Campbell and Dylan - Blowin' in the Wind

* REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL * 2017 CMA WIN! * PINTEREST * AND MORE

Re: Campbell and Dylan - Blowin' in the Wind

Postby Dee » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:19 pm

Thanks, jay and Cowpoke. I missed a few significant recordings.
I agree; the Southern Nights intro sounds like Jerry's!
It could have been used again by Glen, to a shorter extent, in the video I just uploaded:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aP_Q85Wngw
Is this possible?
This video clip is from the Goodtime Hour.

Beginning earlier today when I first posted this topic, I hear in my mind GC singing Dylan's "Don't Think Twice, It's All Right" -- solo.
But I haven't been able to find a solo performance.
???
New to Glen Campbell Forums? When you reach the bottom of this page, click on the next page number ------>
Dee
Site Admin

Postby Cowpoke » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:16 pm

Which Glen recorded on the second album by The Folkswingers...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12_String_Guitar!_Vol._2

And Blowin' in the Wind he recorded on the first album...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12_String_Guitar!
I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Cowpoke

Postby jay » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:09 pm

I think Glen used the beginning of Southern Nights from Jerry's intro to Don't Think Twice. And I think that Glen actually enjoyed playing the song himself. Probably one of the last ones he was ever filmed playing.
jay

Campbell and Dylan - Blowin' in the Wind

Postby Dee » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:01 am

This week, Bob Dylan was awarded the winner of the 2016 Nobel Prize for Literature.
About this tremendous recognition, I suppose one could say: That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for songwriters.
Congratulations to Bob Dylan on winning this prestigious award for his songwriting genius.

When this win was announced, the world stood still for a minute.
During that minute, Trump and Clinton did not exist.
Many people felt surprised at Dylan's win; some felt shocked.
Others were angry.
The minute passed and then "The Dylan Controversy" immediately started: Songs are not literature! The prize should have been awarded to "an author", not a songwriter!
Check out RollingStone's response to the naysayers; the article link is posted below.

What is Glen Campbell's connection with Bob Dylan?
As early as the 1960s, Glen Campbell must have recognized the genius of Bob Dylan's songwriting, likely starting with "Blowin' in the Wind".

On his third studio album, "The Astounding 12-String Guitar of Glen Campbell", released in March 1964, Glen included an instrumental version of "Blowin' in the Wind" as well as Dylan's "Walkin' Down the Line".

On "The Big Bad Rock Guitar of Glen Campbell" released in September 1965, Glen performed another Dylan song, again an instrumental cover, "Mr. Tambourine Man".

Also in 1965, Glen played on an instrumental jazz album titled "Dylan Jazz" by The Gene Norman Group. This album's 15 tracks featured Glen Campbell on guitar as well as studio musicians Jim Horn on saxophone and flute, Al De Lory on piano, Lyle Ritz on bass, and Hal Blaine on drums. Spin the LP by clicking on the embedded video below.

After Glen's popularity as a singer took off in a big way, he recorded Dylan's song "I Don't Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met)" for his March 1968 album "Hey Little One".

In February 1969, Glen performed a soulful cover of "Blowin' in the Wind" on the Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour with guest Stevie Wonder. He accompanied Stevie on guitar and also dueted with him. (See video clip below.)

In May 1973, Glen released Dylan's "If Not for You" on the album "I Knew Jesus (Before He Was a Star)".

Did Glen record any other songs written by Bob Dylan?

I guess one could stretch the Dylan connection to include "Nothing But the Whole Wide World" written by Jakob Dylan, Bob Dylan's son. This song was covered by Glen on his August 2011 LP, "Ghost on the Canvas".

I don't believe Glen would have been surprised or shocked by Dylan's Nobel Prize for Literature. Do you?

Why Bob Dylan Deserves His Nobel Prize
According to the Swedish Academy, Dylan won "for having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition"

RollingStone, October 13, 2016
:arrow: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/featu ... ze-w444799

D. Zink, c. 2016
New to Glen Campbell Forums? When you reach the bottom of this page, click on the next page number ------>
Dee
Site Admin

Previous

Return to All Things Glen