Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Remembering Glen Campbell (currently 12 pages, 100+ posts)

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Bonnie

Re: Remembering Glen Campbell (currently 12 pages, 100+ posts)

Post by Bonnie »

Thanks for your reply, Jay. I tuned in to the oldies station Monday evening, which had been paying tribute to Glen on his birthday throughout the day. I was able to hear a few of his songs. At the end of the day, I switched back to my usual talk radio station. The host was wrapping up her show, mentioning and thanking the guests she'd had on her show that night. I was quite surprised to hear her thank Jimmy Webb for joining her by phone, and disappointed that I'd missed it! But there is a podcast of every show posted within a few hours, so this morning I was able to listen to her visit with Jimmy. They spent several minutes at the beginning of the interview talking about Glen, but his birthday was not mentioned. If I'd been listening live, I would have called in to point that out! Jimmy is going to be in concert in this area this weekend, so he was promoting that, and I guess it was just a coincidece that he was on the show on Glen's birthday. I felt lucky that I happened upon it. Jimmy has had a great career, and there are many videos on YouTube of Glen singing Jimmy's songs, and Glen often referred to Jimmy as one of America's finest poets. Glen and Jimmy had a lot of respect for one another's talent. There was nothing better than Glen singing a Jimmy Webb song.

jay

Post by jay »

Thanks, Bonnie for dropping in. Yes, it was a pretty melancholy day, with all the pictures of Glen on Facebook and one song leading to another. It does my heart good to know that he is still remembered!

Bonnie

Post by Bonnie »

Hi everyone, I'm just stopping by to say I'm thinking of Glen and his family today on what would have been his 83rd birthday. A local oldies radio station has been paying tribute to him today, playing many of his best songs throughout the day. His best songs - what am I saying? - all of his songs were the best. Glen was one of a kind and his music will never be forgotten. All the best to his family.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Interesting to see that Glen's old drummer (George Green) is also playing during that Wrecking Crew tribute!

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

The Wrecking Crew's Farewell to Glen Campbell & More at Bogies

Sunday, January 27, 2019 at 6:00 PM – 7:45 PM PST

Bogies at the Westlake Village Inn
32001 Agoura Rd, Westlake Village, California 91361

Join original members of The Wrecking Crew Don Randi, Don Peake, and Chuck Berghofer along with an all-star band and some of LA’s finest singers for a multimedia music concert that pays tribute to the late, great Glen Campbell, highlighting moments in Glen’s illustrious career along with stories about The Wrecking Crew and more. A portion of the proceeds from this show will benefit the Alzheimer’s Association (www.alz.org).

Click here for Tickets: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-wrecki ... 4157493521
Make your reservations early. The last show sold out quickly.

The band:
Don Peake - guitar
Don Randi - piano
Chuck Berghofer – bass
Eric Ekstrand - keys
George Green (Glen Campbell) – drums
Billy Hulting – percussion

Special guest appearance by film producer Denny Tedesco (The Wrecking Crew Movie); Singers: Marty Ross, Gary Stockdale, Lamont Dozier Jr, Kiki Ebsen, and more to be announced.

https://www.facebook.com/events/218705389012053/

bluebravo

The Farewell Blue Guitar

Post by bluebravo »

Attached is the song my brother Maury and I wrote and recorded in my home studio as a tribute to one of our heroes (we’re in our 60s so we have been fortunate to experience Glen since “day one”.)

Longtime Nashville guru, Brent Mason, is on lead guitar. I had hired him before on some originals and when Maury and I did this tune, and we wanted a Glen Campbell guitar in the song, it was a no-brainer that Brent was the guy. Turns out (no surprise) that Brent is a big fan of GC and promised to do his best to answer my challenge of “channeling your best inner GC/Wrecking Crew and go for it.” Well, he did and it is truly the secret sauce that made this special.

I hope you enjoy it.
Attachments
The Farewell Blue Guitar.mp3
Posted by permission
(9.44 MiB) Downloaded 829 times

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Hi Jack, thanks for joining the forum. How wonderful that you made a tribute song. Can't wait to hear it! If you want, you can send the MP3 to admin@glencampbellforums.com and we'll see that it gets posted on the forums. Thank you!

