Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Would Glen have supported Pres. Donald Trump? + JW Songs

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
jay

Re: Would Glen have supported Pres. Donald Trump?

Post by jay »

I recall reading an article where Bill Clinton stopped and chatted with Glen in his backyard, while playing a round of golf. I also recall an article where Kim would not allow politics to be talked about at the supper table.
bc1.jpg
bc1.jpg (192.19 KiB) Viewed 3366 times
bc.jpg
bc.jpg (91.87 KiB) Viewed 3366 times

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Hi Mike! Glen was conservative and from the south. He was a registered Democrat at a time when southern democrats were on the right side (as opposed to the left:) of the political spectrum. When the Democratic party evolved into a nationwide progressive party in the early sixties Glen started supporting Republican candidates. But he was never a straight party man, as he said himself.

Glen performed for president Nixon, Ford, Reagan, Carter and Bush sr. I never was able to find out if he ever performed for president Johnson, either during his presidency or in the short period after his presidency before his death.

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

I think that is spot on Cowpoke. Glen supported Nixon and George Bush and loved Reagan. But Trump does not share their core values and I think he is far too controversial for Glen's tastes. Glen would, like many other artists, would have declined to be associated with Trump during the run up to the election and also on the day of his swearing in as President. This is interesting times for America and the world.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

I wondered about that Dee. Glen at the time really opposed to his fellow Arkansan Bill Clinton. I don't think he would have supported Hillary. But would he have supported Donald Trump? My guess is he would have said that he wasn't a fan of either.

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Dee

Would Glen have supported Pres. Donald Trump? + JW Songs

Post by Dee »

January 20th, 2017
GC_Photo Source Unknown.jpg
GC_Photo Source Unknown.jpg (25.37 KiB) Viewed 3400 times
Trump-Clinton_Photo Credit Patriot Media.jpg
Trump-Clinton_Photo Credit Patriot Media.jpg (26.87 KiB) Viewed 3400 times
Today we saw the inauguration of the 45th President of the United States, Donald Trump.
Can’t help but think about whether Glen would have supported America's newest president.
Conversely, if Hilary Clinton had won, would he have supported her?
:arrow: What do you think, fans?

A brief background on Glen and politics (from his bio on Wikipedia):
On The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour television show, Campbell avoided political topics. Around this time, he described himself in interviews as "a registered Democrat but I voted Republican a few times" and he performed in support of both Republican and Democratic politicians. Campbell performed the National Anthem at the 1980 Republican National Convention and continued to make a number of campaign appearances for Republican candidates during the 1980s and 1990s.
Another glimpse into Glen's thoughts about politics/politicians: