Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Glen Campbell CD's (Previously Released)

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Cowpoke

Re: Glen Campbell CD's (Previously Released)

Post by Cowpoke »

The_Beach wrote:Thanks for the info!

Does anyone have and info on why this page has more singles in the single Discography is larger then Wikipedia? Did Wikipedia forget to mention some?

http://www.loecker.ch/glencampbell/gc_disco_singles.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hi The_Beach,
actually that page is based on an older version of the wikipedia page. I have been one of the main contributors to Glen's wikipedia discography pages (as lumdeloo). I based my information on earlier research done by a few hardcore Glen Campbell researchers, Richard Price, Harry Warren and Kevin Allen (aka Windbag KOA aka Son of Flintstone :)) and a little research by myself. However, in 2011 I got told by other wikipedia editors the format I had (with b-sides, catalog numbers etc.) was not the right format and a lot of information got lost. Later I found a way to sneak in at least the b-sides that were only released on single under a separate section :) . BTW, here's is how that singles page looked initially:

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... S._singles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Someone called Atozafit1 has just been editing Glen's discography on wikipedia. Is that you perhaps, The_Beach? At first I thought it was strange that the single release from Guitar Gold (Louisville) was added and that Delight, Arkansas single too (and No More Night), because... initially I had them included as well. It's only now, after 5 years, that I see that with the big changes in 2011 that that other editor made, these single releases were also removed! So, I am glad Atozafit1 inserted them back!

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Dee

Post by Dee »

Wow, Rob, Son of Flintstone is a very generous Glen fan. Rare quality these days.

You wrote:
And then there are the Sagitarius Singles... sigh*
Was there more than one song? "My World Fell Down" and ???

Or are you referring to:

Usher's single of My World Fell Down (under the band name Sagittarius). This version of My World Fell Down was the single which appeared on a Nuggets box set and includes a musical collage in the middle which was removed for the version which appeared on the Sagittarius album Present Tense in '68.

FROM: http://www.elsewhere.co.nz/fromthevault ... down-1966/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Same song but the single had a musical interlude and the album did not have the interlude? (I hope I got this correct; it's confusing!)

Dee

Post by Dee »

Hey Rob, thank you for sharing SOF's published list and for researching the songwriting credits.
Glen Campbell and Jerry Fuller had a long personal and professional history together.

From Jerry's official website:
In 1960, while touring with the Champs (Tequila), Jerry discovered Glen Campbell performing in an Albuquerque nightclub (likely the Hitching Post where Glen had been regularly performing-Dee). Blown away by Glen's voice and guitar playing, Jerry convinced him to move to LA and hooked him up with Jerry's own show biz contacts. Glen's natural talents took it from there, and in no time, he became a fellow member of LA's "Wrecking Crew" of studio musicians and singers.
Source: http://www.jerryfuller.com/bio.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fuller's website description is, of course, an over-simplification of the timeline and events that actually occurred from the first time these two artists met in Albuquerque to Glen's career as a session musician.

On an online radio program hosted by Warren Bunn in 2014, Jerry Fuller mentioned that he was actually the front man for The Champs when he first met Glen, not a solo artist. He also talked about meeting Glen in Alb, seeing him perform, and then telling Glen to leave Alb because "you are wasting your life here" -- move to L.A.

Below is a page from Glen Campbell's autobiography with Glen's memory of their meeting:

[Click on image once to enlarge viewing window.]
Glen Campbell_Rhinestone Cowboy_Autobiography_Chapter 6-gcf.jpg
Glen Campbell_Rhinestone Cowboy_Autobiography_Chapter 6-gcf.jpg (98.95 KiB) Viewed 6002 times
Later, in L.A., they demo-ed songs together and also worked together on original material. ("Tons" of co-authored songs, per Jerry on Bunn's interview.)

Glen and Jerry also recorded together as members of the studio group(s) The Fleas / The Trophies... (Can you hear Glen on this recording?)

The "Lost Recordings" is a tremendous CD to add to your early years collection!

Following are a few singles I have run across:

Released 1966: Can't You See I'm Tryin' (5638 A side) on Capitol. Written by Jerry Fuller & Glen Campbell.

