Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Summer seems far away

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Mike Joyce

Re: Summer seems far away

Post by Mike Joyce »

Hi jay,
fantastic images you posted. I thought the detail was fantastic. I loved the threatening skies over the mountain range. You must have a good camera to produce those results, not to mention an eye for a good picture. They seemed also like portraits of a beautiful landscape. I felt like I could feel the cool breeze blowing across the scene. Well done and thanks so much much for sharing. I really enjoyed them.
Mike

jay

Post by jay »

Mike,
the graveyard scene is shot at the same location. It appears that a lot of props were moved in and then moved out, as none of the fencing, or out buildings are on that hill...nor are there any signs of their deterioration. I did see a couple of old horse drawn wagons that had deteriorated to the ground...but that was about it.

I have inquired a couple of places as to the history of this ranch. So far, no one knows a thing....which is disappointing.

I ate in the True Grit Cafe in Ridgway...which they left the original wall in the movie bare when they built the cafe...they had a ton of John Wayne memorabilia, not much in terms of Glen.
tgc.jpg
tgc.jpg (42.13 KiB) Viewed 5921 times
True grit cafe.jpg
True grit cafe.jpg (99.2 KiB) Viewed 5921 times

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

I meant to say, I always thought that the opening shot was just a picture, it was only years later that I suddenly realised you can see horses and a dog moving around. Not my best Columbo moment. :shock:

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

jay, that is a great pic. I am so jealous of you. I hope you had a great time there. I assume it is still a working farm of sorts?. Do the owners understand its importance to fans, do you think?
I was at a customers house the other night to do a quick job and I suddenly realised True Grit was on the TV.. The customer had muted the sound but I said this was my favorite film because of Glen. It was at the final scene in the grave yard and as I watched as I was working I was hearing the words in my head as Mattie and Rooster were talking.
It was lucky it hadn't just started, otherwise the job would have taken 90 minutes. and I would have asked for popcorn and tea. :D

Dee

Post by Dee »

Wow, the opening credits to the film, True Grit, don't do justice to its beautiful location as captured by jay in the photo below.
Thanks again, jay.

Dee

Post by Dee »

Outstanding photo. Thank you, jay.
Perhaps the cart and wagon were used in the original film?

Is this True Grit film location part of a national park or protected in some way?

jay

Post by jay »

It's amazing that it has held up so well. I may try to get a little history on it. I took a different route to take this picture this year and found the remains of a horse drawn wagon and a horse drawn cart on the hill. You could tell they had been there a long time, due to the deterioration.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

I think that is a great photo Jay. Thanks for sharing!

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
jay

Summer seems far away

Post by jay »

On my annual trip through the San Juans, I couldn't help but sneak behind the Old Homestead and snap a picture
The Ross Ranch outside Telluride Colorado
The Ross Ranch outside Telluride Colorado
1.jpg (109.77 KiB) Viewed 5902 times