GlenCampbellForums.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;!
These videos may or may not have Glen in the videos -- such as Any Trouble's "Glen Campbell" song. Live. Recorded. Music. Non-musical.
Posters can post just the YouTube URL for the video, and then I can embed it to display in your posting box.
Randy, would you like to start this topic with "Glen Campbell" by Any Trouble? :)