Released 1968(?): Visions of Sugarplums - sung by John Davidson (4-44478 radio station copy) on Columbia. Vision of Sugarplums is written by Jerry Fuller & Glen Campbell. Produced by Jerry Fuller.
Edited 9/5/16 to add: This song also appears on John Davidson's album, "Goin' Places" (CS 9654). A special gift to me from a Glen Campbell fan and discographer.

Released 196_(?): Whyd' You Leave, Genevieve (2-9561-1 / Z-1001) with When Am I Gonna Be Loved (2-9561-2 / Z-1001) on Zing Records. A side is written by Jerry Fuller and sung by Dack and Dirk Rambo. The B side is written by Glen Campbell and performed by Dack & Dirk Rambo. On record label: "A Jerry Fuller Production".

Check out Jerry Fuller's webpage referenced above for early photos of him and Glen -- including a photo of Glen as best man at Jerry and his wife's wedding. Glen apparently helped these two to get together! Talk about a "production"! :)

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

I know that when Glen Campbell first moved to L.A. he did a lot to promote Country Music.

That sort of deal is sealed with an approving nod or handshake, a good cold glass of beer, or pay for the next round.

And see who's turn or ticket comes up next!

Look up Jon Fromer, his people made sure to say in his obituary that he recorded with Glen Campbell.

I would too.

Lovely man, Jon Fromer.

Hope you come across his record album, "Jon, David & Elbert". It's on YouTube.

My copy just arrived in the mail.

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

This thread has a list of ninety five 45 Singles and twenty ultra-rare ones that do not include singles like Song Of New Orleans.

It is a fun record.

Son Of Flintstone has other fun singles to seek out. A number of them that he sent me at his own expense. Funnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!

1). The Fireballs
Bottle Of Wine
Can't You See I'm Tryin'
(unsure what is the "A" or "B" side)

2). Jerry Inman
Side A. From Me To You
Side B. Help

loverly~ thank you, Son*

Dee sent me:

Gene "Boo" Campbell
Side A. Uncle Boo's Boogie
Side B. Shirley Girl

The last couple pages of his Discography Son Of Flintstone also recommends these 45 Singles:

Jerry Guthrie
Side A. One Has My Name, The Other Has My Heart
Side B. I Saw Linda

Bill C. Graham
Side A. Have A Good Time
Side B. Reasons For Giving A Damn

Jud Strunk
Side A. My Country
Side B. The Will

And these also:
(eBay has been real good about posting these 45 Singles)
The tracks from the Everest and World Pacific Singles are on various Lp's
(My instinct was to get the albums first)

Everest 2500 (1971)
Side A. Delight Arkansas
Side B. Walk Right In

World Pacific
Side A. Black Mountain rag
Side B. This Train

Side A. Don't Think Twice (It's Alright)
Side B. This land Is Your land

Side A. 12 String Special
Side B. Amor a Todos

GNP-Crescendo (Gene Norman Productions)
Side A. Masters Of War
Side B. Don't Think Twice

And then there are the Sagitarius Singles... sigh*

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

I believe The_Beach asked me why I had a number of early 45 Singles on Crest and Capehart in my Glen Campbell 45 Discography.

They were in Son Of Flintsone 9 page, "Glen Campbell U.S. 45 Discography" (Short Version)

It took a long time to find out what are the songwriter credits, and as a collector, I was very pleased to see who pops up.

If these songwriter credits can be attested, that's fine, I am very sentimental and the older I get, more nostalgic.

It's been a lot of fun hunting down and listening to these songs in one form or another,

(01). Capehart 5008 45 Single (May 1961)
Side A. Death Valley (Glen Campbell)

(02). Crest 1087 45 Single (Sept. 1961)
Side A. Turn Around Look At Me (Capehart/Campbell)

(03). Crest 1088 45 Single (Sept. 1961)
Side A. Buzz Saw (Glen Campbell)
Side B. Annie Had A Party (Glen Campbell)

(04). Crest 1096 45 Single (Jan. 1962)
Side A. Turn Around Look At Me (Capehart/Campbell)

And then there are some of the initial entries for Capitol:

(05). Capitol 4783 45 Single (Jun,/Jul. 1962)
Side B. How Do I Tell My Heart Not To Break (Campbell/Capehart)

(06). Capitol 4856 45 Single (Oct. 1962)
Side B, Here I Am (Glen Campbell/Marc Douglas)