Cowpoke (co-admin of Glen Campbell Forums)

bluebravo

Post by bluebravo »

Hi - I just now joined the forum. I have an original song I recorded as my tribute to Glen and wanted to post it here but it won't let me post an mp3. Is that not allowed on this forum?

thanks in advance

Jack H
Nashville

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The Gene Autry Museum of the American West as well as Mrs. Jackie Autry, widow of Gene Autry, had memorialized Glen Campbell after he passed away last year.

The Museum had posted this memorial on the organization's website:
At the Autry, we remember Glen for his kindness and generosity. He performed at six Autry Galas: 1988, 1989, 1997, 1998, 2004, and 2007. In 2004, he received the Autry’s Humanities Prize in honor of his work and accomplishments, which have profoundly enriched our understanding of the American West.
Included in the museum's post was this beautiful memorial to Glen by Mrs. Autry:
“Gene and I cherished our friendship with Glen. He was also a dear friend of the Autry Museum and a gifted artist who graced this world with his beautiful music,” said Jackie Autry, Founding Chair of the Autry’s Board of Trustees. “I will always hold him close to my heart.”
Below is a photo of Glen holding his 2004 Autry Humanities Prize. This recognition as well as the opportunities to perform for six Autry Galas must have been tremendous for Glen. One of his documented early childhood memories is of seeing Gene Autry, his cowboy hero, on the big screen at his local movie house. Members will remember, too, Glen's first guitar was a "cowboy guitar" painted with the image of a cowboy riding a horse, possibly Gene Autry or at least his likeness of the singing cowboy.

Also, the museum, located in Los Angeles, California, is in the process this year of gathering stories about LA's Griffith Park for a long-term exhibition. I submitted on behalf of Glen Campbell Forums On The Net the story regarding Glen's special connection with the park.

Glen Campbell with the Autry’s Humanities Prize 2004_c. Gene Autry Museum 2017-gcf.jpg
Glen Campbell with the Autry’s Humanities Prize 2004_c. Gene Autry Museum 2017-gcf.jpg (119.21 KiB) Viewed 25198 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

'He was a monster guitar player': Johnny Aucoin on playing with Glen Campbell
Cape Breton pianist remembers playing alongside Campbell on Star Route television series
Hal Higgins · CBC News / Nova Scotia
Posted: 11 August 2017

Johnny Aucoin played alongside Glen Campbell in a Los Angeles recording studio in the early 1960s. He also performed as lead pianist for the television series, Star Route, originating in 1964, where he joined Glen and several other all-star studio musicians in show's rockin' house band.

Excerpts from the CBC News interview with Mr. Aucoin, who remembers Glen fondly as a studio musician and on the Star Route stage:

"(Campbell) was a big session man at that time," said Aucoin, noting that Campbell had recently gone into the studio with Frank Sinatra to record Strangers in the Night. (GCF NOTES: The track for Strangers in the Night was recorded on April 11, 1966, one month before the rest of the album. Hal Blaine was the drummer on the record and Glen Campbell played rhythm guitar. -Wikipedia)

The studio musicians for Star Route backed up many of the biggest names in country music, such as Johnny Cash and Merle Haggard.

"You had to have sold a million records to be on that program," said Aucoin.

He remembered Campbell as a "humble guy who put everyone at ease."

"He was a jokester — he loved to laugh," said Aucoin.

Besides Campbell's playful personality, what stood out was his incredible ability on the guitar, said Aucoin, who described the performer as "a monster guitar player."

Aucoin said he still marvels how anyone could be such an accomplished musician without being trained in note reading.

"If you played a chord, he could repeat it," said Aucoin.

"I don't think Webster ever put a word in the dictionary that could describe the talent he had."

Johnny Aucoin is still in the music business, playing regularly for weddings, anniversaries, corporate events and sometimes at concerts. He lives in Halifax, the capital of the Canadian province of Nova Scotia.

Also from CBC:

An excellent biographical memorial post with photos from 8 August 2017:
Rhinestone Cowboy singer Glen Campbell dead at 81
:arrow: http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/gl ... -1.4239339
GC_Pebble Beach CA National Pro-Am 2004 PHOTO CREDIT Eric Risberg Associated Press-sm.jpg
GC_Pebble Beach CA National Pro-Am 2004 PHOTO CREDIT Eric Risberg Associated Press-sm.jpg (41.82 KiB) Viewed 25448 times