Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

"Required Viewing" Glen Campbell Videos

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Mike Joyce

Re: "Required Viewing" Glen Campbell Videos

Post by Mike Joyce »

Great video Randy, a message we can all appreciate. Especially in this day and age, and with all the troubles in the world. I wish this was played on the radio every morning in all countries.
Randy, I noticed that Glen began to extend his instrumentals in various songs like, Galveston, Phoenix, Wichita and so on. The crowd really seemed to appreciate it as well. I mention it because I recall Glen saying in a magazine interview on the forum that he found the audiences didn't seem to respond to his guitar work in the same way they loved his singing which really frustrated him at the time. However that seemed to change later and Glen did more of it and it really rocked the audience. Strange how things develop don't you think Randy.

Randy

Post by Randy »

I agree with both your points Dee , serving the song vs. the song serving him, with his solos, and although it is easy to tell he is rightfully proud of his playing, I agree he was never trying to go off in left field so to speak and just show off licks that didn't fit the song.

This video is one of my favorites as I absolutely love the part right before the solo , where TJ gives that point and nod , like "you go boy" if that seems like a fair description.

Dee

Post by Dee »

Randy wrote about Glen's guitar solos....."Always within the context of the song..." "...these solos all fit the songs perfectly."
I have been thinking a lot about your insights, Randy. Had not thought about Glen's guitar performances from this perspective.
So, would you say that Glen "served" the song with his playing and didn't use the song to serve himself?
i don't know how to describe my point clearly....how about...Glen put everything into his guitar performances but never "hammered" the songs, never got flashy, never used the songs to show off?
He easily could have left the groove.
Instead, he showed us the highest possibility of interpreting a song musically?
Do you think this quality in his playing could have been something he learned as a studio musician?
A primo video and description and a spot-on, very revealing quote from Merle Haggard.
Thanks, Randy!

Two more performances are up for consideration as "required" watching in my mind--the current state of which has been long stuck on "life and what it's all about?", "What's it all about, Alfie?", this Dionne Warwick song feels like the saddest song in the world to me and has been my "theme song" for the last year or more.

We have Glen singing Jimmy Webb's heartbreaking "Didn't We". Perhaps this song is the saddest song in the world? What could be sadder than "almost" making it? So close, yet so far away. Not meeting the mark? The connection almost happened, but then it didn't.

"Didn't We". First in 1970 during the second season of the Goodtime Hour. Then, in July 2012 about 4 months prior to the end of Glen's Goodbye Tour. Between these two performances is a difference in time of 42 years.

I know the point I would like to make here...but I am going to give it more thought first before posting. :)

P.S. Try playing both of these videos at the same time...get them synced up so that you are hearing, well, sort of a duet. Then, re-sync and watch both vids again, this second time without the audios.

Randy

Post by Randy »

In the words of the late great Merle Haggard "If there was ever an example of a man with too much talent in one body it would be Glen" . Dee , great early videos you posted. To me his guitar solos , improved tremendously the older he got. Always within the context of the song also. That guitar solo in Galveston is awesome, then to me he just blew everyone away on that solo with Ralph Emery and friends on "Gentle" . And here he pours everything into this one on "Witchita" and again these solos all fit the songs perfectly. And Merle is right !!!

Dee

Post by Dee »

Early Glen, required viewing!

I couldn't find "Glen Campbell - First Date", a super Star Route performance that used to be on YouTube (if anyone finds it, please, please post). However, these performances from around the same time period also show that Glen "had it" well before he became a household name. In fact, in My Window Faces The South, Glen unintentionally steals the show.

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Well said Randy, I couldn't agree with you more. I also enjoy all those who post on this forum and share their thoughts and stories of their experiences with Glen etc. It's great to have a good discussion about a great artist we all have a great love for and who continues to bring joy to our lives, even though he can no longer perform all those great songs himself. Thank goodness for Youtube

Randy

Post by Randy »

Anyone with a thirst for great Glen Campbell videos to view will love this channel. Cowpoke has put up a very nice variety of Glen's videos on "The Glen Campbell Forum" channel that everyone will enjoy. Absolute can't say enough good things about what Cowpoke, Dee, and Jay have done to make this forum such a nice place for Glen's fans !!!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD9mX1 ... v7QxeI09og" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dee

Post by Dee »

Wow, you know your required viewing videos to put up here, Randy. Appreciated this last one, too, although I remember thinking at the time of the broadcast that Glen should have been on the stage to perform. But, I won't go there again. Seeing this CMA Tribute in retrospect has given me a new perspective--especially to see Glen's appreciation in his smile as well as Kim's. Wasn't it absolutely perfect for Jimmy Webb to be part of this tribute, too? A huge nod to Jimmy and Glen's collaborations throughout the years their careers.
Dee

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Thanks Randy, I love the videos you are putting up here. What a great idea for a topic! Can't wait for your next pick.

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Randy

Post by Randy »

I know the argument was made at the time of the CMA tribute that Glen should have been up there singing. What these people did to honor Glen that night clearly to me overshadows that. To this day, watching it can still bring tears to my eyes, because it's crystal clear the love and admiration everyone on that stage and in that audience showed to Glen that night. Dee put up the Grammy tribute , which is equally poignant and Glen performing was icing on the cake. I cherish being able to view the both of these great tributes....