(07). Capitol 4925 45 Single (Feb. 1963)
Side A. Prima Donna (Jerry Fuller)
Side B. Oh My Darlin' (Campbell/Capehart)

(08). Capitol 5172 45 Single (Apr. 1964)
Side A. Through The Eyes Of A Child (Capehart/Campbell)

(09). Capitol 5638 (Apr./Jun. 1966)
Side A. Can't You See I'm Tryin' (Jerry Fuller/Glen Campbell)

Yes, I waited a number of years before I bought the Crest 1101 45 Single (Apr. 1962)
Side A. Song Of New Orleans (Capehart)
Side B. Theme For The Young And Blue (Capehart)

I probably heard the case that Campbell may have had nothing to do with that one as well as see Capehart gets sole credit for the numbers.

But bail me out here. We have Capehart, Fuller and Campbell appearing on discs well into 1966.

It's a wonderful window. Fuller went on to produce an album for Campbell. A very good one.

What was their working relationship, why did songs for singles keep popping up, well into the Capitol years.

Were they friends, perhaps, or what, would it take more than that to appear on product together.

These joint ventures are good for my money~

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

That Crest single by Jerry Capehart contains two instrumentals. So, given the time it was released and the connection between Jerry Capehart and Glen Campbell, people have suggested it could be Glen doing the guitar work. However, I have never seen confirmation in the form of AFM contracts or interviews by people involved in that recording session. Indeed, the guitar work on The Ballad of New Orleans has probably been taken from an old session by Eddie Cochran re-used and renamed by Jerry Capehart. The other side "Theme for The Young and Blue" has not been associated with Eddie Cochran, so it could be Glen doing the rhythm guitar. All in all, I don't think it really belongs in Glen's single discography.

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
robduloc

Post by robduloc »

Jerry Capehart deserves full credit, his name is all over the 45 Single, it's his brain child, he is capitalizing on his progeny's wealth of talent, the Song Of New Orleans 45 single is very bohemian, I'm sure that Capehart and Campbell were starved for success and much more, but I convinced Campbell was just plain starving, it's a wonderful testament who you meet when you roll up to a new town and hit the streets, there are other 45's Campbell appeared on around this time that really crackle from the heat of the Los Angeles tarmac. Capehart was also friends with Jerry Fuller, which led to Campbell touring with Rick Nelson and singing back up on Nelson's Lp right after Ozzie & Harriet went off the air, they were very tight, Nelson & Campbell around this time, say, 1965, there aren't a lot of stories circulating, but you know, what happens in L,A. stays in L.A.! Great progression though from Jerry Capehart to Jimmy Haskell arrangements.

Thank you, T_B*

Love, Rob

I bought the new Glen Campbell compilation today, "For The Good Times" for the two new previously unreleased songs.

Have a wonderfulo week.

The_Beach

Post by The_Beach »

Glad i could Help and thank you for posting all those nice reviews!

I had one more question for you....
I seen on your list of rare Glen Campbell CDs you gave Glen credit for Jerry Capehart single "Song Of New Orleans" b/w "The Theme For The Young And The Blue" (Crest 1101, 1962). Did Glen help record these if so what did he help with? Or did Glen do all the work and Jerry put his name on the single? Thanks

robduloc

Post by robduloc »

The_Beach, you help me so much by finding the info on Dream Baby sung in Japanese, and helping to remind me I have the information for True Grit sung in Spanish, I own it!

I had been posting all the main Glen Campbell albums in chronological order on my amazon.com profile.

I came to a dead stop when I realized after years of hunting down obscure recordings they don't have all the rare Glen Campbell 45 Singles in their files or search engines.

It would be impossible to call up rare 45 Singles and review them year by year if they aren't in the search engines, with no sellers in sight to donate one.

And so, today, I made a compromise and submitted a review for the 1971 Pickwick Lp, "The Glen Campbell Album" and inserted as much info as possible about rare obscurities.

Untill sellers come forward to enter or sell more obscure titles or Producers re-release them, I will have to settle for the review I posted today, it is the info on Dream Baby sung in Japanese that is the real clincher for me.

And yes, since The_Beach started this thread I am going to make sure to have a pen and notebook paper to record all the terrific finds and list here.

Thank you, for all your foot work!

