Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Is Glen Campbell on "Guitar Gold"? Let's Discuss!

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
arlw

Re: Is Glen Campbell on "Guitar Gold"? Let's Discuss!

Post by arlw »

I own this LP as well and my copy is Mint. Nice to own and great for Glen publicity wise, My jacket is marked $10.00. I bought this at a record convention over 30 years ago from a DJ here in Dallas. What he told me is Glen is on this LP and when I went to several concerts and even the book signing, I also had asked about this LP. Glen mentioned to me that he was on this record, but not as much as people think he was. The picture was a slap on shot on the back and even if Glen isn't on this, I highly recommend picking up a copy. This record has had many answers throughout the years, so either way, I am glad to own this and there are NO SINGLES that were released from this. All I can say is, "go with your gut on this one."

Dee

Re: Is Glen Campbell on "Guitar Gold"? Let's Discuss!

Post by Dee »

No, sorry, I have no info on a 45.
arlw? Rob? anyone else here?

This is a good image of the back of the album: http://www.45worlds.com/i/1204668b18761c56f76" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Also
Side 1: http://www.45worlds.com/i/12e4aa1ba07acc29f3f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and
Side 2: http://www.45worlds.com/i/123623fc3c7becd9f12" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best of all, here is the link again to the album.
"The_Beach" posted:
I uploaded the complete album of Stan Capps And His Piano Featuring Glen Campbell ‎– Guitar Gold! I Have been looking for this on youtube for a long time so i decided to put it up myself so ALL glen Campbell fans can hear GC great guitar playing back in 1958!
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 6BsoPnNVZ1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks again, The_Beach!

Is this Glen playing guitar on "Guitar Gold"?

Cowpoke

Re: Glen Campbell on YouTube and Other Video Sites

Post by Cowpoke »

Good question Tim. I never thought about that b-side not being on the album. I don't have the actual 45 rpm record so I don't know if Glen is credited on that b-side or not. Perhaps Arlw, Dee or Rob can shed a light on this?

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
The_Beach

Post by The_Beach »

Dee, that sounds like a wonderful idea! That way we can get more people talking about it and find out more information about this album! :D

Dee

Post by Dee »

No info on the single; never heard of it! In fact, I was surprised to see it listed in GC's discography on Wikipedia.

Thanks so much for uploading "Guitar Gold", The_Beach. This album has been controversial one. It's very appropriate to discuss it here on Glen Campbell Forums!

The opportunity to listen to some of the tracks on YouTube is a first for me, and perhaps other fans can now weigh in on whether or not Glen Campbell is actually playing on this album.

Dee

[Edited 9.28.2016 - moved "Guitar Gold" posts under other topics to this one! - Dee]

The_Beach

Post by The_Beach »

Does anyone have any info of the Bside of the St Louis Blues single "Tender" from 1968 with Stan Capps? the A side is St Louis Blues which is on the album but tender is a non album track. Is Glen on the B side on the song Tender? if so does anyone have the audio to post on youtube to complete this area on GC to have it all on youtube for all of the GC fans can hear the great guitar playing of GC in 1958. :D

The_Beach

Post by The_Beach »

I uploaded the complete album of Stan Capps And His Piano Featuring Glen Campbell ‎– Guitar Gold! I Have been looking for this on youtube for a long time so i decided to put it up myself so ALL glen Campbell fans can hear GC great guitar playing back in 1958!
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 6BsoPnNVZ1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also mention somewhere else on the forum I uploaded the complete album by Glen Campbell of Country Soul found Here! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqjC3Cq ... FnPdMqnl8X" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

siblis

Re: New DVD / CD Releases

Post by siblis »

I asked Glen about this Album when I met him after a concert in Ocala, Fl back in 1995, & he told me that it was not him that played on the LP.

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

This is a difficult one Cowpoke. I have looked up Stan Capps pianist and found no results. I looked up Customtone records and found only that album. Its a shame Glen didn't do some vocls on the record, as he did on his other instrumental album.
The astounding 12 string guitar of Glen Campbell. That would have been a very handy clue. I haven't listened to my copy of this album for years but I will pull it out over Christmas to see what I think of the playing.
I guess having the recording and getting it confirmed as Glen sometime down the line, is better than not having it only to find it is Glen and not being able to find a copy. Good luck with that one Cowpoke.
Even though I thought it wasn't Glen, I kept the album anyway because it had his picture on it, so it still had a value to me as a fan.

Dee

Post by Dee »

Information from Hair about "Guitar Gold" (with his permission to post this info here...thank you, Hair!)

"Most of what I know about that (album) is from (another Glen Campbell fan and researcher, referred to in a prior post here), but I have no doubt that it’s the truth, it all makes sense, and I believe I asked Glen about it one time, very quickly, and he said it was 'bogus', his word. I don’t think Dick Bills was involved with it; “Stan Capps” just slapped a newspaper picture of Dick & Glen on the back cover to lead people on. I have a copy of the LP but it’s still sealed, I’ve never heard it, but (the same aforementioned fan) says it doesn’t sound like Glen’s style of playing, and he says it was a mail order album when it was new, and overpriced for the time, $15 back in 1969/70. It’s still an interesting record to have, just because it shows how popular Glen was at the time."

The search continues for Stan Capps!

Dee