Rob~

"The Glen Campbell Album" Best Source Of Ultra-Rare Capitol 45 "A" & "B" Sides That Never Appeared On A Main Lp Or Remastered!

Avid Collector's agree:

"This album, Pickwick SPC 3274 from early-mid 1971 or so, is a gem of early Glen Campbell Capitol 45 singles' stiffs that pre-date his GENTLE ON MY MIND period. Songs".

Thank you, Son Of Flintsone~

As a zealous fan, and ardent collector I see there that there over twenty ultra-rare Glen Campbell 45 Singles and the Pickwick Record Label had the forsight to include a good percentage in one package at a time when it wasn't the fashion or trend to promote alternate takes or bonus tracks, and since the initial package was released in 1971, I don't expect the sound to be that good, Pickwick desrves credit for preserving these ultra-tracks for future generations to rediscover, embellish and love.

To give you an idea of the scope or breakdown in today's marketplace, the time, effort and money it would require to hunt down and buy the them, I will list the titles of ultra-rare 45 singles that appear on this package in bold print and chronological order.

FOR STARTERS: ( A good place to begin building a collection of G.C.rarities)

"The Glen Campbel Album"

Side 1.
Only The Lonely
Same Old Places
Woman's World
Heartache's Can Be Fun
Let Me Tell You 'Bout Mary

Side 2.
Through The Eyes Of A Child
That's Alright
Prima Donna
Can't You See I'm Tryin'

THE BREAKDOWN (9 ultra-rare tracks on eight 45 Singles):

(01). PRIMA DONNA b/w Oh, My Darling
[Feb. 1963 Capitol 45 Single 4925]
Song Credit:
A. (Jerry Fuller)
B. (Glen Campbell/Jerry Capehart)

(02). SAME OLD PLACES b/w As Far As I'm Concerned
[Sept. 1963 Capitol 45 Single 5037]
Song Credit:
A. (Glen Campbell)
B. (Dale Parker)

[2 Singles] [2 ultra-rare songs]

(03). THROUGH THE EYES OF A CHILD
b/w LET ME TELL YOU 'BOUT MARY
[Apr. 1964 Capitol 45 Single 5172]
Song Credit:
A. (Jerry Capehart/Glen Campbell)
B. (Bobby Bare)

(04). Summer, Winter, Spring And Fall
b/w HEARTACHES CAN BE FUN
[Sept/Oct. 1964 Capitol 45 Single 5279]
Song Credit:
A. (Drusky Alpine)
B. (B. Bare/C. Williams)

[2 Singles] [3 ultra-rare songs]

(05). Tomorrow Never Comes b/w WOMAN'S WORLD
[Jan. 1965 Capitol 45 Single 5360]
Song Credit:
A. (Ernest Tubb/Johnny Bond)
B. (W.T. Walker)

(06). Guess I'm Dumb b/w THAT'S ALRIGHT
[May/Jun. 1965 Capitol 45 Single 5541]
Song Credit:
A. (Brian Wilson/Russ Titelman)
B. (A. Inman)
[2 Singles] [2 utra-rare songs]

(07). CAN'T YOU SEE I'M TRYING b/w A Satisfied Mind
[Apr/Jun. 1966 Capitol 45 Single 5638]
Song Credit:
A. (Jerry Fuller/Glen Campbell)
B. (R. Hayes/J. Rhodes)

(08). Burning Bridges b/w ONLY THE LONELY
[Oct/Nov. 1966 Capitol 45 Single 5773]
Song Credit:
A. (Walter Scott)
B. (Roy Orbison/Joe Melson)

So there you are. 9 ultra-rare tracks on eight 45 Singles 1963-1966 that have never appeared on a main album or digitally remastered.
By the look of things, it would be nice if Pickwick Lp "The Glen Campbell Album" be formatted for CD and MP3.

The list of twenty ultra-rare Glen Campbell 45 Singles look like this.

Happy shopping~

TWENTY GLEN CAMPBELL 45 SINGLES WORTH SEEKING OUT 1963-1984.
(WITH ULTRA-RARE "A" & "B" SIDES IN BOLD PRINT THAT NEVER APPEARED ON A MAIN ALBUM OR DIGITALLY REMASTERED).

(01). PRIMA DONNA b/w Oh, My Darling
[Feb. 1963 Capitol 45 Single 4925]
Song Credit:
A. (Jerry Fuller)
B. (Glen Campbell/Jerry Capehart)

(02). SAME OLD PLACES b/w As Far As I'm Concerned
[Sept. 1963 Capitol 45 Single 5037]
Song Credit:
A. (Glen Campbell)
B. (Dale Parker)

(03). THROUGH THE EYES OF A CHILD
b/w LET ME TELL YOU 'BOUT MARY
[Apr. 1964 Capitol 45 Single 5172]
Song Credit:
A. (Jerry Capehart/Glen Campbell)
B. (Bobby Bare)

(04). Summer, Winter, Spring And Fall
b/w HEARTACHES CAN BE FUN
[Sept/Oct. 1964 Capitol 45 Single 5279]
Song Credit:
A. (Drusky Alpine)
B. (B. Bare/C. Williams)

[2 Singles] [3 ultra-rare songs]

(05). Tomorrow Never Comes b/w WOMAN'S WORLD
[Jan. 1965 Capitol 45 Single 5360]
Song Credit:
A. (Ernest Tubb/Johnny Bond)
B. (W.T. Walker)

(06). Guess I'm Dumb b/w THAT'S ALRIGHT
[May/Jun. 1965 Capitol 45 Single 5541]
Song Credit:
A. (Brian Wilson/Russ Titelman)
B. (A. Inman)

(07). PRIVATE JOHN Q b/w Less Of Me
[Nov/Dec. 1965 Capitol 45 Single 5545]
Song Credit:
A. (Roger Miller)
B. (Glen Campbell)

[3 Singles] [3 ultra-rare songs]

(08). CAN'T YOU SEE I'M TRYING b/w A SATISFIED MIND
[Apr/Jun. 1966 Capitol 45 Single 5638]
Song Credit:
A. (Jerry Fuller/Glen Campbell)
B. (R. Hayes/J. Rhodes)

(09). Burning Bridges b/w ONLY THE LONELY
[Oct/Nov. 1966 Capitol 45 Single 5773]
Song Credit:
A. (Walter Scott)
B. (Roy Orbison/Joe Melson)

(10). Try A Little Kindness b/w LONELY MY LONELY FRIEND
[Oct. 1969 Capitol 45 Single 2659]
Song Credit:
A. (Curt Sapaugh/Bobby Austin)
B. (Bill C. Graham)

(11). TEMPLE DE ACERO (True Grit sung in Spanish)
b/w Where's The Playground Susie? (English version)
[1969 J 006-80-225}
Song Credit:
A. (D. Black y E. Bernstein adapt. R. Pansera y Forest)
B. (Webb)

[1-2 Singles] [1-2 ultra-rare songs]

(12). Dream Baby b/w HERE AND NOW
[Feb. 1971 Capitol 45 Single 3062]
Song Credit:
A. (Cindy Walker)
B. (Jerry Fuller/T. Kelley)

(13). I Say A Little Prayer/By The Time I Get To Phoenix
(duet w/Anne Murray)
b/w ALL THROUGH THE NIGHT [duet w/Anne Murray]
[Oct. 1971 Capitol 45 Single 3200]
Song Credit:
A. (Bacharach-David/Webb)
B. (Welsh Traditional)

(14). OKLAHOMA SUNDAY MORNING
b/w EVERYBODY'S GOT TO BE THERE SOMETIME
[Dec. 1971 Capitol 45 Single 3254]
Song Credit:
A. (T. Macauley/H. Hazelwood)
B. (Gerry McAdam)

(15). DREAM BABY (sung in Japanese, unsure of exact date, entering initial year of original release by default)
Houston (I'm Coming To See You) b/w DREAM BABY (sung in Japanese)
[CAPITOL ECR 10534] Japan Only
Song Credit:
A. (David Paich)
B. (Cindy Walker) Unsure who adapted the lyrics in Japanese

[2-3 Singles] [4-5 ultra-rare songs]

(16). MANHATTAN KANSAS b/w Wayfarin' Stranger
[Mar. 1972 Capitol 45 Single 3305]
Song Credit:
A. (Joe Allen)
B. (Traditional)

[1 Single] [1 ultra-rare song]

(17). BRING ME BACK MY YESTERDAY